Buyer's Remorse? Help Me Out, Y'all...

P22Tyler

Murray, Utah
The Stinger is an awesome car but not necessarily great out of the box. When I first listened to the sound system I really wasn’t impressed at all. However, if you get in there and tweak the settings to your liking it isn’t bad.

My wife has an Expedition with the Bang and Olufsen system and that sounds amazing straight out of the box. Even after adjusting the settings the Stinger doesn’t sound as good but I would still rate it acceptable.

As far as performance goes? Put it in sport mode and use the paddle shifters. If it doesn’t feel fast to you then you need a C8 Corvette or similar. The Stinger is ridiculously fast and has tons of down low torque that you would never get in an Optima.

For gas mileage? This Stinger is actually tremendous..........on the highway............in Eco mode.........with the Coasting feature turned on. The coasting feature disengages the transmission when you aren’t on the gas at all. Once that feature is enabled and activated it helps fuel economy a lot but only if you drive it judiciously.

If you drive it hard it will give you all the performance you should expect. If you don’t drive it hard then it should give you all of the fuel economy you should expect.
Yeah sadly I don't think our HK sound system will ever compete with a B & O system. Those are top notch.

<pollux>

You knew that the Stinger is no mom's economy car and that has a monster power compared to your average Camry and even Mustang, so mileage is at par with the power, I have been getting average 28 even not trying but mostly put the car on eco, CD player? LOL who the hell uses CDs nowadays? :laugh: . Life is short for regrets, just be happy that you have one sexy weapon with all the bells and whistles that Germans do except for the over price and German badge. Just enjoy like many of us are doing, Cheers!

<pollux>

You knew that the Stinger is no mom's economy car and that has a monster power compared to your average Camry and even Mustang, so mileage is at par with the power, I have been getting average 28 even not trying but mostly put the car on eco, CD player? LOL who the hell uses CDs nowadays? :laugh: . Life is short for regrets, just be happy that you have one sexy weapon with all the bells and whistles that Germans do except for the over price and German badge. Just enjoy like many of us are doing, Cheers!
Genesis, I have a lot of musician friends whose older stuff was only ever pressed to CDs and they're local, so not on Spotify.

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
Hey, All. I need someone to talk me down off a cliff. Or at least help me with the issue(s) I am having that CAN be helped.

I traded in my white 2013 Kia Optima SX-L on a whim in June. It only had 75,000 miles and was an excellent car with an amazing sound system, Napa (Nappa) leather, and incredible gas mileage for a car that performed as well as it did. Would've lasted another 5-7 years. But the chrome wheels had seen better days and the backup camera had stopped working, and when I saw that Kia was ending the Optima line this year, I thought I could replace it and keep the same payment for a car that was 7 model years newer. The dealer found me a black one not too far from me and made an offer. But while I was there, the salesman asked me if I had a chance to check out the Stinger. I told him I saw it online, and wasn't interested because I didn't like the styling cues (I prefer the angular, squared-off front of Audis and Lexuses) or the hatchback-looking rear-end. But when he showed it to me in-person, I kept an open mind and noticed the "hatchback" wasn't nearly as pronounced in real life as it is on the Kia website. So I took a test-drive in a Special Edition they had there with the "High Chroma Blue" exterior and a beautiful chestnut brown interior. I liked it... a lot. But then I saw the one I eventually bought, a GT2 in Ceramic Silver (he told me finding one in Federation Orange would be impossible, but I later found 2 one state north of me), and he went over the options that one had above-and-beyond the Special Edition. After that discussion, I decided I needed the driver assist features and signed for it-- $55k later.

Anyway, I drove it off the lot and pulled up my Spotify app to play some tunes. I immediately noted a huge difference in sound quality from my 2013 Optima-- something I had neglected to try on the test-drive-- and not in a good way. Tones are WAY understated, and you have to crank up the volume to get anywhere close to what I remember from my Optima, even with the treble, mid, and bass cranked to +10. This is NOT the case with the satellite radio, which I have no intention of paying for past my 3-month trial, BECAUSE I pay for Spotify and I can play whatever I want on demand. I scoured this forum looking for solutions, but the only ones I saw were: 1.) don't use Android Auto (I tried using just Bluetooth, and it sounded exactly the same), and 2.) change settings on Google Play (which I don't use; I use Spotify). I even went as far as syncing up the song that was on satellite radio with the same song on Bluetooth/Android Auto to hear the difference, and saying it was profound is an understatement. SO much better on radio. I NEVER had this problem with my Optima. It was loud as hell at even low volume.

Additionally, there are some things that can't be helped and that I should have researched before I bought. First, my gas mileage is absolutely abysmal. I only do city driving, because my job is literally 3 minutes away and I'm working from home anyway. But the little bit I have driven it, even with 93 octane, I am getting an average between 15.1 and 15.5 miles per gallon. My Optima got over 25 with a turbo in-line 4-cylinder that I drove like a banshee, and quite honestly, I feel like IT accelerated FASTER than the Stinger. I could be wrong about this, because I WILL say the Stinger feels much smoother at higher speeds, but I sure do miss the gas mileage.

I also miss that my Optima had a CD player. I didn't use it all the time, but enough that I am missing that feature. Is there a way to add one after-market without having to install a header? Because I might just do that.

Lastly, the rear window is way smaller than my Optima's, so seeing behind me is harder, and I miss the panoramic sunroof I had in the Optima and the leg room in the back, namely for my main homeboy, my nephew. Those things can't be helped, but I would be remiss if I didn't suggest improvements.

Anyway, I guess what I am saying is 1.) someone please help with the sound and CD player issues, and 2.) someone please tell me I didn't make a huge mistake.

Thanks, everyone! Looking forward to your responses.
Pollox, if you paid $55k for your car, THAT was your only mistake. The GT2 lists for under $52k, and right now there is something like $8k in incentives on it. I know - I just got one Friday. Add in a few dealer discounts, etc., and you can get a little more off. The Stinger is one of the best buys in the auto universe right now.

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
Pollox, if you paid $55k for your car, THAT was your only mistake. The GT2 lists for under $52k, and right now there is something like $8k in incentives on it. I know - I just got one Friday. Add in a few dealer discounts, etc., and you can get a little more off. The Stinger is one of the best buys in the auto universe right now.
Agreed the best buy car right now.

<pollux>

It was closer to $53,500, and that included tax, tags, title, GAP, and a protection plan for upholstery, wheels, paint, etc.

TimT

Based on your original post and some of the feedback here, I would say that until now the things you value in a car are different compared to what the Stinger excels at, so the real deciding point will be whether your values adapt or you will just be left unhappy. Gas mileage is never gonna be amazing in a 3.3 litre V6 with two turbos attached to it but when put into perspective, gas mileage should never be a hugely decisive factory in the US because gasoline itself is dirt cheap compared to Europe or other parts of the world.
53,500$ was definetly a rip-off though and the sales guy clearly used the advantage of triggering the right emotions from you.

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
Based on your original post and some of the feedback here, I would say that until now the things you value in a car are different compared to what the Stinger excels at, so the real deciding point will be whether your values adapt or you will just be left unhappy. Gas mileage is never gonna be amazing in a 3.3 litre V6 with two turbos attached to it but when put into perspective, gas mileage should never be a hugely decisive factory in the US because gasoline itself is dirt cheap compared to Europe or other parts of the world.
53,500$ was definetly a rip-off though and the sales guy clearly used the advantage of triggering the right emotions from you.
I agree he did not get an awesome deal but I don't think it was a rip off or a scam, have you seen how much Germans overcharge their customers for base car and on top of that options would cost you an arm and a leg, having lane departure and cruise control alone would cost you thousands on the German side... How much people think the Stinger should cost 20,000 to 30,000 USD? Its an amazing car, I would definitively buy the stinger even with no discount at 50,000 something.

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
I wonder if people go see and build a BMW M3 with all the bells and whistles of the Stinger it would be easily close to 80,000 with no discount. Also people forget a freaking mom's car Camry with options would be 40,000 USD... yea a freaking Camry, the Stinger is Kia's halo car, a monster performer and a elegant gran tourer, amazing car for the money even at 50,000 USD. Dude you got what you paid for, just enjoy the car its good and you know it.

<pollux>

I agree he did not get an awesome deal but I don't think it was a rip off or a scam, have you seen how much Germans overcharge their customers for base car and on top of that options would cost you an arm and a leg, having lane departure and cruise control alone would cost you thousands on the German side... How much people think the Stinger should cost 20,000 to 30,000 USD? Its an amazing car, I would definitively buy the stinger even with no discount at 50,000 something.
Thanks, Genesis. I was starting to feel a lot worse with all the commentary about how I got ripped off. Window was $54,180, and I got a discount of $5k and $5k for my trade, on which I techinally netted about $1800. I took GAP because it saved my ass once before and I took a protection plan for cosmetic issues with upholstery, wheels, and paint. I have taken all of the comments that have been positive here over the last several days and am truly enjoying my purchase now. Thanks, everyone, for the input.

<pollux>

Thanks, Genesis. I was starting to feel a lot worse with all the commentary about how I got ripped off. Window was $54,180, and I got a discount of $5k and $5k for my trade, on which I techinally netted about $1800. I took GAP because it saved my ass once before and I took a protection plan for cosmetic issues with upholstery, wheels, and paint. I have taken all of the comments that have been positive here over the last several days and am truly enjoying my purchase now. Thanks, everyone, for the input.

Attachments

ecko04

Stinger Enthusiast
My wife had a 2016 Optima (EX or SX — I don’t recall). Comparing it to the Stinger is absurd in every way.

I think you’ll like what you have, but in no tangible way should you have felt the need to buy right away. Those Optimas will still be on the lots well into next year, and the prices will continue to drop as people move into SUVs. And the Stinger will also continue to be on lots.

It sounds more like you miss your Optima for nostalgia purposes and the fact that you know the line will be discontinued after this year. So you’re finding every reason for why your new ride isn’t your old ride despite knowing it before you bought it.

Going to the local dealer and basically walking out with a car is a guaranteed way to have one pulled over on you in terms of the deal. But, what’s done is done. Enjoy the car.

And it’s 2020, whatever you were listening to on CD can be converted and stored in the cloud for you to listen to through an app on your phone.

Rynil2000

Cumming, GA
People buy cars based on the sound system??
Well, kind of... I know that when I was looking to purchase, I was heavily weighing my options between a GT and a GT1. The added features of the GT1, among them the better sound system, helped push me into the higher trim level. There were many other bonuses apart from that over the GT, but it definitely made a strong initial impression on me when testing between either trim.

<pollux>

Just commenting to let you know the default volume for phone is lower than everything else. You can change the setting as seen in the picture Ive attached. Settings -> sound -> volume -> phone projection
Thanks, Dev for taking the time to advise! I already tried this though. All that does is control the volume for Android Auto, which is the same as simply turning up the volume with the knob (i.e.: when I go back to Android Auto after I adjust it, the volume matches the number I chose on the Phone Projection screen). The problem I am having is that there is np bass or depth at the same volume where the radio is blaring. I have actually benchmarked this. I go to a random Surius XM channel and find a good song, then find that on Spotify. I switch back and forth between the two audio sources, and let me tell you, it's like night and day. I am wondering if Harmon Kardon didn't program the system correctly, like the amp settings are different for the radio than they are for Bluetooth and Android Auto. I have the same problem no matter which I use. I'm truly at a loss. I've warmed up to the car and decided I like it, but this has really got the better of me. I know it's not a blown speaker or sub or amp, becuase the sound with satellite radio is quite excellent.

<pollux>

Thanks, Dev for taking the time to advise! I already tried this though. All that does is control the volume for Android Auto, which is the same as simply turning up the volume with the knob (i.e.: when I go back to Android Auto after I adjust it, the volume matches the number I chose on the Phone Projection screen). The problem I am having is that there is np bass or depth at the same volume where the radio is blaring. I have actually benchmarked this. I go to a random Surius XM channel and find a good song, then find that on Spotify. I switch back and forth between the two audio sources, and let me tell you, it's like night and day. I am wondering if Harmon Kardon didn't program the system correctly, like the amp settings are different for the radio than they are for Bluetooth and Android Auto. I have the same problem no matter which I use. I'm truly at a loss. I've warmed up to the car and decided I like it, but this has really got the better of me. I know it's not a blown speaker or sub or amp, becuase the sound with satellite radio is quite excellent.
*no bass or depth...