kia stinger store

Borla Exhaust for Kia Stinger

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
It never droned. Thermal, Magnaflow, and (probably) Stillen don't drone. But they provide a fraction of the sound that Borla does.
Then... umm... why did you dynomat? Like, isn’t the point to hear the new exhaust tone be louder than stock...ummmmmmmm

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Oh, this is what it looked like after doing the trunk and under the rear seats. I stuck the dynaliner to the underside of the panel that covers the spare.

20181214_163206.jpg

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
Then... umm... why did you dynomat? Like, isn’t the point to hear the new exhaust tone be louder than stock...ummmmmmmm

It may be the point to some but no, I didn't buy an exhaust for more noise. I chose Thermal specifically because it was the quietest option available (at the time). I wanted performance increase (removing the crimps and bends) not sound increase.

Like I said, I dynamatted the car to give it more of a "luxurious" feel because I was actively shopping for an Audi. Instead of trading the Stinger in I figured I'd spend some money to upgrade the ambience of the interior. (lighting, sound deadening, and audio upgrades) So far its stopped me from dumping the Stinger.

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
It may be the point to some but no, I didn't buy an exhaust for more noise. I chose Thermal specifically because it was the quietest option available (at the time). I wanted performance increase (removing the crimps and bends) not sound increase.

Like I said, I dynamatted the car to give it more of a "luxurious" feel because I was actively shopping for an Audi. Instead of trading the Stinger in I figured I'd spend some money to upgrade the ambience of the interior. (lighting, sound deadening, and audio upgrades) So far its stopped me from dumping the Stinger.
Fair enough. Good stuff

Doel

1000 Posts Club!
Birmingham, Al.

hows the sound with the downpipes? I'm sure it has to be louder than stock at least a bit.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!
hows the sound with the downpipes? I'm sure it has to be louder than stock at least a bit.

My exhaust has been modded since April or May so I don't really recall the stock sound BUT it did make it louder than with the Thermal alone. I crack my garage door and warm my car up in the morning and I can hear it throughout the house. I couldn't before.

Many people with stock exhaust report the SSR doesn't really make it louder but it does change the tone.

Doel

1000 Posts Club!
Birmingham, Al.
My exhaust has been modded since April or May so I don't really recall the stock sound BUT it did make it louder than with the Thermal alone. I crack my garage door and warm my car up in the morning and I can hear it throughout the house. I couldn't before.

Many people with stock exhaust report the SSR doesn't really make it louder but it does change the tone.

yeah but I've heard the downpipes make a pretty big difference when you have an aftermarket catback. Not the case with the SSRs?

derekcal

Newish Member
yeah but I've heard the downpipes make a pretty big difference when you have an aftermarket catback. Not the case with the SSRs?
I cant speak for SSR downpipes, but Ive installed ultimate performance downpipe/midpipe, and its deffinatly louder in a good way, I also have Ark catback.

Kamauxx

2500 Posts Club!

The sound now is completely different. It's louder and sounds more aggressive.

Ozstung

5000 Posts Club!
Western Sydney.
Has anyone tried lining the bottom of the trunk cover? A lot of sound gets through that, I bet it would help to line that as well as the rest of the trunk.
Exactly what I plan on doing with some 1/4" dynaliner. Problem is everyday is 100f & 70% humidity- crazy.

Fl stingergt

Stinger Enthusiast
I have borla . Dynomated rear it drops it a lot the noise that is. What do you think all these high end cars with exhaust deal with it’s louder that’s the trade off for better sound and more power.plus it’s not a v8. 4 and 6 cylinder engines just work off different harmonics so the sound is just at a weird louder pitch. Instead of deep growl of v8,v10,v12. Like someone said earlier in forum you just try to make it bearable or keep it stock.

inthebay

Newish Member
There was never any vibration type drone, I have experienced that unpleasant drone in other cars before- No, nothing like that. And it never was a long extended noise (I hate calling it drone). I heard it described as the motor comes "on the pipe", a harmonic noise that I thought was sweet but too much of. So I kinda followed Sarge and others damping and sound-proofing my Stinger. Between the sound work and the exhaust mellowing, I get more complements than any car I owned before. I love it and do not regret the purchase- but it took a few hours of easy work making my car right for it.

EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE. To me the Stinger is not the car for an obnoxious LOUD exhaust, the Borla is not that type loud, by any means.
I probably made the Borla noise level appear worse than it was. The LOUD that bothered me was the dB level that reverberated into the cab as you aggressively ramp the rpms through 1900-2400 or so. The motor then is really happy, as is the driver when pushing it. But this exhaust really was not loud outside, sounds pretty exotic (as others often say). I say it pairs up well with MY Stinger.

Be ready to do a little sound control work around the spare tire housing, I think this work made mine very pleasant. Nothing rattling...
It is still LOUD when I push the LOUD pedal... Not TOO LOUD

How did the UltraTouch Denim roll workout? Did it help?

JohnG7

Texas gulf coast
How did the UltraTouch Denim roll workout? Did it help?

The denim bats worked great, I ended up removing the dense foam I used in testing and replacing all of it with denim.

BUT- In trying to dampen or lessen sound, success will require use of various density products. This denim bat is great for stuffing into voids, to have success use a few damping materials. Once I installed the UltraTouch Denim, my results were good enough that I stopped my attempts at keeping noise out, the end. Make sound work a little, it loses its edge.

I bought my Borla to HEAR IT, I STILL love it's tone, STILL consider it the best I have heard. Now it is LOUD when I want it to be, but sweet- AND IT WILL NEVER,EVER BE MISTAKEN FOR A TESLA.

Yes, the UltraTouch Denim did help (but by itself I doubt you'd hear much difference).
Setup a decibel meter app on your phone (or handheld dB meter), each method used relies on the others for best success.

95 dB out the pipes is going to be heard, your foot IS the volume control.

Trafficman

Newish Member
Actually ARK Grip exhaust has no drone :) I installed it yesterday and filmed the install for everyone. I like it a lot. I do need more drive time with it but there is no drone what so ever. They added these crazy pipes i cant remember the name off shooting off the side and those are to remove all the drone. Video is just about Rendered and i need to upload it. I have some decent audio clips so guys wait to check it out before you make a decision. :) I will post it in the DIY section of this forum when its ready to go
I saw sound clips of the ARK exhaust.
I liked the sound also myself..
But the price was around 1600-1900.
Correct?

nhcowboy28

2500 Posts Club!
Alpharetta, GA
70FDFB46-3265-455F-923A-A7D103D04D56.png
I saw sound clips of the ARK exhaust.
I liked the sound also myself..
But the price was around 1600-1900.
Correct?