Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Battery Maintenance

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by SilverNitr8, Dec 15, 2018.

1. SteveCo

SteveCo United States 1000 Posts Club!

Yes, I have a pigtail connection for a CTEK intelligent float charger/maintainer (max 2.2A) attached to the under hood connections as well. I've used the same arrangement for years for motorcycles and summer only vehicles, and will use it to do the same for the Stinger if I'm away for an extended period. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  2. RVance

RVance United States Active Member Sustaining Member

I'm sure I'd touch something I shouldn't and fry the box.

3. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Interesting. My family has three vehicles with trunk-mounted batteries and all three provide engine-compartment access for jump starting. The Stinger manual includes a picture:
    Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 10.17.04.png Screen Shot 2019-04-10 at 10.16.24.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteveCo

Yes, that is interesting. Apparently the 2018 manual procedural text was in error, and they've made a revision to correct it.

The 2018 manual does contain a picture, but the written procedure reads as follows:

upload_2019-4-10_8-31-30.png

Based on the update to the 2019 manual, it appears that boosting it at the engine compartment terminals is fine. Thanks for posting that excerpt, I'll put an addendum in my manual! :thumbup:

5. Wilzer

Wilzer United States Member

? Is there a "Main" fuse in the engine compartment fuse box to disconnect the battery for a long inactive, storage period.

6. SteveCo

There is an 'ON/OFF' switch in the primary fuse panel, beneath the steering column.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Wilzer

Wilzer United States Member

Asked this because former car was one famous for "Dead Battery Syndrome" Had to disconnect battery if away for more than 2 weeks.
    Thank you, Thank you.
    Lovin' my Stinger more and more

8. Bill Lesser

Bill Lesser United States Newish Member

I run one of these 5 amp Battery Tenders wired to the battery in the trunk. Currently I just pull the plug out and close the hatch when in use. I have an extension cord I plug it into. I have a permanent water proof plug adapter I will be installing soon. I have cameras and hotspot always running so I will plug the car in if it sits for more than a few days.

Attached Files:

9. SonomaGT

SonomaGT United States Active Member

Hi all- thank you for posting this topic. I have a question about the ctek smart battery charger. I purchased one with a 12 volt adapter after seeing somewhere on a stinger forum that someone in the midwest was charging their car through the 12 volt adapter I found out the 12 volt is not active unless car is running, so that won't work. Has anyone been successful in charging through the 12 volt? Wondering how that person did that - unless fake news? Lol. I found the positive clip under the hood and the negative bolt. My question is the ctek terminal clips aren't long enough to reach the positive and negative at the same time. Can I split the plastic on the cable wires to extend length or wondering how you guys managed to connect with ctek? As it was delivered, the reach on the cables is about a foot. Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but I'm not used to newer cars and don't want to fry it. I'll take to my dealer if needed, so no worries if I don't receive an answer. Thanks again for all the great info.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SonomaGT

SonomaGT United States Active Member

When you have a moment could you kindly post a pic of the pigtail connectors? Thx so much!

11. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

No idea what kind of cables you have, but if they look something like these, where the red and black are joined until a short distance from the clips, then yes, you can carefully pull them apart until you get the separation you need to attach to both posts.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted