Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

All Season tires

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by Waynerm002, Sep 19, 2018.

1. BallsAwesome

BallsAwesome United States Active Member

I went with Quatrac 5s. Top notch, in my opinion

2. Jay Tea

Jay Tea United States Newish Member

An update on my all-season winter tire inquiry (quiet, capable, reasonable price), for my AWD GT2:

I purchased 4 new General Altimax RT43 LX V-rated tires (235/45R18), mounted on new 18x8 Moda MD26 wheels.

The smaller diameter tires with taller sidewalls makes for a smooth ride, plus this combination has reduced rotational unsprung weight ~50 pounds from OEM.

Tread wear rating on the Generals is a respectable 700, and eliminating staggered wheels allows me to rotate this winter rubber frequently.

The color of the Moda wheels is very close to the 'burnt chrome' color of the trim pieces behind the front wheel wells, so they blend nicely.

The Altimax tires are more comfortable and quieter than OEM on asphalt roads at highway speeds. They still sing a bit on concrete highways, but I don't think that noise can be completely eliminated.

I have driven these in up to 6" of both dry and wet snow, and they are responsive at 'normal' speeds. Haven't tried aggressive driving on this set-up in the snow yet, that will come later when I can find an empty Walmart parking covered in slippery stuff ... Yee Haw!

Tire Rack's total out-the-door price was a reasonable $1,470. The new TPMS valves provided by Tire Rack 'paired' perfectly with the car's monitoring system (no need to have the dealer sync the new valves).

Happy winter driving!

• Like Like x 1
  3. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Active Member

Pics of your wheels please...

4. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Those Generals are Grand Touring All Season tires which will be softer than High Performance or Ultra High Performance All Season tires and will have a longer threadwear rating. You might still wear them down faster due to the weight of the Stinger and the high power output, if you tend to drive hard. The Nitto’s being a UHP AS tire is actually quieter on all surfaces than other UHP AS tires and some GT tires I have used, on concrete, they are the quietest I have ever driven on. I thought about using the General G-MAX AS05 I have on the Optima Hybrid on the Stinger but decided on a different path in the end and have been happy with them since.

5. Oryan

Oryan United States Member

I'm almost a Michelin shill. I've run Pilot Sport A/S 3 and 3+ on my Genesis Coupe with an open diff, a 370z, and a 500whp FWD(Because Im dumb) Talon. I was sold when the dumping we got like 3-4 years ago stranded my fiance's Jeep but I was still able to get around in a rwd coupe on them :p. I've heard good things about Continental DSW 06 as well. More than tires though, the biggest thing is knowing how to drive what you have. No sudden or drastic inputs of steering, throttle or brake, assuming everyone else around you is an idiot, especially SUVs and trucks, etc. In the event that there's still a ton of snow on the ground and I either can't or don't want to risk my cars the better half has a Sedona that just doesn't give a damn about what's outside.

6. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

I also went with the Motivos and love the handling so fa. We just had a dusting of snow on the streets this morning and they hooked wll and took corners without any sliding or slippage. We might be getting an inch of snow tomorrow evening, so might be able to try them in that.

7. GRStinger

GRStinger United States Active Member

I'm sort-of in that camp too. Granted, I haven't tried every brand, but I've owned dozens of cars and have bought many dozens of tire sets, an every set of Michelin's I've had have been better than most-every other tire I've tried. (IMHO - the great French contributions to civilization: the bread, Michelin, foie gras - not necessarily in that order :p ) I'm running the Ice-X's now for winter and they are great. I have the AWD Stinger with squared 18's. I didn't even bother trying the OEM AS Potenzas for winter. I've had a 'cousin' of that tire - the Turenza AS. They were decent in dry/summer conditions, but absolutely sucked in snow/ice. BTW - I've got 18k miles on the Potenza's. I'll be back round-about mid-summer to ask you guys for a recommendation for replacements.

8. TwiceStung

TwiceStung United States Member

Mounted Nokian WRG4’s on new rims on my 2.0 RWD. Don’t need true winter tires here in Asheville, although they are saying we will get 1-2 feet of snow by Sunday night. Probably not the best situation to try the new tires since there are no flat or straight roads here. These tires can be run year round and have very high ratings.

9. Waynerm002

Michelin’s have been good to me over the years and some haven’t been so great. I don’t mind trying other brands and have had good experience with them. Had some really sticky summer Continentals, grippy Nokians, quiet Pirelli’s and now some great Nitto’s. Had slippery Bridgestones, noisy BF Goodrich and hard Dunlop’s as well as some quiet, comfortable, wet weather Kumho Ecsta with soft sidewalls that were crappy when cornering hard. The thing I learned is that you gotta chose the one that’s best for how you drive and for your comfort level, no one tire does it all but some do a pretty great overall job.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TwinSnails

TwinSnails United States Active Member

Keep me updated on the tires, my RWD GT here in NC would like to know lol.

11. TwiceStung

They are a little louder than the stock summers it came with......the crappy Potenzas. But any tire with a hint of aggressive tread will be louder. These aren’t even “worn-in” yet. Don’t know when I’ll get to test them......guess when we have the first inch or two of what may be over a foot here in Hendersonville NC.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JoeShmo

JoeShmo United States Newish Member

@Waynerm002, Trigger has been pulled. 2019 GT2 AWD in Panthera Metal; but it came with the 19inch Pilot Sport 4.
    Like @BallsAwesome, I went with the 18" Vredestein Quatrac 5, which were the 2nd highest rated on tirerack, scoring an 8.6/10 on ice! For a set of wheels, I went with the Helo HE907, Hopefully it looks decent on the car. I should be getting them on monday.
    he907.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  13. TwinSnails

TwinSnails United States Active Member

I love those wheels! Can’t wait to see pics.

14. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Those are going to snap on the Stinger. But, they look like they'll be a pain to clean!

15. Waynerm002

Congrats! Welcome to the club! I saw that car at Parsons the last time I was there. I like the look of those but without the black portion, sort of remind me of the current Optima SX wheels. I wouldn’t mind something similar as the sort of resemble some BMW wheels.

Keep us posted on how those perform through the winter.

16. TwiceStung

Added this in the Snowshoes thread but will add here as well regarding Nokian WRG4 tires........

I can officially now report on the Nokian WRG4 tires on a 2.0 RWD. After our 13-14” of snow compacted down to about 4-6” of glacial ice and snow here in western NC, I backed the Stinger out of the garage for its first taste of snow. I felt it sink through the permafrost and wondered. However, it went right up the driveway hill (about a 15-20 deg grade) with zero issues. Very impressed with these tires. I was basically driving on slushy/packed snow and ice a few inches thick. Now I can be more confident in future snows, of which we get maybe 2 or 3 a year, plus these tires run great year round. Heh, who needs AWD?

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. JoeShmo

JoeShmo United States Newish Member

IMG_20181211_081604.jpg
    I don't think it looks too bad. Yeah, those nooks and crannies are going to be fun to clean. Not too much different from the triangle parts of the OEM wheels.

18. MerlintheMad

You can get used to cleaning any wheel. The OEM GT rims kicked my butt the first few times, then I developed a "relationship" with them and that intimacy spawned the efficient application of the towels that I use now: it is very machinelike, how I go around in sets of five, three wash, and three dry passes. I can do all four wheels in eight minutes, maybe less.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Waynerm002

Nice wheels, the black section don’t stand out as much as I would have thought.

20. MerlintheMad

That's what makes them cool and mysterious looking; the design and contrast makes you do a double take to check out the wheels closer.

Draft saved Draft deleted