Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We're so glad you found us. Please click the button below and become a member!
Register Now
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Will Kia Mass-Produce the Stinger?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger in the News' started by Clearly Canadian, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

In the interest of figuring out where Stinger buyers are coming from, I present you with:
    Kia Stinger Conquest Sales - Which luxury brand did you have before the Stinger?

• Like Like x 1
  2. You make a strong case for mass production though I partially disagree about the BMW owners, I think many of them would never consider the Kia brand no matter how good this automobile is.

MarkyMark, where in the states are you located?

3. MarkyMark

MarkyMark United States Member

You are 100% correct about some BMW owners. I've considered one, but don't want to deal with their costly maintenance and in-shop issues (because they have them). But some BMW owners on this site have bought the Stinger, which is cool to see. Not solely suck on brand, which is what Kia needs. Driving 25k miles a year, I burn through warranties, so Kia's 10yr/100k power train is a BIG deal to me. Means I'll get a full 4.2x years out of it! ; )

I am in the state of Oregon, in a suburb of Portland.

4. Hmmm... kia.ca indicates 5 year 100,000 km powertrain warranty. Interesting.

5. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States Active Member

My first car with a true sport suspension was the Audi A4 and it was really nice and comfortable, plus it handled well. I never liked BMWs way of charging you extra for options and walked away from a deal due to this. I had a chance to drive a sport package equipped 525 and it was so great, I ended up going with a 535 M Sport later. For me it all about the drive and comfort while blasting down the road. The crazy maintenance cost is why I left and better fuel economy is why I ended up with a Optima Hybrid instead of the 2.0T. Unlike folks that are badge snobs, I went to the European cars for their driving feel. I chose KIA because their Optima had a ride feel close to a euro car. With the Stinger, I feel folks that like to drive will come over no matter the brand once they understand the value you get with is car that stands its ground next to the competition from Germany.

Let’s be real, it looks better than anything on the road in its price point and a class above. You can have a lot of fun with it on your daily drive and on some corners. It’s not a track car but how many of us are doing that with our cars anyway? Let this thing get out there in large numbers to keep it going for a few generations and iterations, KIA GT K-Sport anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark, I'm the "I hate spending money on cars" guy. My current car, a Pontiac is 20 years old. I need a new car, but with a backseat because I have a toddler. I don't like SUVs, or CUVs. However, I don't want another boring sedan. In steps the Stinger. It's more than I want to pay, but it's sporty with a backseat.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ERS

ERS United States New Member

I may be the Stinger target customer. I have been a "car guy" my whole life and I'm all about styling, engineering and handling. The Stinger checked all those boxes for me. I mentioned in another post that I bought my wife a new BMW 430i Gran Coupe last summer and that it is a great little vehicle. Fit and finish is excellent with a wonderful interior and the adjustable driving modes make it a great handling sport sedan. That said, I enjoy driving my new Stinger Premium 2.0T with Drive Assist PKG more than the Gran Coupe. It has better steering by a long shot and the on-center tracking is far superior. I thought I wanted/needed the GT version of the Stinger until I drove the 2.0T. It is really well balanced and the 160 less pounds over the front axel made it feel very nimble. My experience with Hyundai/KIA started in 2012 when I traded my 3rd Audi A6 for a Genesis 5.0 R-Spec. It proved to be one of the best and reliable long distance drivers that I've owned. I wanted something a little more agile and found what I was looking for in the Stinger. I suggest that folks who are looking at Stingers drive a 2.0T and not blow off the smaller engine. Granted it isn't the barn burner the 3.3T is but it sure is a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MarkyMark

That is interesting, as in the US it is a 10yr/100k power train warranty. But I have been told to keep all my records on oil changes, etc... and make sure I meet every single spec Kia states or it'll be voided really quickly...

9. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States Active Member

With folks modding their vehicles and having issues, dealers don’t want to fix issues that are due to use outside of what the manufacturer recommended. This is true of any brand. When my BMW first started having issues, one dealer service rep was telling me the issues can be caused by things outside of I would do with my car, i.e. modding, using fuel enhancers, or cheap fuel. I use only premium as the car specified but it was a known issue with the engine but BMW had not yet extended the warranty and a lawsuit was pending. Some of Hyundai/KIA 2.4 and 2.0T engine had an issue and before they confirmed it, dealers were not helpful. They are now covering them for 15 years and unlimited mileage, no matter if you are the first or subsequent owners of the vehicle.

I’ll have to spend more time with the 2.0 Premium as that’s the one I had my eyes on but withe the lack of equipment or rather mission features and limited exterior and interior color choices, plus driving the 3.3T, it makes want a GT. Let’s hope next year brings in more on the Premium, that’s the one I would like but with a bit more power.

10. Kia Stinger

In regards to warranty, that's one area the U.S. has an advantage over Canada. The U.S. gets a better warranty...

That is truly impressive and great to hear! I'm waiting to see if anybody says anything like this about the 2018 Buick Regal. I won't be holding my breath...

11. CTBumpkin

CTBumpkin United States Member

I am moving up from a 6 cylinder Accord, which gave up the ghost after 340k miles. Fully depreciated! I am justifying this extravagance by the previous 8 years without a car payment, plus I drive 35,000 miles per year just in my daily commute. With 15 hours/week with my butt in the driver's seat, I deserve some fun and comfort.
    I could have gone with a Civic Type R if all-wheel drive and automatic transmission were options. Instead, I'm going to give myself a real treat! The local dealer says they are very hard to get still.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  12. Kia Stinger

Wow, 340k for your Accord V6! Impressive. No power steering on the Civic Type R? Why?

13. Chris

Chris United States Active Member

MN
    ?!?!? He's smoking something. The civic type r has electric power steering. My little bro has one. I've driven it.

14. Kia Stinger

Well, maybe he was misinformed. Either way, a manual transmission being the only option removes the Type R from his shopping list...

15. CTBumpkin

My mistake. I meant AWD.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MarkyMark

You've bested my 25k miles a year - easy! You sound like a LA commuter that lives out a ways? At least, that's what I could assume? Congrats! And at least if you follow the warranty well, it'll get you to 100k miles 3 years) fully covered!

• Like Like x 2
  17. CTBumpkin

Connecticut. I have a home I love and a job I love, but they are not near each other. At least I'm usually moving, not stuck in traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted