Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Widest Safe Front Tires?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by jwillis1204, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

I thought only my wife used "gription!" :laugh::rofl: where are ya from originally?

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Utah, originally and still. It's a descriptive word that I got from a friend. But he's a Utah original too. I don't know where he got it from.

3. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

He wouldn't happen to be a tradesman who's also Mormon, would he? Because that's the stock my wife comes from! :)

4. MerlintheMad

Ah, Mormon. He is a dry Mormon, that is to say, he was never dunked, aka baptized, even though his older sister was devout and I believe his mother was baptized, but she never affiliated. He did go to church with me a few times when we were kids, but it didn't call to him and nothing came of it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Active Member

This test is bogus. It uses 3300 lb underpowered 320 i and shoves big 255 tires on skinny 7.5 inch stock wheels. No surprise that there wasn't much performance increase. Also suspect of the driver derived performance on track. Empirical g data is always better.

With proper rim size on our much heavier and powerful car wider will be better. We are under wheeled and tired for a large 4000 lb sedan. 245 front and 275 is still pretty narrow for our car so sort of laughable if anyone thinks that setup would be slower. Yes you want wider wheels as that influences tire performance as well. but dang Stinger has narrow wheels and tires. Heck my stock 2800 lb Honda Civic had wider 235 front tires than Stinger. Our car is heavy enough to get most wider tires up to proper operating temps. And yes if you put a wide summer tire on your car it will be more prone to hydroplaning in wet. ...Duh

About the only thing that Japlolicker test shows is how to make a car handle badly. LOL! Yes if you put big rear tires on car and don't get appropriate stagger up front understeer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

Did anybody try 225/45 on front and 255/40 on rear? I.e. +5% on both ends? Have difficulty to find studded winter tires for native size (225/40 on front and 255/35 on rear) here :( Wanted to buy Continental but have only Nokian and Michelin. For bigger size choice is better.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  7. Morky

Morky Active Member

8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Each tire manufacturer will have specifications as to what width rim each size can be used with. I know this thread is about clearance but you must ensure that tire can be run safely. Going wider means the bead may not be seated correctly.

9. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

10. Morky

Morky Active Member

Thanks Rango :)

The Brand here in Australia and i believe they are in the States as well
    are King Wheels Detroit or Korrupt in machined black

King Wheels Australia

mine are -KING W 20 X 10 45 5/120 DETROIT M 2X REAR
    and - KING W 20 X 8.5 40 5/120 DETROIT M 2X FRONT
    I hope it helps! :)

king wheels detroit machined black - Bing images

11. Tobstertx3

Tobstertx3 United States Active Member Texas Stinger Swarm

Attached Files:

12. WildBill

WildBill United States Active Member

Morky, I didn't see your car up on their Facebook page, you should send them some pics. I bet they'd post them.
    You'd be the first Stinger up there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Morky

Morky Active Member

Yes I agree with what you say there eflyguy

anyone can fit tires or rims that may suit and look good too but i think some people need to know more by asking more from the experts and perhaps do their own research, like here and get to know how for sure before making a choice that may be very costly not just for the choice of wheels but potential trouble one day sooner or latter.
    For ME was not to have any issues now or later because of just the looks and fitment
    Insurance, Safety, Manufactures Warranty , The Law of the region, and each car's specifications on Maximum and Minimum Limits
    (Label is on Pilar at the driver's side door ) on the Stingers!
    For me, I went for the Max within the Required Specifications of the Car Maker of the vehicle , the Law, Covered by insurance, and I chose what was safe from the tyre manufacture to the stock standards of my vehicle to the performance and handling as close or better as is stock
    so looks with safety for me. :)

14. MerlintheMad

Could be a moto or slogan. I wonder how you say that in German. For some reason it called to mind "Kraft durch Freude", "Strength through Joy".;)

• Winner Winner x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted