Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Widest Safe Front Tires?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by jwillis1204, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

I thought only my wife used "gription!" :laugh::rofl: where are ya from originally?

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States Stinger Enthusiast

Utah, originally and still. It's a descriptive word that I got from a friend. But he's a Utah original too. I don't know where he got it from.

3. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

He wouldn't happen to be a tradesman who's also Mormon, would he? Because that's the stock my wife comes from! :)

4. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States Stinger Enthusiast

Ah, Mormon. He is a dry Mormon, that is to say, he was never dunked, aka baptized, even though his older sister was devout and I believe his mother was baptized, but she never affiliated. He did go to church with me a few times when we were kids, but it didn't call to him and nothing came of it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Active Member

This test is bogus. It uses 3300 lb underpowered 320 i and shoves big 255 tires on skinny 7.5 inch stock wheels. No surprise that there wasn't much performance increase. Also suspect of the driver derived performance on track. Empirical g data is always better.

With proper rim size on our much heavier and powerful car wider will be better. We are under wheeled and tired for a large 4000 lb sedan. 245 front and 275 is still pretty narrow for our car so sort of laughable if anyone thinks that setup would be slower. Yes you want wider wheels as that influences tire performance as well. but dang Stinger has narrow wheels and tires. Heck my stock 2800 lb Honda Civic had wider 235 front tires than Stinger. Our car is heavy enough to get most wider tires up to proper operating temps. And yes if you put a wide summer tire on your car it will be more prone to hydroplaning in wet. ...Duh

About the only thing that Japlolicker test shows is how to make a car handle badly. LOL! Yes if you put big rear tires on car and don't get appropriate stagger up front understeer.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted