Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Why opening the tailgate from inside is missing on some models?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by sid, Jul 18, 2018.

1. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

Same here, had a screaming 3 year old and 1 year old in the back seats, a cranky wife, and a trunk containing snacks that wouldn't open. Surprised I survived long enough to get out and open it for her.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Paul32

Paul32 United States Stinger Enthusiast

OK, something is wrong here. Just went out to the car, no key in my pocket or in the car, doors unlocked. Trunk opened fine. Second test: Put a key in the center tray, doors unlocked, got out of the car without the key and trunk opened fine. I think if your doors are unlocked, the trunk is unlocked and will open. If the doors are locked, you need the key.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Paul32

Third test: Started the car, doors unlocked, left the key in the center tray with the car running, got out open the trunk with no issue. Conclusion: Your doors were locked or the wife can't find the hatch switch. Or, maybe there's something wrong with your Stinger.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. eflyguy

eflyguy United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

My GF's 'merc has a great feature (but only if you're the one with the remote on you), just wave your foot under the license plate and the trunk pops open... :)

5. Paul32

Most Korean cars will do the same thing without the foot, just stand there for 3 seconds.

6. BlaydeX15

Possibly the second, lol. Not sure if the 4 doors were unlocked. Could also be linked to child locks somehow? Not sure. I'm also pretty sure that the hatch won't open if you single press the unlock on the key (Which only unlocks the driver's door, right?), or unlock with the button on the door handle. Will test those myself.

7. Paul32

Can't comment on the "just driver door unlock" feature. All my doors unlock with one click.

8. BlaydeX15

Ooh, is that an option? I need to enable that. I always forget the second press.

9. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Yup in the menus. There’s LOTS in those menus. The most of any car I’ve owned.

10. Christopher

Christopher United States Member

The GT2 opens automatically by standing behind the car for a few seconds. Beeps and opens all the way up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 1000 Posts Club!

Okay, not quite that limiting. With the wife's aid, we conducted a couple of experiments. The scenario I paint: Screaming (grand)children in the back seat. Cranky grandma, equally put out grandpa. Grandma says, "Stop the car. I have treats in the trunk." I stop the car and she gets out while I put it in park and engage the parking brake. She's obviously having difficulties opening the trunk and comes around to her open passenger door. "It won't open." I say yes it will, just lift up on the little rubber area to the right of the rear camera. "I know THAT!" she says, now exasperated with me. Do I have to do everything myself? I ask. On a whim, I try unlocking all the doors. Voila! the trunk now opens to her touch.

We tried it again, after I stopped and restarted the engine, put it in "D" (all door locks snapped shut), then back into "P". I left the key in the car and went to the back and lifted. The trunk would not open. But when my wife hit the open button, all the door locks clicked open and, it worked on the trunk. No subsequent hitting of the lock button would make the trunk unopenable. So, the unlock button works as a trunk release, in the sense that you can actually open the trunk now, whereas before it was locked.

12. Paul32

I think what you are saying is: The doors were locked as was the trunk/hatch. When you stop the car and put it in park, do you have all doors unlock or just drivers?

13. MerlintheMad

Neither. In park the doors stay locked. My wife gets out and only hers is open. I have it set to lock when put into gear. But it doesn't unlock when I take it out of gear.

14. Joseph Spiegel

I believe that is a setting. When I park P the doors open, drive D they lock.

15. MerlintheMad

Yeah. I have doors unlock when car is turned off. Call me a paranoid. I envision being in downtown Chicago and parking, and having some hoodlums yank my doors open. Hah! Fat chance, I haven't turned my car OFF yet, suckers!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Joseph Spiegel

Downtown Chicago is very cool. Spent some good time there at the turn of the century.

17. MerlintheMad

There you go. Since the turn of the century it has gone south.

I was in downtown Chicago once, back in '77. Crossed a bridge. Suddenly nobody but "scary" looking black people, eeevrywhere. We did see one white cop, beside a black cop in their patrol car. That was it. After two right turns and a left, we recrossed the bridge and were back in "whitey" territory again. Very weird. Segregation was/is alive and well in the US. I've gotten over my trepidation because I've met a lot of black Americans over the years. Where I grew up, there were, maybe, two black people in my entire life; one was the most popular kid in high school. That was it.

I keep repenting of dragging topics off topic. And I keep sinning. *sigh*

18. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Dont bother me to much but complety understand it.

19. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Member

Not sure if you still have the rattle, but if you do, check to see that your spare tire is tightened down. I had a rattle and that was the problem.

20. junesrig

junesrig United States Member Sustaining Member

Yes, still have rattle will check the spare and see if it solves the issue. Thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted