Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Which Catch Can Setup is best?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by DT88, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Dodger Blue

Dodger Blue United States Active Member

Yes, let me clarify, I'm not worried about the catch can being an "illegal mod." Even if it were, it's worth it to keep my engine healthy and honestly I'm surprised they're not OEM equipment on all direct injection engines. I am simply saying I'm not planning on installing downpipes or removing cats. Intakes are easy to work on and honestly cops don't give a shit about those here. Some intakes are even CARB legal, I had an AEM SRI on my SC300 that came with a little placard so the smog guy wouldn't reject it. I also can't have a super loud exhaust because I work extensively in quiet neighborhoods and don't want to upset folks. Something that sounds throatier would be great, but as sexy as triple digit decibels, pops crackles and blow-off whooshes are, they're not ideal for what I'm doing.

One day I'll have enough money for a track car and I'll make it sound as ridiculously noisy as I can, in the mean time I'm keeping this car in the spirit of a proper GT, lol

2. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

Maybe a dual can setup is worth it but the ADDw1 v3.3 is definitely NOT worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Vaio23

Vaio23 United States Member

Why do you say that, did you have issues with yours.

4. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

Performance was not up to par. If you search the forums you’ll see similar results. Now this is only for the v3.3 version. My Mishimoto caught as much in a week as the ADDw1 v3.3 caught in months. I have no opinion of their dual can setup since I didn’t have it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daniel @ K8 Stinger Store

Daniel @ K8 Stinger Store United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

6. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

I can only speak from my experience with the ADD w1 v3.3. A catch can isn’t something you should continue to fumble around with once it’s installed. Follow the directions, set it, forget it, and drain every oil change.

The cheap check valve bearings broke on my dual inlet v3.3 and the can didn’t even catch them, which left me with a nasty vacuum leak and a check engine light that I spent a day tracking down. I’m lucky since the bearings could’ve caused catastrophic engine failure. Despite this I continued to use the can through 2 oil changes with barely a drop of oil in the can.

I’ve used the Mishimoto can on previous vehicles, in non-boosted applications, and found it to be very effective. My results are that the Mishimoto is far more effective than the ADD w1 dual inlet v3.3 at catching blow by.

I understand that not everyone is able, or willing, to buy another catch can, but when faced with a decision to buy the $260 ADD w1 v3.3 can or the $190 Mishimoto can, I’d strongly suggest saving the $70 and going with the much more effective Mishimoto can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Luminary

Luminary United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member +

I can only speak for the SXTH Element Dual Catch Cans. I choose the dual for my Stinger as I am someone that cleans the engine bay every time I wash my babe (just about every weekend) and I love to show it off any chance I get. The SXTH Element Dual cans are well made, damn good looking, and the "GT" bracket added a very nice touch. I did shave down the right side of the GT bracket due to my K&N intakes.

Performance, the PCV side has been very effective, while the other has not caught anything really (as expected).

I did add some Braided Sleeving to the hoses to dress it up a bit more.

20191130_120950.jpg

On my first emtying (PCV side) after about 1 month of daily commuting:

20190908_124647.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  8. Toddasaurus

Toddasaurus United States Active Member

SXTHElement as well. This is what I got after only 1400 miles.

IMG_20191128_204726.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. peterpan223

peterpan223 United States Newish Member

If you are catching this much oil every 1000 miles or so, should you be checking the oil dip stick and topping it off each time you empty the can?

10. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

That’s not much oil and certainly not enough to alter the oil level. Also mixed in there is also water vapor, fuel, and condensation, which gives it that chocolate milk type look. I’m not sure how often you have the oil changed, but that’s pretty much the normal time to empty the can.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ecko04

ecko04 Active Member

0357F0CA-D963-46AA-A1D6-45E6F96549B3.jpeg

Mishimoto after about ~1300 miles

• Like Like x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted