Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

'Summer' or 'all-season' tire recommendations?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels, Tires Discussion' started by nhsjpeterson, Aug 15, 2018.

1. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

hmmmmm , that why I stopped buying them and selling the OEMs , I went with Conti's on my last 2 BMWs and they were great BUT wore out quickly , so far the G Force Comp2s are performing well ...................good luck

2. capnsharpe

capnsharpe United States Member Sustaining Member

As promised, pictures of the blisters on my now gone Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire. They've been replaced with Conti DWS06 all seasons. For whatever reason, the Contis fit the wheels better. The Michelins always looked stretched.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Those are downright scary looking. Thanks for sharing your trauma! ;)

The tread on those Michelins looks very different from the Michelin summer tires that came on my 19s. Looks like an entirely different kind of tire.

Attached Files:

4. capnsharpe

Wow. Okay. Well I guess next time I'll take 360 degree pictures after removing all 4 wheels from the car next time. This used to be such an awesome forum.

5. MerlintheMad

Heheh! I wasn't poking you, I was making a sincere observation that your sipes look wider and further apart than mine. And so it appears that OEM Michelins are not just Pilot Super Sport, one type of tire, but two different types at least; so your pictures are a revelation to me. (And my tires are off, not my wheels; and they are bagged, ready for the storage shed shelves.)

6. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

You had PS 4S or did you mean PS 4's? I think every manufacturer has some issues like this. It sucks when you end up with one of those crappy set of tires.

7. capnsharpe

PS 4S

8. Waynerm002

Wow, those are the newer version, the ones that one ups the Pilot Super Sport. Would expect better from those.

9. MerlintheMad

What upsets me is that this tire, and the OEM Pilot Super Sport, are "Y" rated to go over 186 MPH. How is that even possible if they blister like this? This is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

10. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Canada Stinger Enthusiast

It seems as though some of the early builds came with the 4 S's, probably because the 4's were not available yet. The PS 4 is the spec tire for the car.

My understanding is that the 4 S is a softer (sportier) tire than the 4, which is still summer high performance, but likely a bit more durable and somewhat better in colder weather.

11. Waynerm002

I just saw a video of a guy in NY that was driving his GT350 in NY in temps below freezing, dry roads, no snow.

12. MerlintheMad

The roads won't be freezing yet. It takes days of freezing 24/7 before the roads stay at freezing or below. Yes, the tires are freezing, until you drive on them. Frozen tires on a road that has a surface temperature of say 40F are going to warm up to 40F+. So I don't know what his test shows. Summer tires are not going to split or crack when they are new or mostly new. So the only issue is grip. A tire that isn't frozen isn't going to have poor grip. After the tires warm up they should be fine. Do this again on roads that are frozen solid, inches down, then get back to us.

13. Waynerm002

Yeah, not gonna do that. I had my experience with waiting to December to do the swap to winters and we had a cold day with rain and it was dicey. Not fun. I was younger and taking more risks then. Not so much these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted