• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Stinger drivers... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Stinger GT to Camaro SS

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the comparison. I am considering selling my 1998 SS 1LE Camaro for a new 2023 LT1 Camaro this year. My 2019 Stinger GTS is here to stay though because it does so many things well. Storage, HK Stereo, Sunroof, Seats 5, Orange Exterior Color, Low end torque, etc.
Having both cars would be amazing. I’d definitely recommend

RM7

Stinger Enthusiast
North
I need to drive a 1LE now haha. I’ve heard nothing but great things about the Alpha chassis. I plan to do a strut tower brace at some point and I am considering putting the car on some BMR springs, but I haven’t been able to decide if I want to deal with the downsides of a lowered car again or not. I probably won’t do much more than that, handling wise, because it already handles so well, even as a non-1LE car. I don’t do any track driving, so it’s good enough for me. Thanks for the insight! It’s nice to hear from another owner of both cars
You can get ~80% of the way there with the 10/11” wide wheels with similar rubber. The 1LE is slightly lower than the SS. It’s essentially a ZL-1 minus the supercharger, but still, the wheels and tires would get you most of the way there.

Nasscar

2500 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
As some of you know, I sold the stinger last month and replaced it with a manual 2018 Camaro 2SS. Just thought I'd show some pics and give my thoughts on how the cars compare after owning the Camaro for a few weeks.

A few details on the Camaro: Bought used with 13,000 miles on it. 455 hp, 455 tq. It's a 2SS so it has all the bells and whistles. Even more than my GT had. It came with a Borla ATAK valved (NPP) catback exhaust ($3000 value) and the windows were already tinted. Otherwise, it was stock. I have done an oil catch can, dash cam, 20mm wheel spacers, black ZL1 rear spoiler, and Black ZL1 front splitter so far.

I owned the stinger for 3 years and I stand by the statement that I think it's the best all-around car you can buy for under $60,000. I had some issues during ownership, but I loved the car. After 3 years, my wants and needs changed, so I got the SS. Some comparisons:

Power/acceleration: The SS is faster, no question. But the stinger felt faster off the line. Which makes sense because the stinger was automatic and AWD, and the Camaro is manual and RWD. The difference is, the Camaro has less torque at lower RPMs, but pulls hard all the way to redline. The stinger feels strong at low and mid, but dies off at higher RPM. Again, makes sense, Naturally aspirated vs turbo

Comfort: about the same: the camaro is smoother actually, but my stinger was lowered on H&R springs.

Sound: Camaro wins and its not even close. That 6.2L V8 is something else, especially with the Borla ATAK

Handling and fun factor: I feel like the Camaro handles better than the stinger. I am running summer tires on the Camaro, and always ran DWS06 all seasons on the stinger, sop that may be a factor. But the Camaro has less body roll with stock suspension than the stinger did with aftermarket sway bars and springs. I can only imagine how the 1LE (track pack) handles. The Stinger is a very fun car to drive, but the Camaro having a manual trans and that wonderful sound makes it more fun and engaging to drive.

Practicality: Stinger all day. cargo room. Back seats. AWD. ease of driving since its an auto. But, I have another car for all of that.

TL,DR. Overall, they're both fantastic and very different cars, and I wish I could own both. Here are some pictures. Last one is most recent.
View attachment 70243 View attachment 70245 View attachment 70244 View attachment 70246
Not a bad replacement....;)

stoopid

1000 Posts Club!
Las Vegas, NV
I've often said that I would probably still be driving my 2014 V6 Camaro if not for the fact the GF absolutely hated it [looks, ride comfort, poor visibility, etc]. Got it for a good price (personally knew the dealership at the time) and it was quicker than anything I had owned up to that point. Since then I've traded laterally to a Regal 2.0T, then a last gen LaCrosse V6, and after 3 years with the LaCrosse traded into the Stinger which was on my radar from the moment it hit the market in 2018.

Things I liked about the Camaro... the price. At the time, getting a relatively quick car that got ~30MPG on the highway and a hint of performance wasn't particularly common, and this was just as the new Mustang model was coming out (although less true today, the mopar options were too unreliable). The ride even on a base V6 was pretty harsh, would be less of an issue now living in the desert. Back East, roads were uneven and pot holed. Visibility was fairly poor, and the coffin seating position didn't help matters. Interior quality, though on the lower end, was durable and well laid out. Lack of a back seat didn't matter much, and the trunk was big enough for my needs.

Upgrading eventually to the Stinger was the right choice for me, and not having the Chevy dealership around anymore to get any sort of deal pretty much made the Stinger the defacto $40-ish option. Had I still an option to shop Camaro or Vettes (used) for a good price, things may have gone different this upgrade cycle. In hindsight, I made out really well with the Stinger and by all measures this is as good as any stock V8 Camaro I would have gotten, and more importantly got the blessing of the GF.

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
Sounds great. The Camaro / Mustang track packs sound like amazing value cars - would love to own even a V6 version as a pure track car. In the meantime, as a family man, the Stinger gets my nod with a few mods to have some fun on the track..

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

RM7

Stinger Enthusiast
North
Sounds great. The Camaro / Mustang track packs sound like amazing value cars - would love to own even a V6 version as a pure track car. In the meantime, as a family man, the Stinger gets my nod with a few mods to have some fun on the track..
They do make V6 Camaro 1LE version, which would probably an absolute weapon for AutoX. Randy Probst can't say enough good thigns about the chassis, he bought a 4cyl turbo 1LE. AFAIK the don't make this version anymore, but for ultimate balance and AutoX, that would be even crazier, probably 3200lbs or less. The differences with these is that they are not just lower-engine spec models, they are track-spec models with the smaller engines, so intended to be thrashed and raced, which isn't always the case with the lower versions of a car. I'd love to drive one of these two versions in AutoX, which is a super-fun racing format where you can have fun with a car with low consequences. I plan to bring the Stinger out sometime when it's just pouring rain at AutoX, I kind of set it up for that in case I've paid for a racing day and the weather is just crap.

Transmetal

Stinger Enthusiast
I always wondered who buys V6 muscle cars. I couldn't do it personally but I understand that you have to get what you can afford. I own a base awd gt for that fact alone cuz I wasn't interested in the 4 cylinder turbo model. But the draw to me for a muscle/pony car is the V8 sound. The Stinger is faster than a regular RT Charger but you just can't compare the sound. Lucky for me, the Lightning gives me all the sound and whine that I can handle, which is a nice change to the mild mannered turbo boost in the Stinger. If I had to choose a Camaro I'd go with a 2015 ZL1 just cuz I absolutely hate how the front end looks after that year.

Mike810

V6 muscle cars do have a place. As a young guy my first new car was a 1995 Camaro z28. Fast back then with the LT1 corvette engine. The speed and sound was exciting at first but after a few months I got sick of the 5.7 liter gas mileage and traded in for a v6 Camaro. Honestly that was probably the favorite car I have owned. It looked great, was fun to cruise around in and got pretty good gas mileage. The Stinger probably gets just as bad of gas mileage as my v8 Camaro from years ago. I find myself driving in eco mode more and more with the price of gas.

Perhaps my next vehicle will be an electric car. If I drive hard I would say I spend around $ 650 a month on gas now. Just for work commute. My modified Stinger is fun but I think modifying it just takes more gas. Lol

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
Perhaps my next vehicle will be an electric car. If I drive hard I would say I spend around $ 650 a month on gas now. Just for work commute. My modified Stinger is fun but I think modifying it just takes more gas. Lol
That’s definitely not a small amount of money. I’m not a big fan of electric cars, but in that situation, I’d probably have one. When I added exhaust and intakes to my Stinger, the mileage decreased. Not sure if it was because of the parts themselves, or because I liked the way it sounded when I accelerated. Probably that one.

Maljey

Pittsburgh, PA
I always wondered who buys V6 muscle cars. I couldn't do it personally but I understand that you have to get what you can afford. I own a base awd gt for that fact alone cuz I wasn't interested in the 4 cylinder turbo model. But the draw to me for a muscle/pony car is the V8 sound. The Stinger is faster than a regular RT Charger but you just can't compare the sound. Lucky for me, the Lightning gives me all the sound and whine that I can handle, which is a nice change to the mild mannered turbo boost in the Stinger. If I had to choose a Camaro I'd go with a 2015 ZL1 just cuz I absolutely hate how the front end looks after that year.
The vast majority of pony cars being sold are non-V8 versions. That's why the big 3 can afford to keep the V8 cars in production. They have been making non-V8 pony cars since literally the beginning. Like 60+ years? So the non-V8 cars are just as much part of the pony car heritage as the V8s.

The non-V8 cars also fill a specific niche here in the US--affordable (sub 30K), RWD coupes. There's a very short list of new, affordable RWD cars. You only have the Miata, BRZ, 370Z, and the pony cars. The pony cars offer some added utility over those others, being larger. IMHO they are better suited for daily drivers, while still being capable in autocross or the track with some light modifications. Just pretend they don't say 'Mustang' or 'Camaro' on the car and look at them for what they are.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
Just pretend they don't say 'Mustang' or 'Camaro' on the car and look at them for what they are.
That’s a good point. The ecoboost mustang is pretty damn good. Especially with the high performance package. 330 horsepower and lighter than the GT. Same with the Camaro V6. Pretty good power, and lighter, and if it’s the 1LE, that’s quite a car. As long as the owners don’t pretend to have something they don’t. I passed a V6 challenger a few weeks ago, covered in hellcat badges and graphics. I wanted to throw up.

With all that being said, I’d still take my V8 given the choice. The power and sound just do it for me.

Transmetal

Stinger Enthusiast
V6 muscle cars do have a place. As a young guy my first new car was a 1995 Camaro z28. Fast back then with the LT1 corvette engine. The speed and sound was exciting at first but after a few months I got sick of the 5.7 liter gas mileage and traded in for a v6 Camaro. Honestly that was probably the favorite car I have owned. It looked great, was fun to cruise around in and got pretty good gas mileage. The Stinger probably gets just as bad of gas mileage as my v8 Camaro from years ago. I find myself driving in eco mode more and more with the price of gas.

Damn, $650 a month for gas........ nope, couldn't do it. I live probably 10 minutes away from work so gas mileage definitely isn't a factor for me. Although, I'm noticing it a bit more now when I used to fill up the Stinger it was like 30 bucks and that last me 2 weeks. Now it costs about 45 bucks or so.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mike810

Damn, $650 a month for gas........ nope, couldn't do it. I live probably 10 minutes away from work so gas mileage definitely isn't a factor for me. Although, I'm noticing it a bit more now when a fill up on the Stinger was like 30 bucks and that last me 2 weeks. Now it costs about 45 bucks or so.
Yeah it is a lot of money. My commute is 60 miles mostly highway each way five days a week. My gas is roughly my car payment. Lol. I envy people with a short commute. You are lucky. Thankfully the Stinger does have eco mode. I guess maybe it is best I didn’t get a Camaro SS or Mustang GT because I wouldn’t have eco mode. I don’t believe they have that.

I have always found electric cars to be boring. I know Telslas are fast but the looks are uninspiring. Just not sporty looking.

Last edited:

StingerbyAdoom

Stinger Enthusiast
Another previous Alpha chassis owner here, I had it on my CTS-Vsport with magride, and my god what a machine that was in the corners. The real kicker here though, if you really want the alpha chassis to shine, The ATS-V is the sweet spot. Yes, you lose a screaming V8, but you get the best tuned version of the Alpha Chassis that GM has to offer, a car with an actually nice interior, a very, very capable LT4 (GM's TTV6 That has already been seen hitting 9 second 1/4 miles with bolt-ons and a decent tune) and decent rear visibility to boot.

Transmetal

Stinger Enthusiast
Another previous Alpha chassis owner here, I had it on my CTS-Vsport with magride, and my god what a machine that was in the corners. The real kicker here though, if you really want the alpha chassis to shine, The ATS-V is the sweet spot. Yes, you lose a screaming V8, but you get the best tuned version of the Alpha Chassis that GM has to offer, a car with an actually nice interior, a very, very capable LT4 (GM's TTV6 That has already been seen hitting 9 second 1/4 miles with bolt-ons and a decent tune) and decent rear visibility to boot.
Always wanted the CTS-V coupe and ATS-V. Downside is having that as a daily driver in the winter here though. Only rwd doesn't inspire confidence. As a summer car though, amazing!

StingerbyAdoom

Stinger Enthusiast
Always wanted the CTS-V coupe and ATS-V. Downside is having that as a daily driver in the winter here though. Only rwd doesn't inspire confidence. As a summer car though, amazing!
I Agree, Driving my V sport in the winter was not fun at all lol, not having AWD was one of the reasons I started looking at the stinger in the first place. It was a hell of a lot of fun in the other 3 seasons though.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
I guess maybe it is best I didn’t get a Camaro SS or Mustang GT because I wouldn’t have eco mode. I don’t believe they have that.
The automatic Camaro SS has cylinder deactivation, so it basically turns into a 4cyl on the highway and gets well over 30mpg. The major doesn’t have that, so I average 19.5mpg. My stinger averaged 21, so I can’t complain.

Maljey

Pittsburgh, PA
That’s a good point. The ecoboost mustang is pretty damn good. Especially with the high performance package. 330 horsepower and lighter than the GT. Same with the Camaro V6. Pretty good power, and lighter, and if it’s the 1LE, that’s quite a car. As long as the owners don’t pretend to have something they don’t. I passed a V6 challenger a few weeks ago, covered in hellcat badges and graphics. I wanted to throw up.

With all that being said, I’d still take my V8 given the choice. The power and sound just do it for me.

When I had my V6, that was pretty much my criteria--a new, affordable (sub 30K), RWD performance car. It was going to be my daily driver, and buying used performance cars for daily duty is against my religion lol. The Miata and BRZ were way too small, and the V8 cars were way too expensive.

The V6 Camaro can compete with cars that cost 7K+ more like the Civic Type R, WRX STi, etc. It's a very good bargain as a RWD performance car.
When Chevy was still making the V6 1LE, they basically took a base V6 and added stickier tires, suspension from the Camaro SS, extra cooling and upgraded brakes. You can really do all that easily with a base V6 now even though the 1LE package is officially discontinued. The stickier tires are an easy upgrade. In fact some V6 1LE review said the tires were actually overkill for the car's power. The brakes and suspension are relatively easy upgrades as well. The extra cooling I dunno if you even need, unless you are heavily tracking the car. Frankly almost any car in the price range needs extra cooling if you are heavily tracking it.

When I had my V6 I f*cking loved that it took 87 gas too. Not many performance cars can take 87 anymore.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
The CT4-V Blackwing might take the crown for the Alpha now

StingerbyAdoom

Stinger Enthusiast
The CT4-V Blackwing might take the crown for the Alpha now
That's riding on the Alpha2 chassis! Technically the same, but enough differences for it to be classified as a 2nd generation, so the ATSV still technically takes the cake.

I've driven every iteration of the V cars except the Alpha2 cars (CT4/5-V & CT4/5-V-Blackwing) and they all felt amazing to drive in their own way, so I will be honestly amazed if GM really improved on the Alpha Chassis that much more.