Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

So I am dropping my Stinger off for Repaint...

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Exterior Discussion' started by Luminary, Jun 21, 2018.

1. gilthanis1

gilthanis1 United States Active Member

855-454-2847 -- Have your VIN handy, just in case.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

Agreed...NOT covering the headlight issue is a huge red flag for me. This may require escalation as others have suggested.

I would consider Kia paying to PPF the entire car assuming no issues on said paint before PPF applied. That may be a better option since PPF is typically good for 7 to 10 years. I think i would prefer this over a piecemeal respray. Just food for thought

3. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

Thanks everyone. Needless to say I am not happy with the work that was completed, and while I do have a case # the dealership was able to get for me, I am going to be calling KMA (Kia Motors America) and see what happens next.

I love KIA, have for more then 13 years now. My Stinger is my 7th KIA. Lets see what (if anything) KMA (Kia Motors America) says.
    Will keep you all updated.

Just for giggles, listing out all of my KIA's:
    2005 Sadona (used - this is the car that got me hooked on KIA)
    2012 Forte (new, from same dealership)
    2014 Optima Turbo SX (new, from other dealership)
    2009 Rio (used, from same dealership)
    2013 Rio (used, from same dealership)
    2015 Rio (used, from same dealership - still have)
    2018 Stinger (new, from same dealership - current)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. A Member Who Left

A Member Who Left United States Active Member

When you talk to them, tell them about this forum and the others who are watching and supporting each other until this gets fixed properly. Unfortunately, loyalty to any auto company doesn't count for much these days. Best of luck and keep us informed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. KiaofMuncie

KiaofMuncie United States Kia Dealership Stinger Dealer

6. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Any update to share?

7. KiaofMuncie

KiaofMuncie United States Kia Dealership Stinger Dealer

8. Tobstertx3

Tobstertx3 United States Active Member Texas Stinger Swarm

Wow, just caught up on the recent updates. So sorry to hear all the sh*t you’re going through @Luminary. I’m just speechless that after all you’ve been through, the respray would have issues.

9. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

Yes, you have a captive audience, @Luminary (tap, tap, tap) ...

10. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

I’m catching up here, too. So sad to see all the problems Luminary is having. You’d think they’d (Kia) would want to do overkill on fixing the problem. Save no money on the fix, get it right the second time, the first was a big fail. Sigh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Luminary

Morning all, I apologize for the lack of updates. I have been on the forums but have been so busy it is crazy. I spoke with the VIP KMA (Kia Motors America) line, and "Billy" was great at listening to me and understanding what was going on with my car. Ourisman Chantilly KIA called shortly afterwards but I missed the call. I was then contacted by "Colby" at the VIP KMA (Kia Motors America) line both by email and phone. He too was very nice and listened to all that is going on with my Stinger.

Basically what happened was I dropped her off for the repaint. While there the rep (owner?) of the body shop came to the dealership to speak with me, and to pick the car up to take back to his shop. I was VERY specific about how the repaint would be done. I asked at least 3 times and was assured that the body panels would be removed from the car, taken to bare metal and then repainted. As suggested by @KiaofMuncie I requested photos during repaint. I did not get the pictures until after I took the car home. Well, the pictures show the repaint being done ON the car. Worst of all, the car came back to me with painters tape stuck between the body panels (passenger quarter panel and bumper). I did not catch the tape until after I returned home. The pictures I was emailed are below and only inclded a few during the repaint. They were emailed to me as an .xps, so what you see is a screenshot of that.

Yup, as you can imagine I was pretty upset by this. I asked Ourisman and was told that the body shop never takes body panels off from cars for repaint. I was NOT told this at drop off, and was told the complete opposite. I felt lied to and deceived. I would NEVER have gone forward with the repaint if I had known, I would have found a different body shop to take my beloved babe to. But I have always trusted Ourisman, and they have always been good to me. To be honest though I do not blame Ourisman, it is the body shop that told me they would remove the body panels for the repaint, not Ourisman. Why?? Why do they tell the customer one thing, and then not follow through? I do not get it.

I am still waiting to hear back from Ourisman. KMA (Kia Motors America) did not say much other then they will contact the dealer. When I did speak with KMA (Kia Motors America) both times, I did let them know how great Ourisman has been to me over the years and through 7 KIA vehicles.

I just did a good hand wash and wax yesterday and noticed new areas with paint issues. And yup, the tape is still there and I cannot seem to get it out. Ugg.

repaint.png

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Ugh indeed...

14. AV8R

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RLam

RLam United States Member

Wow, sorry to hear you are having these problems. I know I would feel as if my car was tainted after that.

One thing I’ve learned about dealerships is that they will wine and dine you when you are there, but once you are gone, your car is just a work order in a line of other work orders. No one loves your car as much as you. There are rare exceptions...

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. AV8R

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. StingerGT68

StingerGT68 Stinger Enthusiast

Doesn't even look like they put the car in a proper paint chamber/booth.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Active Member

I would like to advise, in my opinion, everybody whos being offered a "Buyback" option should take it. The repaint option is simply a band-aid for a major QC problem. I don't care how good a body shop is, or how nice people are, unless they strip it down to bare frame (remove engine, suspension, etc..,) it will NEVER be as good as a factory line paint job.

The problems shown here will occur again and again. This paint problem is going to tank every used Stinger market value, and quite honestly, Kia should compensate every Stinger owner of every color, problems or not, which used this process.

I have a Grey and can see CORROSION blistering through the paint in the engine bay......

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. AV8R

20. Luminary

I sent an email to Colby at the VIP KMA (Kia Motors America) line basically saying:
    I wanted to point him to this forum and specifically my topic (this one) and the main Paint Chip Issue topic.
    Waiting to hear back.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: