Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Service Department - Technicians - Attention to Detail

Discussion in 'Open Letters to Kia Motors' started by Callum, Feb 26, 2019.

Do you trust your local dealer?

1. No

31 vote(s)
    64.6%
  2. Yes

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Callum

Callum Mexico Stinger Enthusiast

So, the surveys are a really shitty part about Kia's rating system. If the advisor does not get a 100%, or 1,000 points it's considered a failure and goes against the dealership.

If you rate them a 9 out of 10, it's a strike against them. I'm not sure who, or why that was created but it's garbage. We got knocked for the free car wash not cleaning cars that hadn't been washed in years....

2. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Active Member

I'm aware of this same rating system, we have it here. I wasn't sure if it was the conglomerate that owns the multitude of dealerships, or Kia themselves. The issue that I have is when I leave a less than perfect score, I rate them fairly and leave comments as to why I rated them this way. Nobody ever gets back to me on that though, which is disappointing.

3. Peeso33

Peeso33 United States Member

What about the sunroof noise?

4. Helo58

Helo58 United States Active Member

Yeah, I have seen drug stores and restaurants all use the same approach. It is unfortunate that anything less than a 100% is a fail when asking subjective questions. It is my sincere hope that people implementing this type of survey try a new approach or abandon surveys altogether. If the dealer's true desire is to get better, then that requires me to rate things that they did good but not great. If anything less than a 10 is a fail, then the survey should have a "zero" and a "ten" on it and nothing else. Until then, if "7" is how I feel, I see no reason to put a "10."

For the record, the Hendrick Kia shop in Concord, NC has made great efforts to take care of me with the only exception being not having the grommet for the wiring harness recall when I had my appointment. No complaints otherwise.

5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

It was 25 degrees when I went. In anticipation of them saying it was because of the cold I didn't even mention it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Kia survey is the same here. The service head has told me flat out, "You might be asked to answer a survey on how your service went today. Remember, anything less than a hundred percent satisfaction is a 'fail' to us." He doesn't beg or act in any way as if I am going to give him/them a hundred percent just because he tells me how their survey works.

What is happening here is Kia holding everyone to a perfect goal. It doesn't mean that they are guilty of black and white thinking. It's obvious that a scale of zero to ten means they look at trends; but they want that perfect 10 score.

7. friss

friss United States Member

Yeah that guy has always been a bit spacey in my opinion as well when working with him. He gave me the same blurb when I went but, funnily enough I have yet to actually get a survey email from Kia to fill out. He also told me there wasn't a TSB out about the tailgate thudding but not like Kia has been really able to solve that one according to this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Peeso33

Peeso33 United States Member

I Hope it gets resolved with a reasonable solution... either that, or wait after the mid-cycle refresh, when the R spec GT will hopefully be available?

• Like Like x 1
  9. morphrider

morphrider United States Newish Member

Ya know, we brought ours in today (still waiting) for the recalls as well. After seeing your post I called yesterday to verify they had the parts on hand and they confirmed they did. We get a call back 10 minutes after dropping it off today stating they needed the VIN to order the vehicle specific item they didn't have on hand, asking me if I want to wait until end of the week or overnight it. Poor girl got an earful from me, my biggest question I had she couldn't answer was that when I scheduled this 2 weeks ago why did they not ask for the vin then to confirm they would have the correct part on hand making today easy. Not to mentioned the jackwad I talked to yesterday. I told them to overnight it on their dime for sure, let's see if I get a discount on the oil change, which I will be asking for.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Grewzuff

Grewzuff United States Member

Crazy right. It boggels my mind. They ended up overnighting the part and I got it fixed the next day. They offered a loaner car for my troubles. I told them I wanted a Telluride, got a Sorento :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. morphrider

We have had ours in the shop for over a week getting hail dents repaired. Wife had a rental since then, that was out of the question, lol. She wanted her baby. It goes back in Tuesday, oil change was discounted.

12. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Lol, c'mon now. Let's be reasonable. You knew that wasn't going to happen!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Grewzuff

Grewzuff United States Member

Worth a try :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. morphrider

Brought it back in for the 2nd recall item, the ECU. I had it in my garage today and figured I would double check oil level. It is a fuzz over F level so I will keep an eye on it. They left a sheet of paper in the engine bay on the drivers side. Not a fan of this dealership and will be bringing it to the local one that had serviced our Sportage for the past several years. Never an issue over there.

15. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Regarding the KIA survey...I agree that the anything less than a 10 thing is absolute bullshit. So here is what happened to me because KIA does this.

My sales guy texted me a few days after I took delivery of the car and said I'd be receiving a survey, he said if I liked the dealership experience to give them all 10's and if I didnt to not fill out the survey. It really pissed me off and I almost wrote him back a nasty message, I decided not to because I figured it wouldnt do me any good and i want to service my car there. I didnt bother filling out the survey because the whole thing just rubbed me the wrong way. It wasnt until I saw this thread that I understand why he asked that. He still explained it in a foolish way but it really makes a great example of how idiotic the way those survey's are conducted. Shame on KIA for doing that and putting that kind of pressure on the dealers and customers, because I damn well that sales people must be passing that info onto the customer in a lot of cases. Im the type of person that doesnt just hand out 10's on everything unless the whole experience is exceptional. It doesnt mean I wasnt pleased with my experience because I didnt give a perfect report card.

16. Steve2.0

Steve2.0 United States New Member

I know this thread isn't about the Kia surveys but...
    I too got the request from the sales guy to give a perfect score, then to rub salt in handed me a photocopy of the questions with the answers he wanted all circled, you know because I might get confused!!!
    The best bit though was when I started the survey, first words from Kia specifically stated I should only select the top rating if I truly mean it and the dealership really excelled, then gave some spiel about lower scores actually help the dealership improve.
    Anyway I didn't give a perfect score and use my full 1500 words to tell them why ;-) Then came the questions about other dealerships I'd visited which resulted in a dead end where the only options were to give negative feedback for the other dealerships, needless to say another diatribe in the comment box followed that one. Chose to exit out and submit at the next available chance before my blood-pressure exceeded safe limits.
    Would love to have dealership call me up about my comments or better yet Kia, doubt either will happen.
    OK rant over, only 600 miles on the clock so far, shouldn't be seeing the service department for a few more weeks - I hope....

Steve

• Like Like x 2
  17. MerlintheMad

I think it must be a product of "Asian" cultural thinking. From here, they seem to me to be excessively concerned about public image and what others are thinking/saying about them. So striving for perfect scores is in their cultural DNA so to speak. There are plenty of people over here working for them who will be tainted by that and go along with the corporate pressure.

I intend to give straight up honest appraisal as I always have.

Btw, the "boss" at the dealership where I go called me after the first few services to solicit my personal appraisal. But he hasn't continued to do that after those first few times.

18. Helo58

Helo58 United States Active Member

To add... From my experiences in Korea, the corporate culture favors only questions that have binary answers. As in, "success or failure." The company we worked with didn't give a lot of second chances for failure with its engineers. Task failure usually meant reassignment with a lower level of responsibility.

• Like Like x 1
  19. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

With ethics like that so ingrained in their culture how did they ever release the Kia Spectra.

20. MerlintheMad

It seems to have been a successful car. What are you saying?

Draft saved Draft deleted