Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Puddle Lights

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Lighting - Inside and Out' started by AnyVare, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Stephen Brubaker

Stephen Brubaker United States Member

Gee, I guess I haven't driven my Stinger enough at night. I didn't know it had under the mirror lights. Did test my puddle lights out. They do only come on when unlocking the car or opening the doors. The mirror lights and door handle lights do come on when walking up to the car.

2. MrSmoofy

MrSmoofy United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member +

Here is what the lighting on my 2019 GT2 looks like. 20190318_212328.jpg 20190318_212347.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  3. pkarandi

pkarandi United States Member

I just brought my new 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD HiChroma Red home last night! Pretty psyched about it as it's a pleasure to drive.

It came with the factory installed puddle lights but I'm yet to see them come on. Is there a setting I need to find to enable them? I just walked up to the car and clicked the unlock button on the fob, and all the other lights (interior, exterior mirror, etc.) came on, but no puddles...

• Like Like x 1
  4. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Pretty sure the puddle lights are a dealer/diy install only... I’ve never seen nor heard of them as a factory installed option.

U sure the dealer actually installed them?

5. pkarandi

Sorry - I shouldn't have stated factory installed. They are on the Monroney sticker, so I assumed factory installed, but that just means they were installed before the dealer received the car right?

To answer your other question about being sure they're there, yes, they are. I can see the 4 LED domes under the car (2 on each side). Unfortunately, I've never seen them on!

6. TheSting

TheSting Germany Member

The Puddle Lights have to lighten up, if

- you press the unlock button via keyless keys
    - the car is already open (closed doors) and in "waiting modus" if you open the door via door handle

The puddle lights shut down, if you close the door or lock the car.
    Thats the way my dealer installed them. And yes, they are non factory installed. A dealer or other tech have to install them seperatly.

The forum wont let me upload small (<1mb) .mp4 videos of my puddle lights in action.
    Which is the right format for videos here? Nor any video allowed?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. pkarandi

Yeah, mine are definitely not doing that. I have checked them a bunch of times by unlocking the car via the key fob and getting on my knees to look at them under the car, and nothing. The lights under the mirror and in the door handle well are both on at this point. Hmmm... I will call my dealer. I hope they don't have to rip any more panels off to fix this. I'm guessing the point where they tap into the electrical is just disconnected or something.

8. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

If it's on the window sticker under vehicle options then the puddle lights were installed at the port - where the cars are unloaded off the ship before being shipped to the dealers. Or if it's listed under dealer installed options on the right side, then, well, a dealer tech did it.
    Yes, the install uses a couple of those crappy line taps behind the driver's kick panel. They probably just didn't do it quite right. Set up an appointment with the dealer.
    Connecting the wires only takes 5 minutes. Installing the lights and running the wires takes about an hour. They will need to remove the front door sill plate and the kick panel. Both come off and go back on very easily. You can easily check it yourself, but getting the hood release lever off is a little quirky. A 10MM socket works well to release the holding tangs so the lever slides off. There's a copy of the install instructions floating around in one of these threads....

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. pkarandi

Thanks a bunch for the detailed info oddball. I may try to take a stab at checking the connection points myself. I did find the install instructions in another thread, but to be honest, I found them a little daunting.

I thought these were installed at the port, because they just received the car last Thursday, and I went to check it out on Sunday and they were already installed. Plus, I was dealing with the dealer before the car even arrived at their building so I would be surprised if they installed it themselves when it was basically sold before it even arrived. BUT, it is listed on the right side of the Monroney sticker, so who knows...

10. pkarandi

A quick update. I took the car to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed that the puddle light wiring was messed up. They re-wired them and they work great now! Very happy to have this resolved, as they look pretty sweet.

Draft saved Draft deleted