1. PLEASE! It is VERY important that this area is not used for the discussion of technical issues with your Stinger. This section is for posting about regional-specific things like Stinger clubs, events, local vendor or dealer recommendations, KiaStinger.com member sightings, etcetera... In other words, I do NOT want people to need to scour through several different sections to find answers about their heads up display. That's why there's a section dedicated specifically to discussions like that. THANK YOU!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Navigation Maps and Map version numbers

Discussion in 'Stingers Down Under' started by Jamie M, Feb 3, 2018.

1. fo0lishkid

fo0lishkid Australia Newish Member

went in for 3000km service today and they said none available...only if i had this post to show them.. im still on the AUS.09.xxx

• Like Like x 1
  2. jdsyd

jdsyd Australia Newish Member

Hi all managed to download the KIA stinger GPS map update yesterday. The dealer told me how to do it. It took awhile for the new map to download to a SD card. I used a new one so not to change the original one. The website is map-care.com

Select Kia Australia. You need to register as a new user with your email address and vin number. The password also requires a special character. Then you log in and download the download manager software. If you look around there is a video and some instructions.

Insert a SD card into the PC or adapter, run the download manager software and wait a few hours to download (in my case). I then put the SD card in the Stinger and although it told me it was incompatible it went ahead and installed the update map anyway. The dealer also told me I will now get email alerts when new maps are available.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Stinger GT SS

Stinger GT SS Australia 2500 Posts Club!

Well they are telling fibs, look at the photo’s I posted on page one, compare them to yours & if it’s the Feb. one go & show them how misinformed they are.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jdsyd

jdsyd Australia Newish Member

If you feel confident you can do it yourself. see previous post

5. Stinger GT SS

Don’t have a problem doing myself, but as the map upgrades are free I’ll leave that to my dealer to do, if problems occur it’s their problem to fix, but thanks for the information & link for DIYers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AussieBwoah

AussieBwoah Australia Newish Member

I did the same today using their SD card, no error messages, just went ahead like usual. Super easy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Successfully downloaded (about 45min) and updated. Thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FitR6

FitR6 Australia Active Member

I assume I have the latest version, but it still sucks big time. So many street are missing.... And not just in new development areas. Some of the old back streets in Londonderry are missing from them too. And map quality is horrible. I use Waze GPS most of the time now through Android Auto.

9. Stinger GT SS

Have you checked your version, I previously posted (#20) of both versions so you can compare. Up to date Sat. Nav. Maps can be hit & miss, in my opinion, trying to stay up to date with information can be a constant battle between planners/progress & the some map software companies, so I think in some cases it is probably acceptable for maps to be potentially 1-2 years behind from actual, this is my guess anyway.

10. FitR6

FitR6 Australia Active Member

I haven't checked the version no, but as it's a June 2018 build I just assumed it has the latest. Regardless, streets more than 30 years old should be on it... And some aren't. That's pretty poor. I also think the maps look really inferior quality, that's why I refuse to use them. :oops:

11. Stinger GT SS

I agree, should be up to date & 30 year old streets should be there, unless they know something we don’t with regards to progress....lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. smillie

smillie New Zealand Newish Member

Have same version as your first picture. Asked two Kia dealers here about updates both said none available so phoned Kia head office in NZ and talked to guy who issues updates here. He said there was an update (same as your second picture) which had been available since July 18 here.
    He e-mailed the dealer where I had my service done to "remind" them about it and next day I got a call from them to book it in for the update.
    Looks like they are not bothered if they can get away with not doing it as there's no money in it for them. By the way Kia head office said we get 10 years of free map updates.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ShannonC

@smillie Here's a link to the map update site for a DIY. There's a section for NZ if you want to share it with others in your situation.
    HYUNDAI-MNSOFT

• Like Like x 1
  14. smillie

Thanks already checked that out but unfortunately the NZ section only has a dealer login, no user login like Australia for some reason.

15. ShannonC

Ok, I didn't know that.

16. smillie

Had a bit of a discussion with Hyundai and Mnsoft about their website. Reading between the lines of what they said the NZ dealers are only offering the free updates when the car is serviced at a dealership so drumming up some revenue if you want the updates

17. smillie

Had my map updated to the latest version today (successfully) at the dealership. But when I arrived I got dire warnings from them that the software in NZ stingers was slightly different from that in the Australian cars and that it may not work, may corrupt the head unit, may need a replacement etc.
    Anyway after it was done I asked if it had been easier than they thought and was told they had to take my car to Kia head office to get further instructions on how to do it, so apparently not then. Can't understand why it should be so difficult, surely it should be pretty straightforward?

18. ShannonC

But you have to go back to dealer for scheduled service so should be no big deal.

19. ShannonC

Dealer sounds like a wanker. Login to website, register VIN, download update to laptop or PC (about 30min), remove SD card from Stinger, place SD in laptop/PC, transfer file to SD, replace SD in Stinger = done. Not really rocket science.

20. smillie

Yes, that's true but it was more complicated for them that it should have been.

Draft saved Draft deleted