kia stinger store

Looking for an alternative to Michelin PS4S

Ulikefishsticks

Alright, I had my last nice drive on this set of PS4S. It's time to get a new set of tires. I was just wondering what would I lose if I went from an Ultra High Performance Summer tire like the PS4S vs a Ultra High Performance All-Season like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I don't plan on ever tracking the car so UBER grip isn't extremely important. I do enjoy the curvy roads though. This last set of PS4S has been great for me in every regard besides tread life. At the rate I drive I would go through 2 sets a year.

I guess I am in between trying a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and maybe giving a set of Falken Azenis FK510 a try. The latter might be the sweet spot of price/tread life and not sacrificing that grip going to an All Season.

colnago1331

Conti DWS 06s or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s are the way to go. Versus the PS4s, you will loose some grip; there's no way around that. But you won't lose so much that you're likely to notice. I had DWS 06s on my last car, an Audi S6, and I never felt like the car overpowered the tires, even with 420 hp.

Tire Rack did a good comparison between these two, the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS, and the Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate.

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Alright, I had my last nice drive on this set of PS4S. It's time to get a new set of tires. I was just wondering what would I lose if I went from an Ultra High Performance Summer tire like the PS4S vs a Ultra High Performance All-Season like the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. I don't plan on ever tracking the car so UBER grip isn't extremely important. I do enjoy the curvy roads though. This last set of PS4S has been great for me in every regard besides tread life. At the rate I drive I would go through 2 sets a year.

I guess I am in between trying a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 and maybe giving a set of Falken Azenis FK510 a try. The latter might be the sweet spot of price/tread life and not sacrificing that grip going to an All Season.
Are you in part of the US that you can justify doing a summer and "winter" tire? You would get longer life out of the tires, and the best of both worlds in having the best tire for each season

Ulikefishsticks

Are you in part of the US that you can justify doing a summer and "winter" tire? You would get longer life out of the tires, and the best of both worlds in having the best tire for each season
I live in NC where the snow is rare. And when temps drop below 40ish, I don't drive the stinger.

RedCal

1000 Posts Club!
Toronto, ON
Well if you have the option to not drive in colder temps that is good, not sure what the treadware difference is but I ran Pirelli P ZERO all seasons, (on my last car) about the same performance as the PS 3's so I would have a look at them as well.

Last edited:

jazzdabb

Raleigh NC
I live in NC where the snow is rare. And when temps drop below 40ish, I don't drive the stinger.

I'm also in NC and have been looking for my next tire as well. I still have some miles left on my Michelins but have been trying to decide between a summer (most likely PS4S) and an all season performance tire. I was originally looking at Continental DWS tires as I have had multiple good experiences with them previously. However, my current research has me pointed at the Goodyear Exhilarates. My last Goodyear experience was not favorable (despite good ratings) but I like what I see from multiple reviews. I really can't justify a dedicated set of winter tires but I want something that will retain good traction on wet roads over the life of the tire and not be completely helpless in a 1/4" of snow.

7 Of The Best Ultra High Performance All Season Tires for 2020 - Tested and Reviewed

Testing Premium Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires 2020

Practical Performance: Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Tire Review

New Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Tires For My RS7!

Ulikefishsticks

I'm also in NC and have been looking for my next tire as well. I still have some miles left on my Michelins but have been trying to decide between a summer (most likely PS4S) and an all season performance tire. I was originally looking at Continental DWS tires as I have had multiple good experiences with them previously. However, my current research has me pointed at the Goodyear Exhilarates. My last Goodyear experience was not favorable (despite good ratings) but I like what I see from multiple reviews. I really can't justify a dedicated set of winter tires but I want something that will retain good traction on wet roads over the life of the tire and not be completely helpless in a 1/4" of snow.

7 Of The Best Ultra High Performance All Season Tires for 2020 - Tested and Reviewed

Testing Premium Ultra High Performance All-Season Tires 2020

Practical Performance: Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Tire Review

New Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate Tires For My RS7!
Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I'm still used to my previous car which only had all season tires. I also didn't drive that car even remotely as much as I do my stinger(2007 Accord 4cyl). Going a few years on a single set was normal. Now I'm getting 6 months, it's a shock that I am trying to cope with. Hence why I'm trying to find something that lasts a bit longer.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I have recommended the Nitto Motivo, UHP A/S I run in winter. They grip really well for A/S. The price is right. And the treadlife warranty is 60K miles; that means 30K in back for the staggered setup. Motivo | Nitto Tire

CKeeler

Stinger Enthusiast
Quail Valley, CA

I have the Falken Azensis on mine. They’re good, but don’t give the same level of confidence that the Michelin’s do.

Marylandkiastingergt

Newish Member
So I drive my car a lot and i'm not happy with the tread life on the PS4S. I don't drive extremely aggressive and I don't mind spending similar prices to the PS4S. I'm looking for summer tires as I have a winter set but I suppose I could give an All Season tire a try if it can give decent summer grip with good wet grip also. What are some other good alternatives or what has everyone else used with success?
I have had both the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and Continental DWS 06 tires and they are both excellent tires. Continental better in snow and tread wear, but Michelin’s are better in cornering, braking, and wet & dry grip. I have a square setup on my Stinger (245/35/20) and just got 42,000 miles from a set of Michelin Pilot A/S 3+ tires. Highly Recommend!!

I've had experience with the Continental DWS 05 and 06's, as well as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's. I could actually drive my Z in the snow with the Continentals, as crazy as that sounds. Even with the tires almost to the wear bars. Another tire I recommend - Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+. We have them on our Sportage SX and they are really good tires. Y speed rated, and not super expensive.

Jayphil

DWS06 are not so good for cornering especially at the begining because of the height of the tread. Once they wear down they get better but I would favor the Michelin A/S 3 if you rarely see snow (DSW06 are suprisingly good in snow but not so much on ice like you would expect for non dedicated winter tires...)

STINGER

Stinger Enthusiast
Bahrain
Having tried both the Indy 500 and PS4S on the Stinger, I can tell you the value for money aspect on the Indy 500 is definitely true and they last a long time, its a very good all rounder and the tread looks good as well. Performance wise, are they as good as the PS4S, short answer no.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
I recently moved to Arizona and before heading out here, I got a set of BF Goodrich Comp 2 AS Plus, in stock size. My drive across the country on these tires gave me a lot of experience in a short 3 day time period. They worked well in the chilly VA weather, gripped well on some curvy mountain roads through Tennessee, sailed through downpours in Arkansas in to Oklahoma, then flew through Texas and New Mexico to Arizona, where I had some curvy road fun coming down 17 into Phoenix.

Similar grip to the PS4, less harsh riding and some AS capabilities, all at a lower price and no stretched look, makes this a top buy in my book and an excellent fit for the GT character of the Stinger. I’ll say as well, my car has the Mando unit installed with my sport tuning and the combo changes my Stinger in to more more of a Sporty GT than the standard Stinger setup.

Karl Davlin

STL Stinger Club
Missouri
I just put TURANZA QUIETTRACK (245/45R18) on mine. The rating for dry and wet pavement is very good and they are rated as VERY quiet. Check the ratings on TireRack.

So far, I've been very happy with them.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
It’s sort of strange that KIA now has GT AS tires on the Stinger when they used to come with Max performance summers tires. They are probably more comfortable than the summer tires and last longer, but they will certainly lack the grip. I’m not sure why Michelin isn’t producing the PS AS4 in a size for the Stinger. With KIA using Pirelli now for their new vehicles, it would seem likely they would also equip the Stinger with something from their lineup. Maybe that will happen in the future.

Drakkon.ri

Newish Member
St Louis, MO
I have my OE wheels and still have Michelin 4S's but I don't think those will go back on.
I do have a set of Bridgestone winters on 18s instead of 19s just for that many fewer pinch flats. In 2.5 years of ownership, I've had three. Our streets are terrible.

Drakkon.ri

Newish Member
St Louis, MO
It’s sort of strange that KIA now has GT AS tires on the Stinger when they used to come with Max performance summers tires. They are probably more comfortable than the summer tires and last longer, but they will certainly lack the grip. I’m not sure why Michelin isn’t producing the PS AS4 in a size for the Stinger. With KIA using Pirelli now for their new vehicles, it would seem likely they would also equip the Stinger with something from their lineup. Maybe that will happen in the future.
It's not unusual for manufacturers to have the some of the hottest features when a car is first launched because that's when the press is all abuzz about the car. Then as the years progress, they "de-content" the car to make it cheaper to manufacture.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
I also have experience with the Continental DWS 06 and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+, and the Pilot Sport 3+ were much better performing and treadwear was only slightly worse than the DWS 06. Since you never need to drive in snow, I'd go with the Pilot 3+ all day.

Waynerm002

2500 Posts Club!
Arizona
Unless you have 18” wheels, there isn’t a matching setup the stock 19” for the Michelin PS AS3+, from what I recall. The same is true for the new AS4. I find the BF Goodrich (which falls under the Michelin umbrella) COMP 2 AS+ to be one of the best choices of you are looking for performance similar to the PS4.