Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Kia Stinger Touch Up Paint

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Detailing Discussion' started by Kia Stinger, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Now if I had the time to go into the eBay store of every country... :p

2. oxide365

oxide365 United States Active Member

Ordered .Thanks!

3. voon

voon Switzerland Stinger Enthusiast

Here's the video I meant btw:

Also shows, that proper touchup isn't usually a "I'll do it on a nice sunday afternoon" job ... takes longer :)

4. StingerGT68

StingerGT68 Stinger Enthusiast

So I botched a touch-up spot on my hood...the pen tip dispensed just a bit too much paint. I bought that Loew Cornell pen which is much better. Question is: how can I fix that spot I messed up? How can I remove the touch-up paint?

5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

Use some rubbing compound to smooth the surface out and then use some polishing compound to restore the shine.

Lots of elbow grease required.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. StingerGT68

Wonderful, looking forward to that. I wonder if I should just have the local detailing place handle it...if I mess it up again I'll be so angry.

7. Kamauxx

How big is the spot? Has the touchup paint essentially spilled over onto the factory paint? In other words have you repaired the problem with the paint but simply used too much paint?

If that's the case it should be pretty easy to fix. The rubbing compound will smooth out the service but remove some of the luster from the paint. After getting it factory smooth you just apply the polishing compound and it will restore the shine. It's a simple process if the spot is small.

I wouldn't pay someone to do it if it's small.

8. StingerGT68

Yeah it's small, but basically the paint covered the chip spot but it was too much paint and when I tried fixing it it became a bit uneven. So while it's not really on the factory paint, maybe the rubbing compound could help smooth it out. Or maybe some 2000 sandpaper and then the compound.

9. Kamauxx

You shouldn't need sandpaper for a small area. Rubbing compound will smoothen it out. If you have a powered drill you can buy some pads to use like a buffer. That'll make it a lot easier.

10. StingerGT68

Would something like this make sense? Or just straight rubbing compound then separate polish? Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

11. Kamauxx

I don't think that will work by itself. The grit in polishing compound is good for removing swirls and fine lines. I don't think it'll be abrasive enough to remove any high spots in the paint.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Coast GT

Coast GT Australia Active Member

Hey Sal, any movement on getting these paint pens in your store? I know this thread hasn’t had any movement in a while, was just wondering. My dealership spare parts told me they can’t source them because they’re a Kia America product not available in Australia. I’m thinking about doing the rebadge thing and thought if you had them I could throw one in when I get the badges to save on postage etc.

13. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Paint pens are not good go for the brush type and use a plastic tooth pick to apply to chips. You can get paint on eBay.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted
Tags: