Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

It has been a tough week in the Stinger. I need encouragement from the faithful. Haha.

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Helo58, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Travis Wills

Travis Wills United States Active Member

My local dealer has 20 Stingers in the lot. Other dealers have about the same and they are discounting them over $13k on leases.

Edit: I thought the discounted cars were AWD but they were RWD so the discount is more like $13k-$14k. Still a very nice discount though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 3:53 PM
  2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Only read your OP: and I'll reply as if I'm the only one. :D (then read what others have said)

"First year model" is inescapable as soon as a new car is marketed. The Stinger is "lucky" because it went from dream to concept to development to show car to production car: a rare path for any idea in the automotive world. And it is worthy. It will never be perfect, or perfectly free of defects. Point to even one car that is?

All of your issues are individual to your vehicle. I'm sorry to read of so many; but they are less than others', as you noted. Not one of these issues people complain about are because the Stinger was flawed as a final production model: the concept was sound and practical and romantic all at once: the implementation of the production model was competent and thoroughly vetted through testing and prior experience (Audi and BMW experience, no less!). There are no "first year model" "Mistakes" that will be removed: the car will simply get better as production settles into full synchronization. Selecting different suppliers for parts will naturally happen as Kia determines that a cost-effective replacement is better (I can see the aftermarket brake pads being influential).

Fortunately most of your "list" is minor stuff; the crazed plastic roof strips are warrantied (hassle though); the hatch lid noises have remedies; the tire failure was actually road hazard damage and nothing to do with a Stinger issue; LSD (Limited Slip Differential) seems like additional hassle (unlucky there), but it isn't a chassis or suspension issue, of that I am confident; waste gate, is a part failure, not a Stinger "first year model" thing, because this engine and these turbos are not "first year" not by a long country mile: they're proven equipment on other models for years.

Once your issues are resolved your moonroof will rattle: oh, never mind! That's one potential annoyance you missed entirely! :laugh::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  3. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

I feel for you and your frustrations, @Helo58. As with everything in life, unmet expectations can not be overcome. It's just that simple.

It's up to us to adjust our expectations.

I was talking with my oldest daughter last night. She has a 2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige. Outside of numerous recalls, she's had nothing go wrong with it. Yet, she is still frustrated with the recalls.

She paid about the same for that as I did my GT2 Awd. Her expectations aren't met and now she's concerned about her warranty period expiring and what might happen.

At least we have longer warranties on our Stingers....

I had the hatch rattle which turned out to be a loose spare tire, fixed.

I had a few paint chips. The dealer covered my front end with Xpel. Fixed.

Brake issue fixed by myself with aftermarket rotors and pads.

Driver seat leather replaced for wear.

Still loving my Stinger because my expectations were that I'd have some issues that the warranty would cover.

Expectations met.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

$16K??? Are you talking about Hendricks Kia?

5. Helo58

Helo58 United States Stinger Enthusiast

I always enjoy the wit and wisdom of a Merlin reply, along with the interspersion of humor as well. This one does not disappoint. However, as I began reading your reply, I prepared myself for your gallant defense of all things Stinger. Haha.

Well, in accordance with the spirit of your post, let's see what I can say in reply... You asked me to point, in general, to "even one car that is" free of defects. Admittedly, there are none. However, in your very next sentence you state, "All of your issues are individual to your vehicle." By this logic, I need only point to cars that I have owned that were free of defects, not all cars in general. That is exceedingly easy as there are many. 1) 1987 Mazda B2200 pickup. 2) 1993 Honda Civic Si 3) 2000 Honda Civic Si 4) 2010 Genesis Coupe (1st model year) 5) 2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 6) 2010 Lexus IS-F, 2014 Chevy Silverado. These are all cars that I owned for at least 36 months that never spent a night away from me in a maintenance shop. This list represent over 3/4 of all the cars I have ever owned.

As with beauty, "minor" is in the eye of the beholder. To me, minor is something that can be fixed while I get my oil changed. I would even go as far to say that half a day of labor would be used to correct a minor problem. Of these fixes, the rear decklid fix and possibly the new pads and rotors, etc. fall into this category. I have no idea how long the roof strips take to remove, install, color match, etc. On the other end of the spectrum, having to be without my Stinger for more than an entire month is hardly minor, nor is being on my third set of pads or rotors.

Where I am at now is this... I have owned lots of other cars. Many of those other cars have not disappointed me in ways that this one has. And, if not the car, the dealership experience. I understand that many or most are still in their love affair with their car. I am exceedingly happy for them. In general, I am happy with my car. But when I take the time to wash it and clean it and the paint is cracked, it is disappointing. When I drive my car the way it is driven in the advertisements and the brakes shake my passengers and make odd noises, it is disappointing. When I turn my great looking car off in a crowded parking lot and the engine/turbo screeches to a halt, it is disappointing. When I take my car in for fixes to the brakes or drivetrain and the problems can't be fixed or the solution leads to new problems, it is disappointing. Of all these things, many are noticed daily as I get into and drive my car. When I consider the number of cars that I have simply maintained and driven without these types of "minor" occurrences, it is disappointing.

There is still time for the planets to align and for all to be right in Stingerville, but if they ever do, it will depend on Kia resolving the existing issues permanently and no new issues showing up. My fingers are crossed!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. oddball

oddball United States Active Member

Like all good things in life, the Stinger is a PITA.

At least I don't have to pull the engine every 12 months like I do on the Cutlass! :laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Travis Wills

No, dealers up North are the ones discounting them on leases. I was wrong. I doubled checked it and it is more like $13k to $14k. Koons and the Virginia dealers have some GT2s listed under $39k and $42k respectively.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019 at 3:51 PM
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Peeso33

Peeso33 United States Active Member

I might have missed it, but is this a lease or purchase?

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. MerlintheMad

Good point! If I had a list of cars like that, and even one fault in my Stinger put it into the shop for one or more days, I'd compare it unfavorably to the reliability (perfection) of most of my previous rides. But once your Stinger's issues are resolved (being fixable) it should be wholly satisfying going forward. *fingers crossed*
    Somebody on here recently said they were "in and out" (words to that effect) to replace the roof strips. So there is hope.
    True. You've already experience enough disappointment to sour three owners. I hope this ends in success soon.
    Thank you! :) I too joy in the joy of others.
    You have my most genuine wishes (prayers, same thing to me) that you get to enjoy your car as much as I enjoy mine! :thumbup:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Helo58

Thanks Merlin! That is good to hear about the roof strips! While driving home tonight, I "matted" the accelerator at a stoplight on a rural road. I am still in love with the low rpm, effortless pull that this car has. It is quiet and roomy and comfortable. I just have to get these pesky issues resolved. Of course, it is becoming a busy time of year with work and the holidays, so I have to get hopping! Setting an appointment at the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the wishes/prayers. They are appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Helo58

This is a lease. Otherwise, I might be more inclined to pony up more $$$ to resolve these issues quicker (and better).:)

12. Peeso33

Peeso33 United States Active Member

I would say, drive the car, enjoy the car. Deal with the safety concerns the best you can. Don't put any more money into it. This is not a car (this specific one) you would want to buy at the end of the lease anyway. In another year or so (assuming it was a 36 month lease), it would be Kia's problem. Some times it's just a matter of luck. Even Honda, Toyota/Lexus have had models/specific cars riddled with problems. You're actually better off vs someone who financed or purchased the vehicle straight up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Travis Wills

what model year is your car? Sorry you are having so many issues with it.

14. Helo58

Thanks Travis, it is a 2018. Hopefully we will get it sorted in the next month or so.

15. Helo58

When I look on the Kia Corporate inventory search, I see ONE Stinger listed locally and it is a Premium. However, when I go to one local dealer website, it shows several (10+) Stingers many of them GT(X). There are probably 8-10 dealers within 125 miles of me. Why aren't these Stingers showing on the corporate page? Does anyone know what is up with this?

16. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada 1000 Posts Club!

I absolutely agree and this is exactly why I wish I would have leased my car. The way I look at it, if I leased it and I figured it's not up to standard, I'm just going to treat it like a rental car (but don't wreck it) and let Kia have it back when I'm done with it. Since I have mine on finance, I have to deal with tire kickers that might point out these problems when trying to sell it privately, or possibly diminished trade in value if trading because of the issues, but then again my last few trades were super under valued even though they were cosmetically and mechanically immaculate...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. 19GT-AWD

19GT-AWD Active Member

'19 Stinger GT AWD, base model, ~7,000 miles, no issues.

• Like Like x 1
  18. MerlintheMad

Is @Helo58 's signature invisible to everyone but me? People keep asking what Model Year his Stinger is. :p
    That reads fine, but in reality you pay out over $5K in lease rent by the end of the lease. "The privilege of leasing" comes with a price.
    I hate selling vehicles. But I figured the money saved by avoiding lease rent would more than compensate me for going through the hassle of selling the Stinger, if it comes to that. Meanwhile, I don't have any inkling as to why I would want to sell it. So far a straight up purchase has been ideal for me.

19. Legendsk

Legendsk United States Active Member

I liked my 2018 (build date March 2018), when I got it. Initially a little troubled by little weird things, but no real problems. I got it believing it will become a cult classic. Because of the poor dealer support, I am more convinced than ever that it will happen. Just like very few Corvette owners will let a Chevy dealer touch it, Stingers will surely fall into this category also. So sales volume will not be as good as it should, but that's a Kia problem, not mine. After 8,000 miles I really love the car. Had the dealer been able to explain the problems I did have, I would have felt this way sooner. Stuff like the "cannot detect driver's grasp on the wheel" messages, when I actually have both hands on the wheel. And then disabling the LKA (Lane Keep Assist) because of it? And then I find (from this forum, of course), of course it cannot. It has no sensors in the steering wheel! If the car is properly aligned and you can go down the road a few miles without having to make steering corrections - you get the message, because the computer decides whether you are holding the wheel, based on your moving the wheel back and forth? So when you get the message, just twitch the wheel a tiny bit and it will instantly go away. That and 100 similar bothersome things that the dealer could have pointed out, wouldn't have ever been questionable. I do hope Kia will update the software which has lots of bugs that cause unexpected things to happen now and again. But most manufacturers don't, with the hopes that you will trade for a new one to get the update? All in all, the car is wonderful! The dealership service disappointing at best.

• Like Like x 1
  20. MerlintheMad

:laugh: I'd never have that problem occur, then, if I had LKA (Lane Keep Assist). I'm always changing lanes or moving to the left or right of my lane to get a better view ahead.

Draft saved Draft deleted