Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Is your sunroof noisy AND loose?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by Revvdmedia, Aug 12, 2019.

Is your sunroof noisy and/or loose

1. Quiet and tight

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Quiet and loose

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Noisy and tight

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Noisy and loose

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

Yea, the Optima has an all glass roof with a cloth cover like ours has that extends from front to rear to block the sun. Halfway it has a bar that goes from one side to the other.

kia-optima-sunroof-300x164.jpg

2. Kamauxx

I just made a video of my lovely interior sounds. I was driving between 20-25mph over relatively smooth pavement with the radio off. At the end of the video I hit the tilt button.

For your listening pleasure. :rofl:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I hate to say it but that might be worse than mine, or it as at least worse because yours seems constantly persistent. Mine is just loud and over any roads that cause the body to flex. Yours never stops!

I guess mine is "popping" and yours sounds more like "rattling" at least in terms of frequency.

4. Kamauxx

I think it's the various plastics up and down the frame of the glass rubbing together. Makes the car sound like the USS Constitution in rough seas. Every ride is an adventure.

5. Kamauxx

So I was wrong. My roof is loose but not in the same way as yours. I haven't washed my car by hand in well over a year so I guess it's my fault for not noticing this sooner but I can press down on it from the outside and it has quite a bit of play in it.

No clue how this could be fixed without significant invasive procedures from Kia.

Check out this video

6. Revvdmedia

Mine moves when pressing it down as well and makes a little noise but yours sounds louder in the video.

I found on mine today when pressing up on the headliner on the passenger side close to the edge where the sunroof is, where the sunroof frame is, I heard a familiar popping. I open the glass and slid it back and pressing the same area resulted in no noises...weird.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  7. Kamauxx

Have you taken it to Kia yet?

I wonder if @westcoastGT sunroof issue was similar to anything seen in this thread? His had to be completely replaced!

8. Revvdmedia

Mine has been to Kia 4 times. Last time they tested against another car which was also noisy and thus deemed it normal operation. I need a new dealer/elevate to corporate/get in touch with westcoastGT's guy. Time is running out though since last winter it was quiet. Might be quiet again this winter too.

9. MartinUK

MartinUK United Kingdom Member

Mine which KIA said is acceptable. you may have to turn it up to hear over road noise.

10. Revvdmedia

Yep, the all too familiar noise. Was it Kia from a corporate/engineering level that deemed this acceptable, or just your dealer?

The treatment and answers are very inconsistent. We all need to keep the pressure on Kia, strength in numbers. Some people are being told this is normal from a dealer level, some from a corporate level. Others are having entire sunroof assemblies replaced, small tweaks, padding added. The one person on the G70 forum had his entire sunroof replaced, another had the headliner replaced. G70 has some kind of "kit" to fix this issue which doesn't work for most. Kia put out some kind of bulletin in Australia regarding silicone addition on the mounting points, which did not work. Someone from Texas' dealer stated Kia knows of the issue and is looking at a fix and TSB without a timeline. Some in Canada are pushing with their dealers and corporate.

Kia knows this is a problem. Let's all get in their face about it.

I would push harder myself, but the noises settle down almost completely when it is cold and rainy, which it has been all summer and continues now, so nothing to "diagnose" on my car right now. I'll get back on it next spring (unless a TSB comes out) once the popping is in full force and do some other research. I still review this thread a few times a week because I know data collection is important when presenting a theory.

To that end...most of us think the issue is the sunroof and it might be, but there is a possibility it is the headliner....we should not discount that. A full sunroof replacement requires full removal of the headliner...putting it back up differently could be fixing the problem. Currently, Genesis (or their dealers) believe there is not enough clearance between the headliner and the sunroof assembly causing noises in the G70. There is a possibility that could be our issue too...

• Like Like x 1
  11. MartinUK

MartinUK United Kingdom Member

They say the decision is from head office & KIA Bolton where I purchased the car is the only official KIA owned dealer in the UK so I'd have thought they'd take it more seriously.

12. Lord3Putt

Lord3Putt United States Member

Here's my sunroof rattle. This is after it's been to the dealership twice for repair. You shouldn't have to deal with this out of a $20k car, let alone a $50K+ one.

13. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

My GT2 had no noise. No sunroof noise, no trunk noise. My new GTS has both. The trunk rattle over bumps and the sunroof noise when I'm at 70 mph or higher. My music covers the sunroof noise but if I turn off the music its whistling...

14. Kamauxx

Great, so whatever the issue is with our relatively ancient 2017 built Stingers it's still present with cars built 2 years later.

So if Kia is acknowledging this is a problem (as some have said) they either don't know how to fix it or don't care about fixing it.

15. Jimmer

Jimmer United States Stinger Enthusiast

My dealership is all about fixing it. I'll let yall know how it goes once I take it in.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. Revvdmedia

Can you put some tags and a title on that YouTube video? Like "Kia Stinger Sunroof Rattle" "Sunroof Rattle" etc. I didn't want to force anyone into it, but flooding YouTube with videos of Stingers with rattling sunroofs might get their butt in gear lol. Negative press and whatnot.

17. Lord3Putt

Lord3Putt United States Member

Done...should've done that from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GrizzGrumps

GrizzGrumps United Kingdom Member

I pick up my Stinger last weekend with 1000 miles on clock. Already have noticed noisy sunroof

Draft saved Draft deleted