Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Is the Drive Wise Package Worth it?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Uday, Jul 9, 2018.

1. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Active Member

Absolutely worth every penny! I really didn’t think I would use most of the features, but now I couldn’t live without them.

The Forward Collision Avoidance has already saved me once when a driver unexpectedly pulled out in from of me! That alone was worth the upgrade, but I also learned to love the smart cruise combined with the active lane assist. On the highway the car basically drives by itself! After customizing the settings it’s unobtrusive and helps a lot more than I ever expected. The blind spot and cross traffic warnings are a must as well, so I can’t think of any feature I’d be willing to give up.

Maybe I got a little spoiled, but it’s nice to finally enjoy the finer things in life.:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. StingerNYC

StingerNYC United States Active Member

I think it's well worth it. It saved me over the weekend on the golden state parkway. Going 85 and suddenly the traffic over a slight incline was at a dead stop. The car reacted before I did, the tires didnt quite squeal but it was close and if left to me it may have been much worse!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada Active Member

Stingers with the DriveWise have a 5 star safety rating and the ones with out are 3 star. Maybe that’s why insurance might be lower with DriveWise. 2K to save your life or others, why not, we are humans and do have our moments.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Stinger305

Stinger305 United States Member

We're insured with AAA and the only question they asked was whether my car was 4 cylinder or v6. Maybe I dodged a bullet with that one.

5. Paul32

Paul32 United States Active Member

They know all about your car based on the Vin number.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Stinger305

Then why'd they ask if it was a v6?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paul32

Don't know, but I received all discounts based on the safety features without them asking me if I had the package.

8. jrhodes87

jrhodes87 United States Active Member

From my experience the safety features were not relevant to insurance, I was quoted the same on one with and one without when I was shopping around. Could be specific to company.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  9. Stinger305

Also, the Stinger has great standard safety features as well. But maybe the Drive Wise package's star rating brings the entire average up and helps everyone. Hey, I'm not complaining!

10. Paul32

Think you guys are right, checked my insurance and discounts were for the standard safety features of the Stinger.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. eflyguy

eflyguy United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

When I filled out the pricing and feature survey for KIA, my mentality was "hell no, I want a pure drivers car."

Having since driven cars with 360º camera, active lane keep assist, and adaptive cruise (with collision avoidance), I am now absolutely sold on them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stinger305

I can't wait till I can pay Kia to upgrade to a 360º camera. That's technology I can get behind!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TV3

TV3 United States Member

Worth it. I did it and I've never questioned my choice. It's just like having my wife in the car except there are no arguments:)

• Funny Funny x 4
  14. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States Stinger Enthusiast

Oh, my, goodness! Don't even think that, let alone say it, ever again. They do NOT drive themselves. And if you get lazy with your commitment to engage at least half of your brain power while driving you are going to turn into a flabby and eventually sad driver, if not a crippled or dead one. I'm very exercised about this! "Self-driving" (autopilot) cars are not the wave of the future until every road is standardized material, markers, intersections and etc. And pedestrians, bicyclists, whathaveyou, are banished from interfacing with motorized traffic. The accident that will get you is like the woman a couple of months ago here in Utah, who was looking up "route options" on her cell phone while her Tesla "drove itself". She'd been doing this for TWO YEARS!? She hadn't touched the steering wheel for eighty seconds before her "autopilot" car drove full speed into the rear end of a fire truck waiting at a red light.

I deliberately avoided the "drive wise" package, not to save money per se, but to avoid having all kinds of "nanny" programs aboard. I don't want any of them when I am supposed to be driving. Cars changing lanes in my rear can be scoped with rearview mirrors. You should always be checking your rearview mirrors for moronic motorists. They are literally the ones endangering you more often than any other quadrant: because so many people have their eyes down looking at something besides the road ahead, etc.!

15. MerlintheMad

If, IF, I had known then what I know now, and 360 degree camera had been available, I'd have bought the drive wise package just for that alone. And I'd now have perfectly pristine wheels instead of three out four with curb rash. Grrr! That camera technology is amazing. I'd only use it when parking, not when driving: well, I say this in ignorance: it might be useful when driving too. But it would be the parking assist that I'd get if for.

16. StingerGT68

StingerGT68 Stinger Enthusiast

You're missing out, it's a fantastic system and all the nanny programs can be turned off. Use only what you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MerlintheMad

But I don't want any of that; only the 360 degree camera. And we can't have one.

18. StingerGT68

StingerGT68 Stinger Enthusiast

As others here have said, you don't know you want it until you've had it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. MerlintheMad

That is certainly true. Before this car, I didn't know that I "wanted" a luxury sport sedan. I read about it all last winter. Now it is an intimate part of my daily thoughts and activities. And when I drive, my imagination is engaged in ways utterly foreign to the "old me". :p But, BUT, "drives itself"??? No, freaking, way, not now, not ever. Nannies are fine. Imagining that this or any car "practically drives itself" is scary laziness to the max!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  20. Jonathan

Jonathan United States Member

Its worth it. Blind spot monitoring works with the HUD as well -the BSM logo appears on each side.
    The forward collision sensitivity can be turned down.
    As a daily going through the Dallas highways, it nice to have due to other horrible drivers on the road.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted