kia stinger store

Interior noises, solutions?

Taffy

Hi,
I had creaking noises from my sunroof and from the driver’s side. Kia took it in for a week and removed the whole sunroof. It has resulted in a significant improvement but I can still hear slight creaking sounds. My driver’s side door / window creaks a lot, especially first thing in the morning and when going over large speed humps etc. it is going in again for a full driver’s door reseal in a couple of weeks. We will see.

TheBusch

Hi,
I had creaking noises from my sunroof and from the driver’s side. Kia took it in for a week and removed the whole sunroof. It has resulted in a significant improvement but I can still hear slight creaking sounds. My driver’s side door / window creaks a lot, especially first thing in the morning and when going over large speed humps etc. it is going in again for a full driver’s door reseal in a couple of weeks. We will see.
it's probably the plastic trim, not the seal

stoopid

Stinger Enthusiast
Las Vegas, NV
For those with widespread creaks, did these develop over time? Or were they apparent within the first few thousand miles? So far the hatch rattle has been the only thing I've needed to address, but was thinking I can start planning ahead / do some maintenance things.

I also already used some silicon based sealant on the door seals. I do this to prolong their life, hadn't thought that it may also stop some minor chatter as they dried with age.

The road noise is bearable but I can understand if it bothers some people. I knew going into Stinger ownership it wasn't going to be as quiet as my past few less performance oriented cars. With expectations already low, the Stinger has at least proven to be a fairly quiet cabin and during long trips having music at medium volume is more than enough to drown things out.

OneIota

Sustaining Member
For those with widespread creaks, did these develop over time? Or were they apparent within the first few thousand miles? So far the hatch rattle has been the only thing I've needed to address, but was thinking I can start planning ahead / do some maintenance things.

I also already used some silicon based sealant on the door seals. I do this to prolong their life, hadn't thought that it may also stop some minor chatter as they dried with age.

The road noise is bearable but I can understand if it bothers some people. I knew going into Stinger ownership it wasn't going to be as quiet as my past few less performance oriented cars. With expectations already low, the Stinger has at least proven to be a fairly quiet cabin and during long trips having music at medium volume is more than enough to drown things out.
I bought my car in January 2020 in slightly cool weather and didn't notice any issues. I don't think I notice any ticking/rubbing until mid summer, whether from lack of miles or maybe the lack of expansion of all the materials without the heat. It seemed to calm down some in winter although I had applied silicone grease to the door seals in the fall. With weather warming a little bit, I feel like sounds are coming back.

Taffy

My car seems to creak from the sunroof and both sides of the car. It doesn’t really do it under normal driving conditions, it’s much more noticeable when driving down ‘gutters’, coming out of fuel stations etc or over large speed humps.
The car went in to Kia for a week for the sunroof to be fixed. It’s better but not 100%. It’s in again next week for the drivers side door seals to be replaced. This is all under warranty of course as it is apparently a known problem.
We will see what happens.
It’s a shame about this creaking as other than this, the car has been great over the three years I’ve had it. BTW, the steering wheel also makes a clicking noise when turning it, which is a little annoying.

G

G-741927

My car seems to creak from the sunroof and both sides of the car. It doesn’t really do it under normal driving conditions, it’s much more noticeable when driving down ‘gutters’, coming out of fuel stations etc or over large speed humps.
The car went in to Kia for a week for the sunroof to be fixed. It’s better but not 100%. It’s in again next week for the drivers side door seals to be replaced. This is all under warranty of course as it is apparently a known problem.
We will see what happens.
It’s a shame about this creaking as other than this, the car has been great over the three years I’ve had it. BTW, the steering wheel also makes a clicking noise when turning it, which is a little annoying.
I used to have that clicking but it ended up going away

runner1

Stinger Enthusiast
All brands creak now. So many different material with differing rates of expansion. I added washers to the sunroof and trunk as mentioned on here and it’s been relatively decent. To me this car like my 2020 Honda si (most fun car ever bar none) needs the hvac fan running and radio set low to cover up any noise. Very few cars are radio off windows up quiet on anything but fresh roads.

my Lincoln had a a pillar rattle and rear deck, my Ford Edge had a killer panoramic roof issue under 50 deg, my mustangs...well that would take a while. Both civics 2020 had micro fiber cloths stuffed all over gods green earth to kill rattles before they were somewhat stealthy.

PantheraMetal

nope, the black trim on the inside. Its right above the window on the door. I had to pull back the weather tripping to get to it.
Thanks my man, really appreciate you, seriously youre a life saver.

Butttt im still a bit confused. Ive pulled back the stripping thats on the ‘doorway’ before and ive seen theres a gap between the headliner and car body, is that the right spot? Or is it on the actual door?

I know im kinda asking a lot here but if you got pictures that would be perfect

TheBusch

Thanks my man, really appreciate you, seriously youre a life saver.

Butttt im still a bit confused. Ive pulled back the stripping thats on the ‘doorway’ before and ive seen theres a gap between the headliner and car body, is that the right spot? Or is it on the actual door?

I know im kinda asking a lot here but if you got pictures that would be perfect
no worries
1618226171581.png
its this plastic strip here that is giving me trouble (started again today). Shin Etsu helps for a little while but adding resistance to this door area is the only way I can think of eliminating it for good.

PantheraMetal

no worries
View attachment 57555
its this plastic strip here that is giving me trouble (started again today). Shin Etsu helps for a little while but adding resistance to this door area is the only way I can think of eliminating it for good.
Thanks for the pics, I actually went and gave it a closer look and realized, if you have the door closed, and you press up and down on the soft weather seal that makes contact with that trim, you can totally hear the squeaky noise. This noise only happens on the driver side though, probably from being opened/closed more often. The passenger side felt a lot smoother when pressing on the weather seal and didnt make much noise.

so i had some black felt tape lying around and applied it along the whole contact strip of hard plastic on the door (had to do some tape cutting so it didnt look totally janky), and now the sound is totally gone! I ran it on some uneven roads which used to trigger the noise without fail, and total silence from the seal.

thank you for saving me from this, its been actual months of me being bothered- taking it to the dealership - no solution- more searching - giving up completely- and then finally finding this post! Such a simple fix too. use black felt tape and its blends in very well with the door frame, you wouldnt notice it unless you looked at it.

OneIota

Sustaining Member
I've tried gummi pfledge, 3M silicone grease and dry window lube to the door seals and nothing has worked better but looked as funky as the felt gaffer tape I put over the plastic trim areas that contacted the seals. Now I'm not sure how to get off all the stickiness left behind by the silicone grease.

TheBusch

Thanks for the pics, I actually went and gave it a closer look and realized, if you have the door closed, and you press up and down on the soft weather seal that makes contact with that trim, you can totally hear the squeaky noise. This noise only happens on the driver side though, probably from being opened/closed more often. The passenger side felt a lot smoother when pressing on the weather seal and didnt make much noise.

so i had some black felt tape lying around and applied it along the whole contact strip of hard plastic on the door (had to do some tape cutting so it didnt look totally janky), and now the sound is totally gone! I ran it on some uneven roads which used to trigger the noise without fail, and total silence from the seal.

thank you for saving me from this, its been actual months of me being bothered- taking it to the dealership - no solution- more searching - giving up completely- and then finally finding this post! Such a simple fix too. use black felt tape and its blends in very well with the door frame, you wouldnt notice it unless you looked at it.
where exactly did you adhere the tape?