Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

HUD Shaking

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Callum, Jan 9, 2019.

Does your HUD Vibrate on rough pavement/potholes?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  1. Callum

Callum United States Active Member

Interesting, I'll look through KGIS and see what's what in there. Might be the position I have the step motor set in that makes it shake. I sit really slow in the car and the HUD is probably much higher than most.

There are a series of mirrors in the HUD system, above the actual projector. I am betting mine are loose. Service said the unit is really tight, not moving. I'm guessing I can pop off the trim panel and the top plate and see what might be shifting around.

2. Callum

HUD unit in it's glory...Looks like removing the trim plate doesn't remove the top glass unit. I'm not tearing into my dash, but going to make sure that glass lens isn't loose and shifting.

Attached Files:

3. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Aha! Thank you.

Then I would bet $1 that a MINOR adjustment of the HUD display height would remove the vibration. What I guess is happening is that there is a little slack in the gear drive and if you're not "seated" nicely on a gear tooth, it might be able to wobble a little.

4. Callum

Interesting thought, I will "bump" it down a bit and see if I can get the slack out of the gears. If that doesn't work, I can peg it all the way up or down and see if that helps

5. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States Stinger Enthusiast

To test, mine is at max height.

Drive through a significant construction zone back road...

Not an ounce of movement.

6. Callum

The is for confirming. I will move mine up tomorrow and test.

Thanks for everybody’s help!

7. eflyguy

This evening I made a point to not avoid a few known bad spots and also pay particular attention when I passed over railroad tracks near my house - no movement at all.

8. Callum

Well, don’t change the height lol. I think me messing with all the adjustments may of created this.

9. eflyguy

I actually adjusted mine the other day, after adjusting my seat, after realizing I was sitting with my left foot on the floor and not really using the whatever-pedal is there in the corner.. didn't seem to break anything.. :D

10. outdoormjd

outdoormjd United States New Member

Mine rattles quite a bit as well. I’m going to end up taking it to the dealer because I also have the tailgate rattle and it’s a lease.

11. Callum

Moved the HUD in every single position about 5 times. Up Down, Rotate, etc. Seems to have removed 90% of the vibration. I'm guessing the last time I adjusted that step motor I hit the one gear mesh that had a little extra slack.

12. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

Mine does over very rough pavement, and has in every car that I've owned that has had a HUD. It's definitely normal if the car vibrates enough since it has a non-gimbled motor that can adjust its direction.

Yup. The get onto 400 from Sidney Marcus or Lenox going North is also really bad.

13. brancky3

brancky3 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Yep, turns out I regret saying it wasn't normal lol. I've watched mine closely over rough pavement and it does vibrate ever so slightly. You guys ruined it for me :rofl::rofl:

14. Callum

Glad to hear yours does it in the same spot. Honk if you see me. I'm usually in the heard of cars heading southbound in the AM's lol

15. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

Luckily I'm going to the other way up towards Alpharetta, I'll give you a honk if I see you though. :p

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted