Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

How To install aftermarket DRLs

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by robz32, Jun 7, 2018.

1. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

@Paul @ K8 Stinger Store I dont think they will fit. The vent ports on the GT bumper look bigger and the vent itself is definitely smaller on the 2.0.

2. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

Paul @ K8 Stinger Store United States Stinger Enthusiast Authorized Vendor

3. DaJackson

DaJackson United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

Couldn’t you also change it to be drawing power from the DRLs instead of an always on power source?

4. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

Absolutely.

5. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

Finally version with diffuser! Now looks good. LED power is good (only can judge by photos yet), if it will be brighter it may overwhelm factory DRLs which is unnecessary imho. LEDs may have better visibility and not so white when OFF if they would use semi-transparent diffuser like here (Mazda 6's I have):
    [​IMG]
    But that maybe not possible together with turning lights (at least I not seen DRLs with turning lights with that kind of semi-transparent diffuser). Also, those DRLs above have aluminum heatsink on the other side of LEDs, do those for Stinger have it? Maybe not necessary as those vents will be ventilated by air anyway.

6. robz32

Agree 100%. To be honest I've had these on the Stinger for almost a month, and your observations @Bobr are the same I passed along. Don't quote me on this but there might be a version 2 in the works which will correct that but will only be a DRL no blinker/turn signal, which I am fine with.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

I’m fine with just DRL with the same brightness intensity as the factory headlamps. Also, you’ve shown that you only need to replace the middle LED section so maybe on future revisions, that’s all that’s offered which would bring down the cost.

8. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

9. Manchuz

Manchuz Canada Active Member

I personally think so. The car already has enough turn signals visible to the public. The new Camry’s with their DRL in the bottom part of the grille is eye catching to me so I’d think the Stinger placement down there would be eye catching as well, even with the existing DRL on the head lamps on.

I think people would take priority on having matching light intensity over less light with amber. These aren’t going to be proper fog lights anyways.

10. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

11. robz32

12. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast

I want the switchback myself.. have switchbacks on my mustang.. they are cool IMO... the headlights on this car are super bright already.

13. Paul @ K8 Stinger Store

• Like Like x 1
  14. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

I had the same ones on my Mazda 6.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

Hey @robz32 ... couple of questions on the install. My wires are gray, white and purple. So i presume my connections would be ...

..............DRL------------------------CAR
    gray (your black) gnd-----black/orange
    white (your white) pos----------red
    purple (your red) turn---------orange

Also, my circuit board came seperate from the DRLs. From your pics it looks like the wires in my pic below with the pink paper are the ones spliced to the DRLs ... yes??? Does it really matter which end of the circuit board is spliced to the headlights. Any other advice is greatly appreciated and thanks for your help. Hoping to install these in the next couple of days.
    20180629_020405.jpg
    20180629_012404.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  16. robz32

@Rango you are correct on your wire assignment.

The end with the round capacitor goes to the harness on your car the other end (with the square) goes to the DRL.

Let me know if you need additional information.

17. Rango

Thanks. Now the fun begins!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Legendaryolly

Legendaryolly Australia Newish Member

I think I have bought the same ones as you. I'm having a go at installing mine tomorrow.
    How did you go? Any photos on the red stinger?

19. Rango

Haven't installed them yet. Gonna install them when I remove the front bumper to install Tig's CAI.

20. Tobstertx3

Tobstertx3 United States Active Member Texas Stinger Swarm

Any update on the upgraded version?

Draft saved Draft deleted