kia stinger store

How to avoid blown spark plugs in your tuned Stinger

the only chip you should be considering is the jb4. I say that when I am against chip tuning, so you know I am serious. It goes like this: real tune - jb4 - everything else. as for the plugs, if you are not going to push it too much then get the desnos. I got the HKS, expensive but I want no issues.
I understand that the JB4 is the gold standard and I am not disputing that that at all. I am trying to understand what occurs for someome who rarely uses the mod. If this were a 1975 350 sb naturally aspirated and I bump carb, jets, shims, straight pipes, etc etc i have a reasonable understanding of what goes on. But the new KIAs have more sensors than a Mars rover. So I guess what I am trying to understand is:

If i go colder plugs i feel the research shows with my driving style that i will suffer carbon fouling due to (i presume) slow and/or unburned fuel because I will not be flying around in race mode even 2% of the time. Again, I don't mind buying the more expensive plugs or the more expensive JB4 if I know with reasonable confidence that it is the best idea for me. For someone who would majority of the time drive leisurely and very seldom in map1 for 10 seconds, what is the most advisable choice for plugs?

General_Vodka

Stinger Enthusiast
Moon
I understand that the JB4 is the gold standard and I am not disputing that that at all. I am trying to understand what occurs for someome who rarely uses the mod. If this were a 1975 350 sb naturally aspirated and I bump carb, jets, shims, straight pipes, etc etc i have a reasonable understanding of what goes on. But the new KIAs have more sensors than a Mars rover. So I guess what I am trying to understand is:

If i go colder plugs i feel the research shows with my driving style that i will suffer carbon fouling due to (i presume) slow and/or unburned fuel because I will not be flying around in race mode even 2% of the time. Again, I don't mind buying the more expensive plugs or the more expensive JB4 if I know with reasonable confidence that it is the best idea for me. For someone who would majority of the time drive leisurely and very seldom in map1 for 10 seconds, what is the most advisable choice for plugs?
if you don't care about price then get the HKS. They come with a 30 gap, which should work just fine. No issues reported with HKS.

rocket23

1000 Posts Club!
Ct.
the only chip you should be considering is the jb4. I say that when I am against chip tuning, so you know I am serious. It goes like this: real tune - jb4 - everything else. as for the plugs, if you are not going to push it too much then get the desnos. I got the HKS, expensive but I want no issues.
Didn't the op refer to HKS plugs as possible engine damage? Don't read into the post, I run a Uncle chip with HKS 45's.

Davidsg

Got car re-tuned with a better printout....not bad results considering all I have is a Bi-modal exhaust. (Not sure if that even increases performance at all) Stock gaps as not needed with a proper tune. ;)

Stock 14-15psi

202rwkw/576nm torque

Unichip and tune 16psi

276rwkw/687nm torque

So all up 111nm boost and 74rwkw (37%) View attachment 24636 View attachment 24637
Have you since had to replace or re gap plugs ?

monusa

Newish Member
i can only speak for the 2.0T W/JB4. i started out with HKS plugs gapped at .022. this was fine for MAP1 but at MAP2/3 and even running only 93 octane, i would get what i call the "turbo herky-jerks" when mashing the gas at around 2K rpms.......did some research and found an OEM-spec'd plug from Champion (iridium-#9409 - heat range is 8) at O'Reily's for $8 apiece. re-gapped them to .024 and even on MAP3, no more "turbo herky-jerk" just awesome power delivery. Even if they have to be replaced after 10K, at least I can change all 4 plugs for about the price of one darn HKS!!!!