HELP! Stinger GTS Drift Mode

KingLamoni

Mahwah, NJ
When I bought my car, they gave me a small pamphlet that says GTS Stinger DTS Performance Features. In it, it tells you exactly how to do drift mode. There are very subtle differences between activating D-AWD Drift Mode and activating launch control
Do you still have the pamphlet? Can you take some photos and post them?

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast
Google changed it to this: UUDDLRLRBA. And it is meaningless to me. I see that is a gaming reference. And I have played almost NO computer/video games during my life.

Led me to this: :D
View attachment 30891

Poor Merlin.. While I never played those games that much (I'm too old :), it's generally a reference to enabling some kind of cheat mode or secret power moves in various video games. U = up, D = down, L = left, R = right, A = button A, B = button B. Follow the sequence, and you activate some kind of secret mode or special power move, etc...

Edit: which seems quite apt, since GTS people are also wondering "how do I get into the secret drift mode", etc..

Oryan

Stinger Enthusiast
Hampton Roads, VA
How to activate drift mode? Get a Jb4, get WMI, run map 8 and chuck it at a corner.

Looking to cover or replace the KIA emblems on your Stinger? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!
The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Oops, it looks like you posted the same two pages twice. Try again? It looks like there's more.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Nope I just posted both pages twice but all the info is there for both launch control and drift.
There are very subtle differences between activating D-AWD Drift Mode and activating launch control
What differences? I'm not seeing it.

Jimmer

Stinger Enthusiast
Northern Utah
What differences? I'm not seeing it.
Launch control the brake is involved. So initially it's the same proceds as setting up the D-AWD drift, then a few other things activates launch control. And that makes sense since you wouldn't launch control on all the time but you can certainly have it in D-AWD drift mode all the time.

The best place to buy Kia Stinger modifications is at KDM Warehouse dot com! The official store of Kia Stinger dot com...

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Launch control the brake is involved.
Well, sure. You can't very well swing your butt around smoking your tires if you have the brake down!? :laugh: But engaging LC or Drift Mode is exactly the same: Sport and turn off TSC (and make sure auto hold and the parking brake are OFF).

KingLamoni

Mahwah, NJ
Well, sure. You can't very well swing your butt around smoking your tires if you have the brake down!? :laugh: But engaging LC or Drift Mode is exactly the same: Sport and turn off TSC (and make sure auto hold and the parking brake are OFF).
Another of the subtle differences is in Launch Mode it is in Drive. Drift mode you either put the shifter in manual or just hit the paddle shifters. The car will stay in the gear that is selected until you manually change it or switch back into automatic mode. If you didn't move the shifter into manual, you can hold the upshift paddle shifter and hold it for a few seconds and it will go back into Drive.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Another of the subtle differences is in Launch Mode it is in Drive. Drift mode you either put the shifter in manual or just hit the paddle shifters. The car will stay in the gear that is selected until you manually change it or switch back into automatic mode. If you didn't move the shifter into manual, you can hold the upshift paddle shifter and hold it for a few seconds and it will go back into Drive.
Ah, but you can do LC from manual gate. If you don't upshift fast enough, the LC takes over the instant you bounce off the red line and it upshifts for you. "D" is not required; but it probably works better that way; or not, if what I described just defaults to "D".

KingLamoni

Mahwah, NJ
Ah, but you can do LC from manual gate. If you don't upshift fast enough, the LC takes over the instant you bounce off the red line and it upshifts for you. "D" is not required; but it probably works better that way; or not, if what I described just defaults to "D".

KingLamoni

Mahwah, NJ
I was in Drift mode earlier today and just nailed the accelerator and hit redline twice and it didn't bounce into Drive or shift. I hit it between the top of 2nd and 3rd gears and it changed when I up shifted. I didn't do launch mode for the takeoff, meaning I didn't hold the break till it said Launch mode ready.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
I was in Drift mode earlier today and just nailed the accelerator and hit redline twice and it didn't bounce into Drive or shift. I hit it between the top of 2nd and 3rd gears and it changed when I up shifted. I didn't do launch mode for the takeoff, meaning I didn't hold the break till it said Launch mode ready.
Interesting. I have taken off (not in LC) and pegged the kickdown switch; in manual gate, intending to shift for myself ( :laugh: ), only to have the trans upshift. Last year I botched LC by forgetting I was still in manual gate: and the trans upshifted at red line. But if you are in Drift Mode and punch it, probably the logic will keep the car in the gear you're in without upshifting: the whole intent being to spin the tires, and upshifting without D-AWD will ruin that.

turboAWD

1000 Posts Club!
West Coast

In my '19 GT1 I find that if I go into launch mode (i.e. disable both things), even in "D", it turns off auto-shift, if I used the paddles to get into 1 for launch. I.e. even in D mode, with both things disabled, if I use the paddles at all, it will hit the red-line. If I stay in D, it will auto-shift. With NO disabling, I can start in 1 and it will auto-shift. At least, I'm 80% sure of this. That's almost TOO MUCH manual control :)