kia stinger store

Hard downshift transmission

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
If the values used are printed on the case, wouldn't we be having a ton of examples of this going on?

SafetyPilotCal

If the overwhelming majority are correct, then no. If only a few are incorrect then you'd have what you're having now, only a handful of people reporting it.

Boilermaker

This is normal. It's basically downshifting to assist with braking and when you want to accelerate the transmission will be on the right gear so response is better.

I guess it would take some getting used to if your coming from old coasting autos.
Reasonable logic and I wish I could agree. If anything, poorly timed engine braking is just making me slower. Ideally, comfort mode would be well suited for the days I’m looking for an “old coasting auto” and then kick it into Sport when I want to push it.
Monday morning stop and go traffic versus a Friday afternoon sprint on the freeway... but I guess I’m being too picky.

GTdsz

An auto transmission is a whole lot of hydraulic aka transmission fluid under pressure. I replaced mine with 3 drain and swaps to amsoil SS atf fluid. I am willing to bet there Is nothing wrong with the tranny but It could be better. Mine is smooth as butter.

5tinger

Reasonable logic and I wish I could agree. If anything, poorly timed engine braking is just making me slower. Ideally, comfort mode would be well suited for the days I’m looking for an “old coasting auto” and then kick it into Sport when I want to push it.
Monday morning stop and go traffic versus a Friday afternoon sprint on the freeway... but I guess I’m being too picky.
In comfort it does downshift when slowing down. However it's a fairly smooth action.

You can enable coasting mode which will engage when in eco mode and there will be no downshift when coasting to a stop.

t2flair

Newish Member
For those of you who went through the adaptives reset, did the dealer give you any initial pushback that they couldn’t perform this since the car was still under warranty?

narsnail

London, ON
For those of you who went through the adaptives reset, did the dealer give you any initial pushback that they couldn’t perform this since the car was still under warranty?
Nope, it's free under warranty. Just ask for it, pretty sure they can charge for it under warranty and be paid. Everyone wins, unless they're idiots which is possible.

SafetyPilotCal

Slight update. For shits and giggles I tried the in-car adaptive shift reset as described in KGIS. After putting 25-30 miles on the car tonight including frequent stops, the shifts did indeed appear to reset back to how it was when I picked the car up from the dealer. It is no longer slamming into lower gears. I did BOTH the "static relearn" and the "driving relearn" as described in the attached PDF.

Attachments

• KGIS Adaptive Reset In-Car.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 43

t2flair

Newish Member
Slight update. For shits and giggles I tried the in-car adaptive shift reset as described in KGIS. After putting 25-30 miles on the car tonight including frequent stops, the shifts did indeed appear to reset back to how it was when I picked the car up from the dealer. It is no longer slamming into lower gears. I did BOTH the "static relearn" and the "driving relearn" as described in the attached PDF.
How many times did you go through the static relearn? Just once?

SafetyPilotCal

The KGIS document suggested "at least 5", so I did 6.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
The KGIS document suggested "at least 5", so I did 6.
Is this all that the service guys do when you take the Stinger in for "harsh shifts" (shift shock)? No computer juju? just hold each shifter position for three seconds (as shown), go through the series at least five times, then take the car out and let it move up through all eight gears and then downshift through all eight gears? (only do the upshift/downshift once?)

SafetyPilotCal

Nope, they reset it via the actual KGIS tool, there's an option for it in there. I don't have the documentation in front of me to get the exact name.

Stinger22

Newish Member
California

So I have been experiencing the harder downshifts for the last couple weeks (approx 7000 miles on the car). I just did the reset @SafetyPilotCal posted, and it worked. Will have to wait and see if it returns. Thanks for the info!

I am The Stig

Dearborn MI
So I noticed my 2018 GT1 was downshifting pretty hard, cruised the forums and saw the general consensus was to have the dealer Reset/replace the transmission control module. After a week of them diagnosing it they decided to put in a brand new transmission Anything have anything like this happen? Dealer even said they’ve never had to replace a stingers transmission but thats what they decided was the solve all.
Dude I have a 21 GT AWD and just had my car towed to the dealership. Out of nowhere it wasn’t shifting properly, then it would just go into neutral run high RPM then slam into gear really hard. They think it could be a shortage of trans fluid straight from the factory but they have to pull the transmission out to find out more. I only have 3400k mi on my car. Crappy part is they found another issue they think related to the JB4 tuner separate issue from trans so I have to drive there tomorrow and remove it before they will work any further on it. Hopefully tomorrow I will know more about the trans and I can update you. They will Be checking for damage and replacing it if there is. They also said this is unheard of

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
Nope, they reset it via the actual KGIS tool, there's an option for it in there. I don't have the documentation in front of me to get the exact name.
So, there is an actual tool they hook up to the car and then go through these two shifting routines? If going through the routines works, why is a "tool" necessary?

SafetyPilotCal

They also said this is unheard of
Kia service departments are notorious for many "unheard of" problems. Mine suggested that they had never heard of sunroof/roof rattles in the Stinger. Uh-huh.

So, there is an actual tool they hook up to the car and then go through these two shifting routines? If going through the routines works, why is a "tool" necessary?
The tool clears the adaptive shift learning on-demand, no driving necessary.

General_Vodka

1000 Posts Club!
Moon
I almost wonder if a transmission additive might soften some shifts. I used it and I think my shifts should be a bit harsher lol. Hard a rough slow down when letting go off the throttle but that went away I guess.

I am The Stig

Dearborn MI
Kia service departments are notorious for many "unheard of" problems. Mine suggested that they had never heard of sunroof/roof rattles in the Stinger. Uh-huh.

The tool clears the adaptive shift learning on-demand, no driving necessary.
They really do. I had a rattle from I think my hatch they said same thing. Since it’s a newer car maybe all these issues are new to them lol

Ohnosteveo

Newish Member
Dude I have a 21 GT AWD and just had my car towed to the dealership. Out of nowhere it wasn’t shifting properly, then it would just go into neutral run high RPM then slam into gear really hard. They think it could be a shortage of trans fluid straight from the factory but they have to pull the transmission out to find out more. I only have 3400k mi on my car. Crappy part is they found another issue they think related to the JB4 tuner separate issue from trans so I have to drive there tomorrow and remove it before they will work any further on it. Hopefully tomorrow I will know more about the trans and I can update you. They will Be checking for damage and replacing it if there is. They also said this is unheard of
My dealer said this was the first transmission they ever had to replace on a stinger. They did the “extensive” road test and said it even shifted hard when accelerating.
So all in all I was cool with getting a new transmission but the messed up my rocker panels and in the process of putting in the fuse kit recall they got some sort Of solder of heat sink on my bumper which melted into it so they even replaced my bumper. On top of the coolant leak

I am The Stig

Dearborn MI
My dealer said this was the first transmission they ever had to replace on a stinger. They did the “extensive” road test and said it even shifted hard when accelerating.
So all in all I was cool with getting a new transmission but the messed up my rocker panels and in the process of putting in the fuse kit recall they got some sort Of solder of heat sink on my bumper which melted into it so they even replaced my bumper. On top of the coolant leak
Damn man. That’s a whole heap of shit right there. I’m supposed to be getting the same recall fixed too. Hopefully they don’t mess that up too. As much as I search for transmission issues there really isn’t anything out there. Which is good news so I guess we’re just the unlucky ones that got that one car out of thousands that’ something wasn’t right