kia stinger store

Fusion Sport

MisterMac

1000 Posts Club!
El Paso, TX
It will be nowhere near the GT which has 460HP. It's barely stronger than the motor that's in it now which is 310HP turbo. You could get the 3.31's in it now, so they added 20HP and put an available 3.55 gear for it.... In Mustang land, this isn't really big news as much as the soon to be 4 door and AWD versions are.

4.5 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at.

Regs120

It will be nowhere near the GT which has 460HP. It's barely stronger than the motor that's in it now which is 310HP turbo. You could get the 3.31's in it now, so they added 20HP and put an available 3.55 gear for it.... In Mustang land, this isn't really big news as much as the soon to be 4 door and AWD versions are.

The peak numbers are small, but the power curve shifted up and the torque curve is flatter through the RPM band. The Upper RPMS won't fall off a cliff like the used too, but still no where as strong as the V8. Even with that - I would be reluctant to buy a RWD Ford RS but for someone who likes the looks of a mustang and wants to mod it, it might be feasible. The stronger block with upgraded pistons and larger turbo might be a tuners dream.

G

G-86530

Had a run in with a modified (at least exhaust and wheels) one last night. Wasn't much of a competition. First time was getting on the highway and then second was getting on a connecting highway. Both times I let him go first and get the jump, and both times I immediately took away his advantage and started the gap.

Everyone is comparing the fs as of its in the same class as the stinger. Thats not right. If youre going to compare classes you should be comparing the stinger to the taurus sho. Those are the same class.

Ucinn

1000 Posts Club!
Everyone is comparing the fs as of its in the same class as the stinger. Thats not right. If youre going to compare classes you should be comparing the stinger to the taurus sho. Those are the same class.
He started it, had to honor our rep ;)

Patmir

Friend here from the Fusion Sport crowd. :)

According to C&D, the FS (AWD) is 1/2 second slower than the Stinger GT (AWD):

Fusion Sport AWD
0-60 mph: 5.1 sec
¼-mile: 13.7 sec @ 101 mph
Weight: 4127 lbs

Stinger GT AWD
0-60 mph: 4.6 sec
¼-mile: 13.2 sec @ 108 mph
Weight: 4157 lbs

Got my FS last year as a new '17 leftover, paid $27k US. Two guys on our forum just purchased new '18 leftovers, paid $24k US. Incidentally, no one is really "talking smack" about the Stinger GT on our forum. As a matter of fact, we've been having a pretty healthy debate on the topic. So ...

Just for fun I had to drive a Stinger GT AWD to see what all the commotion was about. My thoughts:
  • GT handles flatter in the corners
  • GT's extra power is definitely there, but not day/night difference
  • GT has great styling
  • GT's interior is upscale by comparison
  • GT's optional sound system was ok compared to "base" FS 9 speaker system (req adjusting?)
  • Remote start (a must for cold climate dwellers) is a $500 option, standard on the FS
  • No base GT's available within 50 miles of my area, all are 48-52k 2018/2019 GT1's/GT2's
All in all, the GT is a very adept/very capable car. But 24-27k for a new FS leftover makes it enticing.

Peace Out.
Good post! Cheers

vlngnr

Bought a 2018 fusion sport for 23k with 7100 miles on it 10 months ago. Who cares about the Kia for that price. It's sleeper not a Stinger.

DTD

Friend here from the Fusion Sport crowd. :)

According to C&D, the FS (AWD) is 1/2 second slower than the Stinger GT (AWD):

Fusion Sport AWD
0-60 mph: 5.1 sec
¼-mile: 13.7 sec @ 101 mph
Weight: 4127 lbs

Stinger GT AWD
0-60 mph: 4.6 sec
¼-mile: 13.2 sec @ 108 mph
Weight: 4157 lbs

Got my FS last year as a new '17 leftover, paid $27k US. Two guys on our forum just purchased new '18 leftovers, paid $24k US. Incidentally, no one is really "talking smack" about the Stinger GT on our forum. As a matter of fact, we've been having a pretty healthy debate on the topic. So ...

Just for fun I had to drive a Stinger GT AWD to see what all the commotion was about. My thoughts:
  • GT handles flatter in the corners
  • GT's extra power is definitely there, but not day/night difference
  • GT has great styling
  • GT's interior is upscale by comparison
  • GT's optional sound system was ok compared to "base" FS 9 speaker system (req adjusting?)
  • Remote start (a must for cold climate dwellers) is a $500 option, standard on the FS
  • No base GT's available within 50 miles of my area, all are 48-52k 2018/2019 GT1's/GT2's
All in all, the GT is a very adept/very capable car. But 24-27k for a new FS leftover makes it enticing.

Peace Out.
I agree that stock to stock the Stinger GT AWD is faster than the Fusion Sport but the 0-60 time difference is really not a true indicator. In order to get that 4.6 in the Stinger you need to use launch control as did C&D. I was watching a video with a guy in his Stinger do 0-60 runs. He could not break 5.0 so finally used launch control and he ran a 4.7. Launch control is not always very practical on the streets because you can't always time it to the lights. I believe in the 1/4 mile stock to stock the Stinger GT AWD is definitely faster. I have heard some say the Stinger engine is stronger for tuning but the Stinger engine is aluminum block which I think is not as strong as the cast iron block in the Fusion Sport. Can't be sure but I think it is.

monusa

Straight line acceleration from a dead stop is probably the least important performance consideration.

"So you got the 2.0 4 cyl Stinger then, right?"..............

Ok, "V6_TT FUSPORT".....now you done it.....yep, i do have the 2.0T and would L-0-V-E to see your Fusion "sport,SPAT" whatever you call it......you would have to eat that comment....but i digress.....Stinger is the better car...sorry

Jayphil

There seem to be too much emotion in this discussion.
My personal not Bias take (current BMW 535i owner shopping for future car and not a current KIA Stinger nor Fusion Sport owner)

The Fusion Sport competitor from KIA is the new K5 GT not the Stinger. Granted KIA decided not to sell the K5 GT in AWD but this much closer comparison to the Fusion. Fusion Sport is a regular non premium sedan / non sport sedan within its sportiest trim which compete with K5, Accord, Camry etc. in their sportiest trim. For me the Fusion is low ranked in that category for most criteria (because dated from 2013...) but it happen to be good in straight line performance criteria and reasonable $ if that what matter the most for specific individual.

On the other hand the KIA Stinger is KIA attempt to enter the Premium Sport Sedan (RWD based, M340i, C43, S4/S5) category which for me they succeeded to reach 90% of the competition (technology, driving dynamic, efficiency, quality of interior etc.) while costing 75% of the comparable German making it a very good choice for people that are ok with that 90% or do not want (or cannot afford) to spend German money (and later German repair costs)

My short conclusion is that the Fusion Sport will never be in my short list and is very different vs the Stinger but I can appreciate the fact that they have a good straight line performance for the $ so they will appeal to some buyers. Also, I am sure that a tuned Fusion Sport can outperform (on a drag strip) a stock or less modified Stinger.

Last edited:

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
There seem to be too much emotion in this discussion.
My personal not Bias take (current BMW 535i owner shopping for future car and not a current KIA Stinger nor Fusion Sport owner)

The Fusion Sport competitor from KIA is the new K5 GT not the Stinger. Granted KIA decided not to sell the K5 GT in AWD but this much closer comparison to the Fusion. Fusion Sport is a regular non premium sedan / non sport sedan within its sportiest trim which compete with K5, Accord, Camry etc. in their sportiest trim. For me the Fusion is low ranked in that category for most criteria (because dated from 2013...) but it happen to be good in straight line performance criteria and reasonable $ if that what matter the most for specific individual.

On the other hand the KIA Stinger is KIA attempt to enter the Premium Sport Sedan (RWD based, M340i, C43, S4/S5) category which for me they succeeded to reach 90% of the competition (technology, driving dynamic, efficiency, quality of interior etc.) while costing 75% of the comparable German making it a very good choice for people that are ok with that 90% or do not want (or cannot afford) to spend German money (and later German repair costs)

My short conclusion is that the Fusion Sport will never be in my short list and is very different vs the Stinger but I can appreciate the fact that they have a good straight line performance for the $ so they will appeal to some buyers. Also, I am sure that a tuned Fusion Sport can outperform (on a drag strip) a stock or less modified Stinger.
And it's a nice looking car, too. :)