Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Door Frame Ticking / Squeaking Elimination

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger How To's and Do It Yourself' started by corradoMR2, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

You know that saying "let sleeping dogs lie"?

How many Stinger Forum members have complained about ALL noises? It's not as easy to quantify as the "paint quality/chips" thread and poll which has been up for over a year now. The responses on that thread alone outnumber ALL noises posts. How do I know that? I deduce by the amount of traffic these "noises" threads get. The paint quality/chips poll has attracted less than 5% of the forum's membership. Is it because less than 5% have paint quality issues? Or is it because most Stinger drivers don't notice their paint quality? Are most owners just not interested in what doesn't concern them? All of the above? Probably most humans don't give a crap if it isn't their problem too.

The point is this: if hardly anybody has bothered to vote "yay or nay" in a poll, that's a pretty good indicator that there isn't a problem for them. The afflicted few make all the noise. In this case, literally they make noise about noises. Their problems are shared.

I come here (and to the paint discussion) not because I share the same problems but because I care about them.

So, of course not: I don't believe the problems don't exist. I assert that I have very likely read more of these posts more times than any other given forum member. There is no way that I could believe you're all up in the night hearing things and seeing things that aren't there.

Incidence is my pet agenda: how common are these flaws in our cars? And the evidence is that something like 95% of Stingers do not have extraneous noises bothering their drivers. Same with any other flaw or manufacturing fubar.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Revvdmedia

Revvdmedia Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Why I do always buy from the "bad" 5%? Who wants to trade me? lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. MerlintheMad

Isn't it a matter of degree? No car is perfect, even my "perfect" Stinger isn't. It's just perfectly satisfying to me, which isn't the same thing at all.

4. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

5. Revvdmedia

Doesn't obsession for perfection drive improvement? ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

7. MerlintheMad

True. But I'm not the one trying to make the money. I'm the "choir". Or am I? My response to the Stinger hardly gives the designers much to go on vis-à-vis improvements. "I am perfectly happy", does not drive improvement! Heh. :p

8. Revvdmedia

I am actually actively trying to scale back my expectations on cars based on a few years of experience with new ones and my ridiculous standards. There are a couple things that still bug me about mine and I will get around to having the dealer fix, but otherwise I'm sure I could have a worse vehicle.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

You are wise then, hell hath no fury like the Forums Tolstoy with an avalanche of words:laugh::rofl:.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Last Lemming Alive

Last Lemming Alive United States Newish Member

Obviously the car has some issues - TSB’s don’t get issued otherwise. The trunk hatch for instance. And all cars have flaws, ours just reveals itself more readily - like a Chinese water torture right next to your ear - tick - tick - tick.

11. Bigbikes

Bigbikes Australia Member

Having worked in a panel shop for 28yrs you soon see how cars are put together..Brand new Alfa's rusting on way over on boat :eek:
    gear stick connected buy cables that stretched..We did mainly Benz's, Volvo's..BMW's,,,even they had issues...most things can be fixed easily, I'd be more worried about mechanicals not trim bits..:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. leecm

leecm United States Active Member

Thus far it appears that the fix that I applied to my drivers door has resolved my ticking issue. Some other people may benefit from this, so I'll post pictures. I noticed that the rubber seal that you can touch from inside the car while the door is closed doesn't get compressed snugly by the door. When I would poke it with my finger I was able to replicate what sounded like the squeak/ticking noise that I was constantly hearing when I would drive.

I compared the equivalent rubber seal in my fiance's '09 Infiniti FX35 and not only was the rubber compressed much more snugly by the door (which keeps it from wiggling and creaking), the plastic trim piece that the rubber seal rests against in the Infiniti had a texture that seems less conducive to causing rubber to squeak. All of these findings made me feel pretty confident that my issue could be solved by installing felt trim on the plastic part that rubs against the rubber seal.

Rain hasn't been an issue. The outside seal that contacts the actual painted door frame protects against rain. Even the rain that may fall on the felt trim when the door is open doesn't seem to cause any issues. The only thing I can think of that may be negatively impacted by the felt trim pieces would be an increase in outside noise in the cabin since technically I'm breaking one of the noise barriers. With that said, I don't notice a difference.

BTW, I kind of did this late at night so the curve can be improved. I will make it prettier sometime soon. Aside from the curved part near the top of the B pillar, it looks like it could be factory trim.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  13. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Great job , lets hope this is a fix !! great effort !

Draft saved Draft deleted