Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Discussion of Stinger paint quality (Was - Paint Chip Issue)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Exterior Discussion' started by Chapindad, Mar 23, 2018.

Paint Chip Poll - Have you experienced unwarranted paint chipping with your Stinger

1. Yes - Yellow

32 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Yes - Blue

32 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Yes - Deep Chroma Blue

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  4. Yes - Silky Silver

4 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Yes - Ceramic Silver

16 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. Yes - Black

30 vote(s)
    11.8%
  7. Yes - Panthera Metal

6 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Yes - White

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Yes - Red

24 vote(s)
    9.4%
  10. No - Without permanent protective coating

74 vote(s)
    29.0%
  11. No - With permanent protective coating

24 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. 17th_Letter

17th_Letter United States Active Member

We should hook up for lunch off of willards so i can show you what the chips look like. The Fairfax dealership service manager and team know about the issues with the paint.

2. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

Willard's BBQ. Some YUMMY food there.

3. StingerGT68

StingerGT68 Stinger Enthusiast

You're seeing bubbling?? Would you mind sharing some photos of that? That's REALLY bad. I know some yellow Stingers have seen that but not blue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rufus

Rufus United States 1000 Posts Club!

Oh, that breaks my heart!!! I will still be keeping an eye on the panels aft of my clear bra. Oh, man, I hope they figure this out soon!

5. scharn

scharn United States Active Member

So i decided to take a closer look at mine today and found this, basically exactly where many of you have spotted this issue... Kinda bummed as I was really considering buying the car; and now I just don't think I should do it. I'm on car detailing forums as its a hobby of mine, and people there knew about this issue... how long before this gets a jalopnik article on it, then the resale value on these "early ones have the paint issues" i could just hear people saying.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Active Member

Damn. I need to take a closer look at mine.

I can tell you that removing two badges from the front bumper showed me how awful the paint is on that type of surface. I used fishing line and took my time. Both removals resulted in pieces of paint sluffing off. Two areas each about half an inch down to a quarter inch in diameter. Definitely a prep issue with these cars. My build date is 1/2018 in panthera metal for the record.

7. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

I have them too and posted the same picture but in red. Leave them. They’re there to protect from rock impacts from the vent on the front fender. Some have said the actual impact zone is a little higher than these. They are essentially like a clear bra mini.

8. Joseph Spiegel

1EC338E4-1699-4540-AD9F-D93EDC8C4601.jpeg
    At this point, I’ve covered the wound in touch up paint I bought, even though it was promised to me. Yesterday the hood was Xpel Clear Bra covered. So the wound is still there but covered. I’ll always see it. :-(

I have no other issues and everyone tried to prove it was a wiper issue. Maybe if you can figure exactly where the hood, in a raised position had to be and the exact reason someone would then force the wiper arm into said hood at the proper velocity to do that weird damage. I still say paint failure and yup as I said earlier 1/18 build.

If Kia steps up on these wounds they’ll have to replace the bra too. And next week it getting a ceramic coat, the whole car.

I never thought that on delivery I had to run my soft gloved hands over the entire car. Usually it’s a long process and I’m tired and want to go home. They got ya, then. Also, I knew about no raising the wiper arms on this car, from this forum.

ETA
    I’m adding another picture I took with hopefully a better angle on the hood/bonnet wound. The paper towel is before touching it up. Nothing dripped.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  9. Never thought

Never thought United States Stinger Enthusiast

Same exact issue with me. But it isn’t covered by the ppf I have which made/makes me think it was damaged.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joseph Spiegel

I don’t want to eat my self up on this. If the chipping became chronic, like yellow/blue I’d join the class action, if need be.

11. Luminary

Luminary United States Active Member Staff Member Moderator Sustaining Member +

Yup, will do once I get My Babe back from the dealership. Scott in the Service Dept said he will get some good pics of the issues and pass it on to KMA (Kia Motors America). So my paint issue story is just starting.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Bobr

Bobr Unspecified Country - Europe Active Member

Yesterday I wrote an email to my dealer, received answer today, usual BS: "received no notices about stop sale.. there are a lot of orders for Blue and Yellow that's why they not available for order on a website.. your car is in production but not yet painted... no returns or claims about that problem... everybody happy". Btw, yet another Russian owner appeared, with black color and same issue.

13. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Don't take those protective strips off, they're meant to be there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. KiaofMuncie

KiaofMuncie United States Kia Dealership Stinger Dealer

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. MattRain

MattRain United States Member

Well, no good update right now...

• Still waiting to hear from the first dealership I took my car to (Different from the one i purchased it at (MUCH closer)).. Called the premium KIA Motors Americas line, and they haven't received any of the pictures the dealership took... of course.. The dealership wont return my calls.
    • Took my car in for its 6000 mile this morning to the dealership I bought it from, farther away from home/work, talked to them about it, and they are just saying its all rock chips.
    • Ya, NO, 36 different spots in a month... 12/17 build. 36 spots in one month must mean I've trailed rocktrucks for the first 5000 miles..

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. KiaofMuncie

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MattRain

MattRain United States Member

Why can't you be here in AZ Jason! Then I wouldn't have to deal with the usual dealer BS. lol

(Yes... some are from rocks... but no not 36)

18. KiaofMuncie

19. Joseph Spiegel

Hi Jason,

If you can say. What is the protocol at your dealership if a Stinger customer, yours or other, comes in with paint issues. Is there a practice in place? Has Kia corporate given official instructions? If so are other dealers merely ignoring them?

20. jondyer

jondyer United States Active Member

Stinger Chip.jpg
    Hey guys I am (kinda) new here and noticed chips on my yellow stinger as well. Where can I find information about the stop-sale or any other goodness? I will continue to read through the thread to see if my question is answered here but the yellow stop sale convo grabbed my attention.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted