kia stinger store

Curious ... who here uses 87 octane Regular gas in your 3.3t?

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
don't mistake higher octane for Top Tier(R). Sam's Club is not Top Tier(R) gasoline.

Yes you are correct by saying Sams Club is not equivalent to let’s say Shell. What I should have said is that the highest octane fuel that you can get in Colorado is 89, where mostly other places is set at 91.

Travis Wills

Stinger Enthusiast
Yes you are correct by saying Sams Club is not equivalent to let’s say Shell. What I should have said is that the highest octane fuel that you can get in Colorado is 89, where mostly other places is set at 91.
Is that all of Colorado or just your particular area of Colorado? Altitude and temperature affect the Octane required so it makes sense that areas at high elevation wouldn’t require higher Octane gas.

Glen1023

Aurora, CO
In the Denver Metro are the octane ratings are all 85, 87 and 91. I don’t travel to the east side of the state and rarely the west side, but according to Google all of Colorado has the same octane of fuel.
“Because the air is less dense, less air flows to your car's engine. This translates to a slightly richer air-fuel ratio, and deters engine knock. For that reason, you'll find that regular gas carries an 85 octane rating here in Denver and throughout Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and Montana.”

It's funny this popped up, because me, in my G70. I just calculated I would save almost $800/year using 87 over 93. That would be >5k in savings for life of my ownership. That is considerable. That is 2 semesters of my share of my daughter's college tuition, and after driving the hell out of this thing over 6 months, I've concluded it's just not that fast, and 87 vs 93 performance diff will be negligible, and not worth caring about.

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
It's funny this popped up, because me, in my G70. I just calculated I would save almost $800/year using 87 over 93. That would be >5k in savings for life of my ownership. That is considerable. That is 2 semesters of my share of my daughter's college tuition, and after driving the hell out of this thing over 6 months, I've concluded it's just not that fast, and 87 vs 93 performance diff will be negligible, and not worth caring about.
For me that would be like 100 more visits to the strip club with that money, so I already have started putting 87 on my stinger.

Mike_TX

Stinger Enthusiast
North Texas
Which gas to use always makes for a spirited discussion. I'll just report that I've used nothing but 87 octane in my 3.3 in my car's 5,000 miles. Per the car's computer, I consistently get 21 mpg in mixed driving (and that's with very little freeway driving - probably about 10% of my miles). Don't know yet about highway mileage, since I haven't had a road trip in it yet.

Before we debate whether the car's computer is accurate, just note that my previous 2.0T Stinger got identical mileage on its computer! So I'm comparing apples and apples. I was ready to accept worse mileage in my GT2, but to my surprise, it's the same as I got in the 4 cylinder car. And I have plenty of power on tap. So I'll just keep the extra money in my pocket ... over $100 saved in just 5,000 miles.

GenesisG70

1000 Posts Club!
Orlando, Florida
Which gas to use always makes for a spirited discussion. I'll just report that I've used nothing but 87 octane in my 3.3 in my car's 5,000 miles. Per the car's computer, I consistently get 21 mpg in mixed driving (and that's with very little freeway driving - probably about 10% of my miles). Don't know yet about highway mileage, since I haven't had a road trip in it yet.

Before we debate whether the car's computer is accurate, just note that my previous 2.0T Stinger got identical mileage on its computer! So I'm comparing apples and apples. I was ready to accept worse mileage in my GT2, but to my surprise, it's the same as I got in the 4 cylinder car. And I have plenty of power on tap. So I'll just keep the extra money in my pocket ... over $100 saved in just 5,000 miles.
Now you have 100 USD to spend in strip clubs.

Glen1023

Aurora, CO

Well here in Colorado the Regular Grade Fuels Octane sits at 85 due to our elevation.
I have been putting into my car since I leased it in 2/20 Super Unleaded at Sams’s Club, but I think I’ll switch over to Regular Unleaded at Shell on my next fill up.

Oryan

Hampton Roads, VA
Map 2 makes the octane decision pretty simple for me.

That being said, I don't think there would be anything objectively wrong with running 87. Car would like 93, and you're very likely not getting rated power out of 87 octane, but I don't see any reason to think 87 octane is actually damaging anything.