Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Check Engine Light goes on and off. Weird exhaust crackle/pop sound when WOT.

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Angel, May 23, 2019.

1. Angel

Angel United States 1000 Posts Club!

I am hoping there is no damage to the engine. The car seems fine now, only time will tell.

2. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

Angel im thinkin it has something to do with the way you had map 8 set up....did you purge your meth line before you installed the line into the pushlok on the charge tube for the final time? And maybe some values need changing in map 8 ? Remove the iat wire for now maybe? :) Wash

3. Angel

yes I purged it.

Values were per the install instructions. Flow 90, Boost additive 50, wmi psi 9.

I didn't have the IAT wire installed or enabled.

4. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

Angel sounds to me you found the problem.....good going ! ... Wash

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Angel

I am hoping its just the bad plugs.....The only way for me to know if the coil pack are bad is if I still get a misfire with the new plugs. So far so goo I only changed the plug on cylinder 2 and 6 with oem in the meantime while the plugs I ordered get here.

6. Angel

So update on my car. Good news my coil packs are good. Had 2 bad spar plugs and I been fine with out misfires on the oem plugs.

Waiting on new plugs and then will push car to make sure its all good.

7. Mikia

Mikia United States Member

Any update?

8. turboAWD

turboAWD United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

I think he's getting rid of his Stinger..

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Mack-VA

Mack-VA United States Member

Hello All, so I'm having the same issues. I have a stock GT1. Back in Nov I had the Stinger at the dealer for the same exact issues (start stepping on it and the engine misfires and sputters - check engine light comes on - very similar to the videos @Angel posted). Took it to the dealer and received code P0303 and they replaced Ignition Coil #3. (They also talked me into getting the GDI Fuel system maintenance as they claimed i could be using low grade gasoline (which I don't, I only use Premium -Costco fuel).

Fast-forward to last week and the same exact issues are popping up again. So in just two months the issue is back. I first noticed in Nov with about 26k mileage and I now have 31k miles on the vehicle. I'm dropping the car off this weekend to have it checked.

Any idea why this keeps happening? I don't drag race, 95% of miles are open highway. I barely switch between drive modes (just sport to zip past people everyone once in a while).

10. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

its just the shitty oem plugs and coils. Im still waiting for someone to develop aftermarket coil packs.

11. Angel

There is an easy fix for this. If they only changed one coil pack and not the plugs they dealer is full of shit. My advise is simple, change the plugs. I don’t know how mechanically inclined you are. My recommendation is buy 1 or 2 step colder plugs ikh24 or ikh27 denso and install them. Gap them between .022-.024. Your issues will be gone and you will never have issues again unless you have a bad coil pack. I never had issues with my coil packs there were all good I just changed my plugs to 2 step colder and fixed the issue. There are numerous video online on how to change plugs. I made a video of changing plugs after I had my problem. Once you change plugs take a drive and WOT. If there are no misfires or check engine your problem is fixed. Otherwise put back oem plugs and take to the dealer to replace all coilpacks. After you get new coilpacks then put denso plugs. Hope this help, I rarely get on but I am sure there are others stinger owners that can help you. Good luck !

• Like Like x 1
  12. DaBears4Lyfe

DaBears4Lyfe United States 1000 Posts Club!

WHHHAHHAAAAAATTTTT MY GUY WHERE YOU BEEN! Whats the new whip?

Draft saved Draft deleted