kia stinger store

3.3TT WTB Catback - Borla vs MBRP

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Hey everyone! :)

Hope you're all doing well and staying safe! :)

I have narrowed down my decision to either Borla ( 2018-2021 Kia Stinger Cat-Back Exhaust System S-Type Part # 140736 ) or MBRP ( 2.5" Cat Back, Dual Rear Exit, T304 Kia Stinger 3.3L RWD/AWD 2018 - 2021 ) but would love some input from the forums of why one would be chosen over the other. I would love open feedback, honest opinions, stories, or any other information and advice possible. Also, if possible, I have seen some vendors posting on here as well. I am very much interested to see what discounts and specials can be done. Whether it is from private messages or posting in this thread I would love to see a deal be made on either of these. Please and thank you! :)

AWDGT2

I cant speak good or bad about Borla but I love my MBRP cat back. It has the exact sound I was looking for, they have great sound clips on thier site. I did it in conjunction with CAI and I immediately noticed a power difference. No annoying drone and a nice burble on deceleration.

runner1

Stinger Enthusiast
Borla is louder....there are audible burbles off throttle on down shift. It gets noticed. You’ll likely want aftermarket tips to help with situational drone.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
From the sound clips I am seeing online MBRP seems only slightly louder than stock. How much louder is it on both idle and full throttle? What about lower RPM's when driving around town?

Borla is louder but with much more drone, correct?

Foolish question but if I get Borla, or MBRP, is it ok to not get any exhaust tips? What are the reasons for getting exhaust tips besides aesthetics and drone reduction?

Thank you!! :)

Ulikefishsticks

Well, if you get Borla the drone might be really rough for you without the tips. Depends on how sensitive you are to it. The tips really help, however there are methods that will allow you to connect the exhaust so it passes through the fake tips. The issue is with it just stock tips, the louder exhaust will bounce around under the car. To just let you know how it is. I had a rear mounted dash cam and without the tips it vibrated loose the screw for the dashcam facing rearwards haha.

Stratofied

I am looking at these two options as well and would love to hear some more input here. for both our sakes. Unfortunately YouTube videos only help so much because most cameras will adjust the volume a bit so the sound volume difference isn't realistic. It can also be hard to reproduce the deeper tones especially when listening on a phone or basic speakers. Listen to the borla on your phone then listen to it on something with a subwoofer, sounds like a completely different exhaust.

From what I can gather the MBRP is still a significant amount louder than stock, but the Borla is even louder than that. The numbers I saw somewhere were from 1-10, Stock being a 1, the MBRP is like a 6 and the Borla is like a 9. Not sure how that scale works out lol, really wish I could hear them both in person.

AYip31

Florida
From what I can gather the MBRP is still a significant amount louder than stock, but the Borla is even louder than that. The numbers I saw somewhere were from 1-10, Stock being a 1, the MBRP is like a 6 and the Borla is like a 9. Not sure how that scale works out lol, really wish I could hear them both in person.

Yep this is basically it

Snowwhite

The mbrp is deeper and louder in person outside the car than the video clips would lead you to believe. Inside with tips it’s nice with no drone. You can tell you have an exhaust but it’s not annoying for a daily driver in regular use.
I have not heard the borla in person.

Blueangel

The mbrp is deeper and louder in person outside the car than the video clips would lead you to believe. Inside with tips it’s nice with no drone. You can tell you have an exhaust but it’s not annoying for a daily driver in regular use.
I have not heard the borla in person.
In reality, would you say the sound is deeper or about the same as Gtecko’s vid clip in the MBRP thread?

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had the MBRP for over a year with no tips. From 1 to 10 with 1 being stock and 10 being muffler deletes (which I've had), id say the volume is a 4.5. Never heard the Borla but I know its louder. MBRP sounds good without being too much. Never felt like I needed tips, but I do have a set on order right now, just because I wanted to hear the difference they make and I had the itch to do another mod. Definitely recommend the MBRP.

Snowwhite

In reality, would you say the sound is deeper or about the same as Gtecko’s vid clip in the MBRP thread?
Yes, but listen with GOOD over-ear earphones cranked way up. ( I used Sony MDR-V6s with the volume on my mac at about 85% for it to come close to reality.) If you're listening with in-ear buds you're not going to get the rumble.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA
Great!

Looks like I am "sold" on the MBRP exhaust! I will just get the exhaust first and see if I want to get tips. Thank you everyone so much btw! Very helpful forums!!! :D

Last few questions then...

1 - Are there any downsides to the MBRP exhaust compared to stock exhaust?
2 - What is the weight difference between MBRP exhaust and stock exhaust ?
3 - Is this ( 2.5" Cat Back, Dual Rear Exit, T304 Kia Stinger 3.3L RWD/AWD 2018 - 2021 ) the specific MBRP exhaust that I should purchase for my 2020 Stinger GT RWD or is there a different one I should be looking at?
4 - Where or how can I contact a vendor directly to get a discount? My zip code is 10704 but I was told of a muffler shop more out of state in my area that I should go to for the actual installation.
5 - Any other feedback or advice?

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
1. Only downside I can think of is that it causes a little bit of vibration in the car. Things in my center console vibrate sometimes. Buts it’s very minor. Tips would probably eliminate that.

2. not sure what the weight difference is, but it’s definitely lighter than stock. The mufflers are about 1/2 of the size.

3. That’s the right one. There are 2 versions. Stainless steel and aluminized steel. I have the aluminized. It’s a few hundred dollars cheaper. Won’t hold up against rust as well as the stainless but I think it’ll last plenty long. No rosy on the outside of mine. Inside may rust more than the stainless from moisture but again, it should last a long time.

4. I would recommend buying from k8stingerstore or khartunerz. Both are on this forum and have contact info on the website. Or even ebay. That’s where I got mine.

5. Install isn’t too bad. You can do it yourself and save some money if you have a garage and some jack stands or ramps

Ulikefishsticks

Looks like someone just posted they are selling an MBRP.

Looks like they are in Canada.

Svet

Hey
Great!

Looks like I am "sold" on the MBRP exhaust! I will just get the exhaust first and see if I want to get tips. Thank you everyone so much btw! Very helpful forums!!! :D

Last few questions then...

1 - Are there any downsides to the MBRP exhaust compared to stock exhaust?
2 - What is the weight difference between MBRP exhaust and stock exhaust ?
3 - Is this ( 2.5" Cat Back, Dual Rear Exit, T304 Kia Stinger 3.3L RWD/AWD 2018 - 2021 ) the specific MBRP exhaust that I should purchase for my 2020 Stinger GT RWD or is there a different one I should be looking at?
4 - Where or how can I contact a vendor directly to get a discount? My zip code is 10704 but I was told of a muffler shop more out of state in my area that I should go to for the actual installation.
5 - Any other feedback or advice?
Im not sure of the weight difference but the box mine came in was pretty heavy. I brought mine for installation at a local mechanic and that’s all you need. I live in Northern Westchester but work in Valhalla so if you want to hear it we can try to meet up if you like.

Ulikefishsticks

The catbacks are pretty straight forward install. But they aren't to bad to get installed at a shop. I got my exhaust put on for $150. Took them 20 minutes. I wish I would of done it myself but at the time I didn't have anywhere I could work on the car for an extended amount of time.

WRXtoStingerGT

1000 Posts Club!
USA

Thank you everyone for your prompt and amazing replies! I greatly appreciate it! :)

87and66: Sounds good! Thank you! Yeah I don't mind paying a little bit more since I plan to keep this car at least ten years so I figured to go with the stainless steel since it has a lifetime warranty. Hopefully the vibrations and drone aren't too bad haha. My gf really disliked my WRX since it had an SPT Catback (dealership issued and installed) and had a crazy drone on the highways... but then again it was only a five speed... Yeah if I can do it myself to save some money that would be amazing haha.​

Ulikefishsticks: I feel you on that! Don't wanna spend too much and save as much as I can. Where I live right now I don't have a garage and unfortunately park in the grass beside the street. I would have to borrow someone's driveway or use a parking garage but that can cause issues. No welding or cutting required at all though?​

Svet: Hey! Yeah I would love to meet! Let me know where is a good place and time and I should make it work. I have a very flexible work schedule until the end of the month. Pick a spot that is best for you but I would prefer somewhere that has free parking and open space. Would be great meeting a fellow enthusiast who already has the mods I plan to get! (btw... are you Russian? I ask because of your username)​

EClapp3

I went with the aluminized MBRP. Ordered yesterday. My plan is to spray them with some high temp spray paint to keep the rust down since I'm in the rust belt. The amount of time it would take to rust from the inside out will be way longer than I have the car.

87and66

Stinger Enthusiast
Pittsburgh, PA
I went with the aluminized MBRP. Ordered yesterday. My plan is to spray them with some high temp spray paint to keep the rust down since I'm in the rust belt. The amount of time it would take to rust from the inside out will be way longer than I have the car.
Honestly after 14 months or so, there is only rust on the hangars and the welds of mine. The exhaust itself is fine. I think the rust danger is more internal than external. Painting it won’t have much benefit. Those weds are thick, so the chances of the rusting through.... well it would take 30 years