kia stinger store

Dealer Markup World Car Kia North (San Antonio, TX)

jeffsquared

We attempted to purchase a 2021 Stinger GT-Line. They added an "Appearance package" to my quote that we didn't ask for - $2800 for window tint, paint sealant, and interior leather treatment.

The salesman did not acknowledge that they were selling us things we didn't want. I explained do car detailing as a hobby and the latter two items were worthless -- in fact a negative -- for me.

They offered to remove $1000, this still would have kept the car above MSRP. After I walked away, they offered just the tint for $800 (my suggestion on what I would pay) -- in the end we couldn't reach numbers that were satisfactory for a package I didn't ask for.

World Car Kia North seems to have traditional salesmen and still think Stingers are exclusive enough that they can still sell them with markup and packages you don't want. They were pretty firm and not budging from their position after the initial $1000 discount. $1800 for 2 things I don't want and 1 thing I would "accept" (but did not ask for) is a tall order for me. I don't think most would have been able to get that final, post-walk offer. Skip over these guys.

noogahz

Austin, Texas
I don't think paying $800 for tint is a good idea. Personally, if I ended up wanting to buy tint, I would get it professionally done with the best tint available for that price.

To give you an idea, I got high quality tint work done for a total of $130. I got a discount due to family connections, but even without it, he would have charged me $200 (what he told me). Where are you getting a $800 tint quote from??

I hope they realize Stingers aren't even that great, and this is coming from a 2018 Stinger owner.

Thanks for your review!

Yep, $800 is crazy for tint. The local shop I use is probably the best in Western PA, constantly getting $300k+ cars trailered in to have PPF/Ceramic/Tint/etc done. For my Stinger they quoted me $250 all around for the normal base tint, and $450 for the best heat blocking stuff they can get their hands on.

jeffsquared

$800 was my knowingly generous offer to pay for the tint only, and provide the dealer some amount of profit. I called 3 places in the area and the tint quotes ranged from $400 to $600. Dealership experience-wise, the outcome would have been the same.

CKeeler

Stinger Enthusiast
Quail Valley, CA
That’s pretty much exactly the price that the dealership I bought mine from wanted to add onto the price of my car. Luckily enough for me, they had the exact car on their website for a cheaper price. And they had to honor that price.

stoopid

Las Vegas, NV
Findlay here in Vegas did something similar. While waiting for the finance guy, the salesman explained that here they would have a lot of requests FOR tint (because desert), so they just tint all the Stingers and deal with the few who object like me. lol

It's certainly an upsell for them, but another way of looking at it is the tint work is labor intensive (someone actually had to do it) and if done well enough, one less thing to worry about having installed after purchase of the vehicle. I got them to split the cost on the markup, which was also $800 for tint and a couple other less valuable things.

In buying another new car here in Vegas, it seems like all dealers do this markup thing. We went to two dealerships for the other vehicle and they both had dealer packages already added that we would not have normally purchased. Must be a state by state thing, I'm not sure they can do this in New York where I'm from where I've purchased numerous cars new and never had any addons preinstalled in this manner. Sounds like Nevada and Texas allow this. Surprise surprise.

noogahz

Austin, Texas
I just think paying +$300 for tint is ridiculous unless it's a supercar...

It's just tint ... not even anything super intensive besides maybe an hour or 2 to apply, that is...if you have the option :thumbup:

Like I mentioned, I got mine for $130 and it's been great ever since I got it +2 years ago.

20indigo

Newish Member
I'm in Corpus. I went to the one local Kia dealer and shopped around online, by phone and email at dealers in San Antonio, Austin, and down in the valley. ALL of them added a bs appearance package in the 2k - 3k range. Tinting, wheel locks, window etching, some lojack type service. All of it ridiculously marked up. When I told the local dealer I'm not interested in any of that, he said it's not negotiable. So I said bye. I went to Houston and got what I wanted from a dealer that wasn't playing games with add-ons.

Ruturaj

1000 Posts Club!
Raleigh, NC
Yikes, I got mine 2019 GT2 AWD in December of 2018 and was able to get 4k off with no shit installed. I visited a dealership before that that tried to sell me car at MSRP with dealer installed things.

I would say got through costco program. My friend was able to get 5k off using that route.