Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

WiFi Hotspot

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Technology Discussion' started by Andy74, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Andy74

Andy74 Ireland Newish Member

So, using my phone as a wifi hotspot is great as it adds some features to the navigation, however, it doesn't automatically reconnect to the phone in the same way the bluetooth will.

Is this normal? Does it have to positively be connected each time because it is using your data?

Also, when reconnecting each time my phone never appears on the list. I have to turn my personal hotspot off and on via the phone each time and then the phone appears and actually then connects itself immediately.

A bit fiddly to do this every time I set off...

2. Sabz

Sabz United States Active Member

Never tried hotspot on mine but does it work for all trims? What extra features do you get

3. Andy74

Andy74 Ireland Newish Member

Not sure on the trims. It is certainly on the GTS in UK. Additions I can see just now are live traffic updates with the map marked up with congested areas and also the location of speed cameras with an audible warning when you are approaching them.

4. Sabz

Sabz United States Active Member

Oh nice is this using standard gps on Kia or in my case I have to use my Apple CarPlay maps to use gps

5. delirium

delirium Netherlands Member

I've dropped using a smartphone as wifi hotspot since I kept forgetting to turn it off. Laptop connected to a smartphone instead of home AP or AP at work and my 10Gb data plan got used in 2 days. Meh. Instead, I've bought USB router with Wi-Fi support just for traffic and cam alerts.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Never had problem with with wifi when i need to use it.

7. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada Active Member

How do you set it up?

8. delirium

Activate access point either on your smartphone or router, go to settings, select wifi, scan for available networks and choose the correct one. In 1-2 minutes head unit would get traffic, speed cams and road accident info.

9. Dan1028

Dan1028 United States Member

I'm curious if the nav system has different features across the different markets. I never use the Wi-Fi feature with my phone as hotspot, and live traffic seems to update directly through Kia or whatever system they use.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. delirium

There are several ways a vehicle can obtain traffic info.

First one is the Internet via connecting to access point. Pretty much straightforward. Another one is RDS TMC and TA messages being broadcasted via FM radio. And the last but not the least I've heard you have something called SiriusXM in the US which is also able to provide traffic info to the navigation system.

If you see traffic alerts but don't have Wi-Fi connection enabled probably you are using either RDS or SiriusXM data.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. NoVAGT2

NoVAGT2 United States Member

Sounds like RDS is called "HD Radio Data Services" in the US Multimedia manual, which "provides users with information such as weather, Doppler radar and traffic." Although the manual discusses the first two, there is no discussion of how the traffic information is integrated into the nav. If you have SirusXM (a paid service using data from satellites) or an internet connection which data streams take precedence?

@delirium How does Internet traffic work? Is it basically streaming information to Google/Apple maps or something else?

Cheers!

12. delirium

That's interesting. Actually HD Radio is somewhat very unique to the US and Canada markets. Tech basically allowing frequency division multiplexing in several FM/AM channels to provide better sound quality AND provide some additional data. Not available in Europe. RDS is another communication protocol leveraging FM band only. Despite the fact they both serve the same purpose they are completely different.

Frankly, I don't know which traffic data head unit prefers in case there are several sources available.

Android Auto/Apple CarPlay plays on its own.

Internet connection enables traffic information on built-in maps. TomTom in my case. I believe this data provided by Yandex (Russian Google). This is the only option in Russia as RDS TMC not working here in KIA cars for some reason. But it starts working as soon as I cross Finland border. Probably needs a subscription.

Looks like this -
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 3:48 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  13. NoVAGT2

NoVAGT2 United States Member

Great information! Thank you! So, it seems the head unit utilizes the internet connection to obtain TomTom Live data. This is the first vehicle I've owned with Wifi and I don't intend to pay for SirusXM after the discounts run out, so I'll try using the smartphone as a hotspot ... and try to remember to turn it off! :)

Cheers

14. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 1000 Posts Club!

I get mapped traffic updates with my TracFone connected via BlueTooth. What advantage does a WiFi have?

15. MerlintheMad

Ah, that would explain it. SiriusXM it is.

16. MerlintheMad

Wait a bit, I don't PAY for anything. And any three month free introductory stuff ran out over a month ago.

17. Dennis

Dennis Singapore Member

Does the Stinger come with wifi ability this is new to me maybe region base? Traffic info as mention by delirium is correct it gathers either through internet if you are using Carplay or Android Auto or through RTTI signal where traffic info is actually hidden within it. I came across this my 2012 Beemers do not have built in sim card and its also not connected to the internet yet it receives the traffic info via RTTI signal.

Draft saved Draft deleted