Welcome to the Stinger Owners Group!

We're so glad you found us. Please click the button below and become a member!
Register Now
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Who's copying who? (Stinger vs. Audi A7)

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by iclicku, Feb 13, 2018.

1. iclicku

iclicku United States Active Member

Both are beautiful cars...because they look very similar.

kia stinger.jpg
    2019 audi a7.jpg

Look at those wheels...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Schpok

Schpok Germany Member

To be honest the new A7 looks a little bit more like the Stinger But I think, the KIA is the perfect combination between the A5 sportback and the A7. If you just look from the side.
    maxresdefault.jpg

If we talk about the rear I think the tail lights are stolen from a charger :rofl:
    q63KYFd.jpg

Overall I think KIA did a great Job creating the car, and they got help from the the best car companys in Germany (Ex Designer form Audi [Yes he works for KIA now, but still] ; Chassis engeneering by BMW M ; and probably more that I don't name right now)

• Like Like x 2
  3. AV8R

AV8R Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Perth
    I’ll have one of each thanks:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Active Member

Seoul
    I wish the stinger had the frameless doors of the A7.:D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. voon

voon Switzerland Active Member

Frames have advantages with the glass held better etc ... I'm okay with it. Visibility is better on the Audi due to the glass going further back on the side (I assume the Audi has no large hatchback door?), but look sbetter on the Stinger imho. The wheels are ... lel .. wtf.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. iclicku

Yeah I wonder what the designers at KIA are thinking seeing the wheels on the A7...lol

7. westcoastGT

westcoastGT Canada 1000 Posts Club!

I think the rear of the Stinger looks more like this :

Attached Files:

8. iclicku

I've been told on numerous occasions that the stinger looks like a maserati.

9. westcoastGT

westcoastGT Canada 1000 Posts Club!

me too , but never a Dodge !:laugh:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. voon

voon Switzerland Active Member

Maseraudi

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. MarkyMark

MarkyMark United States Active Member

While the wheels are of the same design treatment, and they are both hatchbacks, profiles of similar market vehicles often look identical or close too. Even so, the rear window treatment is highly dis-similar between the two vehicles. Side mirrors are treated differently, the Stinger has vented wheel wheel wells front and back, and the door creases are quite different. Let's look at the front:
    Stinger A7 Design.jpg
    Yes, some queues are going be similar, as most cars in like markets have them due to many reasons (mostly due to dimensional requirements). If you want to see a car that took A7 queues, look at the back half of the Chevy Malibu. Clearly inspired by the A7.

Looking at the rear of the cars, they are not similar either. Both are hatchbacks, A7 a bit roomier, but hatchbacks are all going to have a hunch form, physics being what they are to make them a functional hatch.

So that's my take. Pretty different vehicles, and I don't think many are going to say "Oh, wow that looks like an A7" when my experience (and others I have read thus far) have been "I thought that was an exotic or a Maserati!"

• Like Like x 3
  12. Dave Miller

Dave Miller United States Active Member Stinger Dealer

A week or two before the Stinger got here I was scrolling through Facebook and somebody had posted a picture of the rear end of their RS7 in red. I had to double take because I thought one of my friends had a Stinger before we even got them!

• Like Like x 1
  13. xot1

xot1 Korea, Republic of Active Member

Seoul
    This Audi wheel design has been around for a long time. When I saw the stinger for the first time I recognized these wheels immediately.

Take a look at the wheels on the 2016 audi a7
    2016_audi_a7_sedan_prestige-quattro_fq_oem_2_400.jpg
    2016_audi_a7_rims.jpg

Same kind of design also on the previous audi r8 spyder
    audi-r8-gt-spyder-c337520062016151047_6.jpg

then look at the stinger auto show wheels
    download (37).jpg

The current stinger wheels looks to me as a variant of these auto show wheels, and I think they clearly got inspired by audi design. (or is it their designer comes from audi? :D)
    Even the center lock is kinda similar.
    2018-Kia-Stinger-Si-3925.jpg
    2018-Kia-Stinger-GT-wheel.jpg

Personally I really like that wheel design. It gives the illusion of a stronger(?) offset from the side.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Rufus

Rufus United States Active Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rango

Rango United States Member

Stinger looks more planted. The S5 angles too much towards the front. My wife agrees with me ... horizontal is more relaxing!:thumbup:

16. Rufus

Rufus United States Active Member

From the side, the Audi's C pillar kickup in relation to the top of the rear deck is awfully reminiscent of the new ...Honda Civic.

17. AV8R

AV8R Australia Stinger Enthusiast

Perth
    Audi or Stinger?
    Audi or Stinger?
    Audi or...... Stinger?
    Stinger!!!!! Lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Kiaudi

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MarkyMark

MarkyMark United States Active Member

Similar lamp shape certainly so. Where the Stinger differentiates is by eliminating the (what I and some others - personal opinion mind you) tacky looking Tron-esque light bar around the entire shape.
    Have you sat in an S5? I'm 6'1" so it's not roomy enough for me, driver, passenger, or back. Driving I'm really boxed in. Passenger just as much - it's just a tight feel. The back is not as roomy as the Stinger either... Overall, it's just a claustrophobic (no, I don't get bothered by claustrophobia BTW), feel. That's fine, but when I'm behind the wheel for hours on end, I want to stretch out and have some room. The Stinger provides that.

20. Chris

Chris United States Stinger Enthusiast

MN
    I test drove an s5 and I'm 6' 2". I had plenty of room in the drivers seat. Back was pretty tight though when the front seat was adjusted how I needed it to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted