Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

3.3TT Whistle N Psshh

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Kamauxx, May 8, 2018.

1. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

So, as some have already heard my turbos now have a much more audible whistle since I installed an aftermarket exhaust.

I wanted to see (hear) what it would sound like if accompanied by the "psshh" sound that is so fond in the turbo community.

For shi-giggles I disconnected and capped the two hoses running to the BOV. This gives the car a sound similar to what we hear when folks install the K&N Typhoon.

The result was hard to capture on video. It's almost impossible to hear the whistle without headphones.

The loud whistle from the turbos followed by the loud ppsshh is pretty hard not to smile about, no matter how silly the sound is.

Total cost <$8 :laugh:

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. robz32

robz32 United States Stinger Enthusiast Staff Member Moderator

it does sound really cool. Although I think the K&N intake makes it resonate more. Good video

3. Kamauxx

Really? its just really hard to hear with the wind noise and horrible videographer.

Here's a better one (ignore my temp ziptie job)...

• Like Like x 1
  4. robz32

I think so. Keep in mind I am basing my opinion on the sound made by the intake on StingerGTandMe's video. Maybe the difference could be attributed to the recording equipment.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kamauxx

Yea he did break out the cam with mic for previous videos. I just used my cell phone.

6. Joseph Cahn

Joseph Cahn United States Member

Can you show exactly what you did because I want that noise as well.

7. Kamauxx

Go out and look in your engine bay in the area pictured.

[​IMG]

Note where I have the zip ties on either side of the BOV. All you have to do is remove the hoses from the BOV and then cap them to ensure nothing is entering into your intake.

I used a couple of these to plug the hoses.

https://m.autozone.com/internal-engine/freeze-plug/dorman-freeze-plug/522540_171905_4115

Then I ziptied the hose to make sure it isn't moving around in there.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Member

Soooooo, doesn't this car use a BPV and not a BOV?

Be careful doing this is it does indeed have a BPV- This could cause a rough idle and a spikey AFR's..... If its a BOV, then disregard this lol.

Picking mine up tomorrow !

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kamauxx

Hmm, not certain actually. You seem to know your stuff...looking at my pic isn't that a BOV that I have the hoses ziptied to?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Volvowith18psi

Volvowith18psi United States Member

I dunno man, that's why I was asking. I mean it looks like one, but I havent seen a legit factory turbo in a long time. The last turbo I had my hands on was a Mitsu Td04-15g w/ a 20g hotside in which I got T-boned like 3 days after installing. It had a BPV and when I plugged the lines, it screwed up the idle and AFR's @WOT. But that was many years ago.

11. robz32

Those are BPV's, and doing the above will not mess with the AFR's and idle as the Stinger and many newer cars use a MAP based setup. Before it used to be a problem because most cars were using a MAF based setup.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. bumble bee

bumble bee United States Active Member

Anyone else do this?

13. StingerGTT

StingerGTT United States Active Member

this post look so familiar lol hum wish I had thought of doing this weeks ago lol

14. mhal8876

mhal8876 United States Active Member

gonna do this next, want more of that sound!

15. DiabloStinger

DiabloStinger United States Newish Member

So, my $.02 from plenty of years with FI cars. Replace the BPV with something that has a more aggressive spring rate, but is also a BPV. What you don't want is knock when that thing exhausts and you jump back on the throttle!

16. mhal8876

mhal8876 United States Active Member

So you mean this will cause problem to our engine?

17. What is the purpose of the BPV?

18. Kamauxx

My understanding is it recirculates wasted air freshener the turbos back to the intake.

19. I was just thinking about this as well. Has anybody tested the stock BPV's? Most stock BPV's I've dealt with have bled off boost at higher RPM's usually caused by cheap plastic BPV's with weak springs.

20. Onno P

Onno P Netherlands Member

HKS SQV4 BOV + Flange Adaptor kia stinger

725 US$

COPY/PASTE:

The HKS Super Sequential Blowoff Valve (SSQV) is a dual stage pull type relief valve. Unlike other blow off valves that are push type, the SSQV will not leak under high boost conditions nor under vacuum at idle. Being of a pull type valve structure, the SSQV can not physically leak under any level of boost because boost pressure also keeps the valve closed against its seat. The SSQV is actuated by pressure alterations only, not by the rate of pressure or vacuum in the line, which ensures a quick valve response and complete closure during idle. Vehicle specific HKS SSQV kits come complete with all needed mounting flanges, brackets, and miscellaneous hardware for a bolt-on installation.

Last edited: May 18, 2018 at 4:53 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted