Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Which animal portrays the Stinger?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by eflyguy, Jan 7, 2019.

1. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Based on another threads discussion around the Mustang not having FORD badges plastered all over it - what animal represents the Stinger for you?

[​IMG]

I personally prefer the Scorpion, but many seem to like the wasp. What else would "qualify" in your mind?

I would expect some of our friends "down under" might choose some of their friendly neighborhood Scyphozoans..

2. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia 1000 Posts Club!

I tend to think of Bees, Wasps and Hornets first. 006ea2ee94d505d95379d58657929344.jpg

3. Kato_the_kia_stinger

Kato_the_kia_stinger United States Stinger Enthusiast

Scorpion

4. nhcowboy28

nhcowboy28 United States 1000 Posts Club!

Screaming penguin

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 2500 Posts Club!

I've never thought about it as an animal. I've always associated it with the MANPADS that carries the same name.

5a743360ddb48.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. 1RADKIA

1RADKIA United States Active Member

Scorpion all the way. (My license plate frame). Dodge has already used variants of bees and hornets...... and ‘this ain’t no Dodge”. db

7. Soca Boy

Soca Boy Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Executioner Wasp

Attached Files:

8. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

"Stinger" (the name) isn't a selling point with me. When I think about it, the choice to call this car a Stinger is a bit unfortunate. There is something a bit juvenile about it. :p Oh, well. Kia could have called it anything and I still would have bought one. I hope that they never select a stinging animal badge to associate with our GTs. I like to refer to the car's name as a kind of "in your face" to the badged brands, because the boxes that the Stinger checks "sting" the competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OliverNuther

OliverNuther Australia 1000 Posts Club!

True. Say Stingers to an Aussie, particularly a Queenslander, and this is what springs to mind.

85B28246-0E91-4832-89CE-9DF52F407D3C.jpeg C568661E-A81B-4B82-8648-93669727DC46.jpeg

But not a very prepossessing logo for a car.

If we’re going to be restricted to animal logos I’d go for the scorpion. But my overall preference would be for Kamauxx’ example. It’s a bit phallic as far as a logo goes but hey, it’s fast and destroys the opposition so it’s certainly appropriate.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

11. OliverNuther

The box jellyfish on the left is quite large, up to about a foot in diameter with tentacles up to about 10 feet long. This is probably the one most people associate with the words ‘marine stingers’. For my money the really scary one is the one on the right, the Irukandji. They’re only about the size of a US dime but almost invisible in the water. They used to be only found in tropical waters but lately have been found as far south as Brisbane. 3 fatalities have been recorded in Queensland in recent times from their stings.

12. AV8R

AV8R Australia 5000 Posts Club! Staff Member Authorized Vendor Moderator

13. Flameangel

Here's another Aussie Stinger images-1.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  14. OliverNuther

Yup, never thought of that although I think Corvette might have that one stitched up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. NickUK

NickUK United Kingdom Member

Although i respect your point, i actually like the name "Stinger" - I don't know why, but I just like to say it and how it sounds: Let's take the Stinger out for a drive - so much better than saying: "Let's take the S60 out for a drive" or any other combination of letters and numbers that cars are usually called nowadays. How boring would it be if they had called it a KIA K850, instead of a KIA Stinger?

The Stinger is called the Stinger because it supposed to get your attention and give the established brands in the segment a real wake up call. I think it's cool and different and that is exactly what the Stinger is meant to be. The Stinger script as well looks very cool too, an obvious homage to Maserati script. I know the lead designer of this car took inspiration from the Maserati Mistral, so it makes sense.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I said that: "Sting" the competition awake. I like the Stinger script too: put two of them over the yellow airbag warning signs on the sunshades. The OEM rubber floor matts retain the "Stinger" script, which I like also.

My criticism of the choice of the name is a talking point only. I'd never suggest that another name is "better", or they should have chosen a different name. "Stinger" is just not how I think about my car, vis-a-vis some animal with a stinger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Flameangel

yep, that's why some people affectionately call it their " poor man's Maserati "

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

As others said, I'm glad they didn't give it a letter/number combination which was possible given the other "luxury" offerings from HK and most other luxury brands, come to think of it..

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. forzanerazzurri

forzanerazzurri Canada Active Member

How about a molting chicken?

OK, the car reminds me of a shark.

20. Ozstung

Ozstung Australia 2500 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

That's the thing that killed Steve "crikey" Irwin.

Stinger for me is the scorpion.

Draft saved Draft deleted