Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Where to check for TSBs?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger TSB Discussion' started by Mark H, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Mark H

Mark H United States Member

I have no problem having oil changes done by a non-Kia/Hyundai dealer, but I want to have routine maintenance done at a dealer if a new TSB applies to my Stinger. Is there a place where I can look to find applicable TSBs when I want to take the car in for an oil change?

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Your Kia owners page should list TSB announcements. {{mctrl.meta.metaTitle}} (although safety recalls and campaigns show "0" on my account page; possibly because I've already done the wire harness, and the transmission logic check has officially been given "wait" status, twice, because I have opted to not do it yet; since I have no issues, "if it ain't broke, don't mess with it").

3. Mark H

Thanks, Merlin. I have done all recommended TSBs and my owner's page shows nothing. However, I just discovered this page:
    Information on Kia Recalls | Kia Owners
    Do you know if a TSB that is not classified as a "safety recall" would be listed there?

4. eljay

eljay United States Stinger Enthusiast

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I don't know. But it does say "SAFETY RECALLS", so I am guessing not. Between the owners page alerts and this VIN search page, we should be covered.

6. Mark H

Thanks, eljay, but no. The NTSB entry is devoid of TSBs that Kia issued for my Stinger (and that have been carried out). I guess we'll just need to see how future TSBs are publicized.

7. eljay

eljay United States Stinger Enthusiast

I'm curious, were there issues that weren't listed in NHTSA's 10 pages of TSBs and pit stops? What other problem did you have that wasn't listed? I want to make sure that I have them check everything during my next service.

[Changes made due to my distraction: I didn't post NTSB info, but rather NHTSA.]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  8. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

NHTSA is not NTSB, for the benefit of those that might go looking for info. The TSB info referenced here is a Technical Service Bulletin, something issues by the manufacturer to inform consumers (and service providers) of issues.

NTSB is a commercial transport accident investigation bureau and does not concern themselves with safety of private passenger vehicles.

9. StingaGT

StingaGT United States Active Member

10. Hapa88

Hapa88 United States Member

It looks like the link eljay posted is quite up to date:

This is the link for the 2018s:
    2018 KIA STINGER 4 DR AWD
    and this one for 2019s:
    2019 KIA STINGER 4 DR AWD

If you expand each TSB, the "Associated Document" file usually has the actual service procedure. Quite informative

11. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Active Member

I tried this one and it told me my vin was invalid. I guess it doesn't like CND Stingers:cry:

12. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

So.. if I look at the 2019 TSBs, it appears California is gathering data on "emissions equipment" for 2019 Stingers with > 3k miles AT EVERY DEALER VISIT. Anyone know what they do with this data? Will they track me down if my car shows abnormal results? Best to do a full battery-disconnect reset before every visit? This is getting a little too much..

13. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Recall notice lookup for Canada is through Transport Canada. The Stinger just has the one wiring harness recall.

Motor Vehicle Safety Recalls Database

KIA Canada's lookup by VIN is here:

Kia Recall | Kia Canada

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Hapa88

Hapa88 United States Member

When VAG (VW Auto Group) started doing data logging, it was noted that they could tell if you were ever chipped or had any ECU changes. Audis and VWs were so easy to chip at the time. Once they caught on, they started implementing data logging in their cars, so all that stuff is logged now and recorded. I wouldn't doubt that Kia has the ability to check the data logs to see if boost pressure went above the OEM limits to know if you are (or were) modded. People seem to think by unplugging their JB4 that Kia has no idea.. but that's only half of it. I'm sure they know... (UVO diagnostics also comes to mind)

15. Legendsk

Legendsk United States Active Member

What this VIN search tool will not show
    • A vehicle with a repaired safety recall. If your vehicle has no unrepaired recalls, you will see the message: "0 Unrepaired recalls associated with this VIN"
    • Manufacturer customer service or other nonsafety recall campaign
    • International vehicles
    • There may be a delay with very recently announced safety recalls for which not all VINs have been identified. VINs are added continuously so please check regularly.
    • Safety recalls that are more than 15 years old (except where a manufacturer offers more coverage)
    • Safety recalls conducted by small vehicle manufacturers, including some ultra-luxury brands and specialty applications

Draft saved Draft deleted