Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Where Do You Like The Steering Wheel?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Collybus, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Collybus

Collybus United States Newish Member

You know, other than in the front and on the left. :whistle:

I like the wheel to be very low. Like so low that my outstretched arm is almost completely horizontal while my hand is on the top of the wheel. Unfortunately, this results in the upper-most part of the instrument cluster being blocked by the steering wheel rim. If I put the seat lower, I can't hang my elbow out the window. If I put the seat up higher, my head hits the headliner. What is a Stinger driver to do?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. StingerGT68

StingerGT68 Stinger Enthusiast

Yeah, that's my one complaint. My steering wheel is lower which blocks the top cluster icons. Being 6'3" doesn't give me many options in seating position.

3. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 1000 Posts Club!

I have the seat all the way to the floor. It is forward enough so that my thighs are not planted on the seat, but rather have some air under them; which probably means that I am driving with my knees bent more than "sporty" drivers usually are. The steering column is slightly forward (has some extension play left). It is tilted up so that I can see the turn signals. The seat back is in a comfortably erect position: I can either hold my head so that it doesn't touch the headrest, or I can put my head on the headrest and it feels completely natural either way. If I place my hand on the 12 o'clock position, my elbow is slightly bent. I am six three. (The configuration of the windows on this car does not lend itself to hanging an elbow out the window, which is just fine by me.)

4. Schpok

Schpok Germany Active Member

so mine is all the way out, towards me
    and the height is set that I can read everything on there.
    the seat is almoast all the way down. It has a Little bit of Play left, probably like 2cm

If I put my Hand on top of the wheel, my arm Points up. but if I gab it on the side (3 and 9 o'clock) my Arms are almoast 90°
    the only thing that is a Little weird, is when you have your elbow on the door and grab the wheel. than there is no Chance for me to hold it on the 9 o'clock Position because my arm is too high up and too long ( if you know what I mean :rolleyes:)

at first I was like, damn the wheel is high up (well it really is) but I got used to it and now I kinda like it

5. AV8R

AV8R Australia 2500 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Generally in the car on the right side unlike my American buddies. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. AV8R

Minimalist look
    6ADA9812-E75C-4DD4-8483-295DB314B41A.jpeg
    Aussie conversion
    B360A5BE-A5A1-449D-98DB-2D1B84F24473.jpeg
    Nautical look
    43BD9F95-0ED3-4165-A140-6FAD6805EB8B.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. MerlintheMad

@AV8R That middle one is why The State has to get involved in traffic rules and safety regulations. There really are people "out there" who think that they have a right to do whatever the hell they like to their car and we all just should suck it up.

8. AV8R

You also need long arms to operate the indicators!

9. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

Nah, that's a BMW only mod, no need for them.

10. MerlintheMad

Indicators? People who create stuff like that don't need no stinkin' indicators. "Why should I have to tell you where I am going or what I am doing?" That is their attitude.

11. sym

sym United States Member

In terms of safety I think your best bet is to keep as much distance between you and the steering wheel as possible.

I have my seat pretty far back but still being able to reach the pedals. I adjusted the seat height so that the most comfortable steering wheel height (where my elbows can sit on the door / center console) still lets me see the gauge cluster. The wheel is minimally extended.

12. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

I would like the wheel to come out about 2 inches or so more. My Volvo has a pretty long extension, all my KIA hit the stop before I get to a place where it is comfortable, then I have adjust the seat close and don't feel comfortable.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

im tall, so wish that wheel would go in.

14. Collybus

Collybus United States Newish Member

I'm thinking that I'm likely to be using the two memory settings as a sort of summer/winter operating conditions option. #1 for summer, where I am barefoot or in sandals/sneakers and no jacket, and #2 for winter when I have thick-soled boots and a heavy coat on, where the seat will have to be further back. My first car with memory seats! I am so excited.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AV8R

You are very lucky to have a long extension, but i can understand how it would benefit to have 2 inches more! :p

16. rocket23

rocket23 United States Active Member

I keep the steering wheel in the palm of my hand(s).

17. MerlintheMad

@AV8R You are incorrigible. :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. rocket23

rocket23 United States Active Member

awwww c'mon, my post was funny too!!!

19. MerlintheMad

Rocket, don't encouraged Them. ;) :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AV8R

Now if you kept it in the palm of your two hands it may be too much if you had an extra two inches extension. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted