Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

What's left for performance?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Pnasty, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Pnasty

Pnasty United States Member

I am currently running jb4 map 5, e30, and intakes. What else is out there to make more power with a little bit of cost / return in mind? I was running 12.4 consistent yesterday (hot day with headwind).

Downpipes just dont seem worth the 10hp to deal with the oil seepage thats being reported, and the full exhaust is just way too horrible sounding for a street car anyways. No real turbo upgrade options. meth doesnt seem to make any more power than e30... Do I have it all wrong or is this pretty much it for the car unless I want to spend 5k on a motec computer?

2. zbc1969

zbc1969 United States Member

Probably at least secondary down pipes. Stickier tires and lighter wheels if you’re still on the stock wheels and tires. Then a better full ecu tune. Tork just posted a video of much faster shifts with their tune.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pnasty

I’m definitely getting the stage 2 form when that drops . Is there really any gains with secondary dp?

4. zbc1969

The secondary dp and the mufflers are the largest restriction. Without a tune you probably won’t notice a big difference but it allows less restriction on the turbo and lets it spool much faster. When you get your tune that will make a pretty big difference.

5. SafetyPilotCal

SafetyPilotCal Member

Not to threadjack, but where can I find this video? I want to check it out!

6. zbc1969

I think its on their fb. They posted it to the Kia stinger fb page

7. Pnasty

If you see my first post I’m already JB4 map 5 on e30

8. cncBilly

cncBilly Canada Stinger Enthusiast

Go with an Exhaust, secondaries don’t seem to add much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Pnasty

what are you referring to with exhuast? axle back? primary downpipe?

10. cncBilly

Cat back. Leave the primaries and secondaries.

11. Pnasty

cat back would remove secondaries, axle back leaves stock secondaries. but point taken nonetheless, thanks for the input!

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

Do a mellow catback like magnaflow and a fmic.
    Secondarys do nada. Catback a little more than nada. Primaries too much of a pain.
    11.9s. Pretty easy with that on Tork tune. I ran 11.89 slip with same setup but ark catback, no brake snip.

13. Pnasty

The best I could pull on my current setup was 12.4... im hoping i can blame that on the wind and heat. is there substantial gain with something like the magnaflow? all things equal im okay with this car being a silent sleeper but if it nets my 15 whp+ then im willing to swap some exhuast parts

14. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

You already have more airflow going in from intakes & extra boost, but without a free flowing exhaust your likely killing your top end HP. Torks dyno shows 50whp+ at 6100rpm with both intakes and muffler deletes.
    808E0258-24F8-4909-B5DB-A7B92DA79822.jpeg By removing both of the biggest restrictions( intake box & mufflers) you should increase your top end significantly. Right now you probably have substantial back pressure running OEM exhaust, but increased airflow from extra boost & open air intakes.

I suggest trying muffler deletes for only $200 first, and maybe some sticky tires(if RWD) to lessen wheel-spin. Then if that isn’t enough to hit 11s I’d go with the Ultimate Performance DP combo which is good for about another 30whp and has HFCs so you’re not running into the catless issues & noise. BE0641FE-10A9-4889-A85A-66F635522F15.jpeg

Hope that helps and those upgrades should make a noticeable difference without breaking the bank.:thumbup:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
  15. Pnasty

thanks thats a big help. Does anyone sell a muffler delete pipe that isnt $500? I know it would be cheap to have made at a shop but its a hard time for me to have the car dropped off right now, id much rather just order one and do it one night at the house

• Like Like x 1
  16. cncBilly

I believe there is some on the forum at the moment for $200.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tonkabob

Tonkabob United States 1000 Posts Club!

It's probably closer to 10 hp but catbacks arent well hp tested with and without tunes as most people do those first.
    Nothing is big gains after the tune and intake unfortunately but it still adds up.

18. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

If you’re talking about axle-back exhausts then they are about $400-$500 new, but I can’t see paying more than double the price for the same thing.

You shouldn’t need to drop it off. My exhaust shop took less than an hour to do mine and was well worth the $300 in savings.:D

19. Stiletto

Stiletto United States Member

WMI and E30 is a good combo for multiple reasons. I ran that on my Focus RS (until went full E85). If you're running 50/50 blend water meth, the power will not equal E30. More meth will obviously net you more power. The benefit is the top end, where almost every production car falls off. The WMI will help with that. Also, it's cleaning the valves, so down the road you won't have power-robbing carbon build up.

Your next best bet is a custom tune on top of the JB4.

As others have mentioned, exhaust is a bottleneck.

Instead of just adding power, also look to dropping weight.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daniel @ K8 Stinger Store

Daniel @ K8 Stinger Store United States Active Member Authorized Vendor

21. Toddasaurus

Toddasaurus United States Active Member

Speaking of the U.P. downpipe kit, have you had any customers have oil leaking from the turbos, creating noticeable exhaust smoke when flooring it, after installing them?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted