Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

What is the engine break-in period for the Kia Stinger?

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Wilco, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Wilco

Wilco Canada Newish Member

As title says

2. jrhodes87

jrhodes87 United States Active Member

I've heard 600 miles staying below 4k rpm.

At least that's what I've been following

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Franklin Bing

Franklin Bing United States Member

the specifics are in the manual but all KIA engines are broken in already from the factory, what the manual suggests is basically to use a range of RPM's during the first 600 miles (2000-4000 RPM), don't redline it, and to refrain from using cruise control or a steady RPM for an extended period. and don't tow anything. lol.

4. Franklin Bing

here

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. jrhodes87

jrhodes87 United States Active Member

Well I picked mine up today and had to drive 7 hours to Knoxville. So I had been running pretty steady most of the time hope it doesn't mess with anything, I stopped pretty frequently however

Drove it off the lot with 15 miles on it. At about 485 now

6. Franklin Bing

TBH I don't think it makes much of a difference. I work for a Kia store and don't want to sound like a shill, but Kia torture tests these engines for 300 hours at full open throttle with full load to ensure durability. check it out here

• Like Like x 6
  7. Onno P

Onno P Argentina Active Member

Please read about the brake-in on the brakes to avoid warped rotors

8. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Stinger Enthusiast

Curious how many of you bought cars with less than 2 miles on clock? Wonder who drove that car and used right break in processes? the 19 year old kid who couldn't afford one but wanted to do a burnout on test drive? Hell even Kia guys going to fill up gas tank goosed motor to redline Im betting. Engine break in periods these days are sort of out dated. Sure take it easy for couple hundred miles but I dont think you will see much of a difference in overall long longevity of motor by doing anything different than just driving the car. Bigger impact will be changing oil on timely basis. There is a red AWD GT2 out there somewhere that I did full throttle accelerations a couple times on test drive . So much for break in. LOL!

9. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

My car came from c. thirty miles away, brought to me by my sales rep on a trade from another dealer. And the odometer had 29 miles listed as the starting mileage. I guess my brakes weren't bedded, then. :p They were probably bedded on a dyno. Letting some "test driver" go out on the factory circuit and do it would be very inefficient and stupid, for the reasons you imaginatively illustrated.

10. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

There is supposed to be some driving done as part of the dealer pre-delivery check, would be interesting to see what that entails.

11. Adamdan

Adamdan Canada Stinger Enthusiast

My break in was pull off the lot, wait till car was fully warmed up, turn on sport mode and launch control and repeat.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Sime

Sime Australia Member

Sorry, but your not reading into that video properly. That’s what they do a an engine when developing it, that’s not what they do to every engine. They do not have the time and resources to run every engine for 300+ hours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Flameangel

Flameangel Australia Stinger Enthusiast

This expression " redline " does that mean floor the accelerator at the lights etc ?

14. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

The "red" part of the tacho (extremely high revs).

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Crayola Grey

Crayola Grey United States Member

Planning on doing my 2nd Earl Change today at 5,000 miles (1st was done with conventional oil at 500 miles) and will be using synthetic now that my engine is fully all broken in. Got all these new "Stinger Specific" Earl Changin' Tools for only the KIA, because it's special.

Hard to see in the picture, but we've got a brand new 3/8" 27mm STEELMAN socket for the oil-filter-canister-housing.

A Sunex 1/4" 10mm socket for the Milwaukee FUEL ratchet on a little extension for the under-panels,

And a 14.5" extra-long wrench for the drain bolt at 17mm...

KIA_Stinger_EARL_CHANGE_KIT.jpg

16. MerlintheMad

I didn't get that from what "Frank" said. It seems obvious that the "torture test" is as you say, developing the engine, not putting every engine that gets put into a car through that crap. That would reduce the operating life of each engine to no purpose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ziev

Ziev United States New Member

Care to elaborate or provide a link? Dont want to mess things up.

18. MerlintheMad

Draft saved Draft deleted