Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

What is better hot air cai or cool air stock box

Discussion in 'Engine, Drivetrain, and Exhaust Discussion' started by Fl stingergt, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Fl stingergt

Fl stingergt United States Active Member

Looking for feed back just changed intakes to cai from stock air box with drop in kn. Is cool air better or more air better Feels like stockbox with kn has more torque. Having hard time justifying filters under hood temperatures 140 after ride. I mean car is still pulling hard, but felt stronger with stock box. Any thoughts out there

2. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

CAI = Cold Air Intake. Pretty much self explanatory, isn't it?! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Fl stingergt

Ya I understand that. I think it had more tork with stock box and kn. Just didn’t know if I was me or what. I mean car has lots of power still but feels different for some reason.

4. Fl stingergt

I mean with racechip exhaust it felt it had more low end tork with stock box comp to under hood intakes

5. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

What kind of driving were you doing? I'd think if sitting in stop-and-go traffic the open filters could get heat soaked pretty quickly.

Or were you cruising on the highway when you noticed the difference?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

Your butt-meter is probably not wrong.
    20 years ago I installed a K&N CAI in my F150, 4.6 l V8. After a week of driving a was disappointed, as I felt any power increase absent with a lot of noise generated. After 3 weeks I de-installed the assembly and went back to stock.
    The K&N design is virtually unchanged over many years and the air pick-up is under the hood where the air is warm or hot. Ford's design takes the air from the wheel wells, cold outside air that is much denser than the air under the hood. Along with many other drivers, I am of the opinion that a power increase stemming from a CAI - as it is normally sold - is a myth.
    Mind you, if one were to re-engineer the air intake to ensure cold outside air is provided to the turbos, now that would be a different matter. Good luck. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Fl stingergt

Noticed from dead stop.like I said car still go like crazy spins through first hits second gear still spends and hits hard third. But when I get home filters are 140 degrees. So I’m having hard time with the more air concept over the cooler air from stock box’s. When they where in car after racing car hard filters inside stock box was 87 degrees outside of box was 135

8. Fl stingergt

Don’t get me wrong car both ways is fast. Just feels like the stock box’s with drop in kn had alittle more low end pull.and it is just more noisy with open intake on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fl stingergt

Just was looking for some of your guys opinions on this issue.

10. Fl stingergt

If air is 200 degrees under hood. Or 90 outside. Which is better more air but hot or less air but cooler with stock box

11. Kamauxx

Kamauxx United States 1000 Posts Club!

On the hwy that 90 degree air is going to be blowing in and also pushing the hot engine air out.

Sitting in traffic the 90 degree air is going to just hang out with the hot engine air, soaking the intakes.

The benefit of the stock boxes is it insulates the filters from that hot engine bay air so you don't get the heat soaking that you are with the K&N.

This is why everyone wants an enclosed box with huge filters, and air feeding directly into them from the ducts. Lots of airflow and insulation from the engine bay temps.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Fl stingergt

Ya simple science I guess.these dyno test throw thing off I think. Hoods are up and air is being circulated with fans. That’s what I am asking is the cooler air a better situation for power or is it more air even though it’s hot under engine air

13. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator

Some styles have modified ducting which can help, but by definition it should be isolating the intake from the engine compartment..

14. junesrig

junesrig United States Active Member Sustaining Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. bumble bee

bumble bee United States 1000 Posts Club! Sustaining Member

Good video!

16. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

Its pretty typical that a CAI will give you a bump in peak power at the cost of a loss in low end torque. The Stinger produces ALOT of heat so I think if you're running your car at a track, keeping it in high rpms and moving fast pushing lots of air through the engine bay to keep temps down, the CAI has the advantage. My opinion is it isnt going to do you much good on the street.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Active Member

I should say I wouldnt deter anyone from buying an intake as they are a fun DIY mod and can give you the odd advantage on the street if certain variables are in your favour. Plus they sound cool.

18. Fl stingergt

That’s what I am noticing feels like the torque moved up alittle in the rpm range low end. I thought I was going nuts. The stock intakes with drop in kn to me pulls way harder at low rpm

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fl stingergt

Ya I’m switching them back tomorrow.car had know problem beating a modified corvette on street to 110mph then he drove around me same with mustang I raced. Got both them off line by 2 to 3 cars and held them there like I said until they drove around me. If stinger is at a big disadvantage at higher speeds. It’s not a roll racer against big v8

20. Joseph Spiegel

Joseph Spiegel United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

It’s a GT. By definition.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted