kia stinger store

What does the Kia Stinger need for the second generation?

AdamNZ

• Better engine (3.5), mainly for improved fuel economy and lower emissions. This would make it more viable in Europe (emissions) and overcome the limitations of the small fuel tank.
  • Digital dash. This is becoming standard in the price brackets it occupies, and is already available in the Hyundai/Kia parts bin.
  • Larger widescreen touch interface, as already found on other newer Hyundai/Kia products, preferably with wireless AA/Carplay and at least two USB ports.
  • Advanced convenience features like the ability to reverse the vehicle out of car parks using the remote control, and self-parking. Again, already available in their latest products.
  • Add the LSD (Limited Slip Differential) as an option to all AWD trims.
  • Re-design the doors so they extend down and completely cover the sills, preventing dirty trouser legs.
  • Remove the non-functional hood intakes.
  • Improve the quality of the paint.
However, as much as I would like to see these, if I were a Kia executive I would be pushing to drop the Stinger and focus on SUVs and EV.

The Stinger made business sense as a statement of intent nine years ago, but not now.

StingerLover

VA
A launch date!

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
A second gen is either going to maintain the retro looks and feel of the current Stinger, or it won't be a Stinger; it will be something with the name only. Two doors? There goes any rear seat practicality, along with the cavernous hatch. EV? There goes the GT capability (until recharging times and infrastructure competes equally with gasoline, there won't be any true GT EVs).

Details like in @AdamNZ 's list are not likely to make or break the Stinger, as long as the retro mystique of the Stinger continues to turn heads. If a redesign loses its way, however, the Stinger will be trying to be too many things for too many buyers and it will die.

shoengine

Double down on the design, fix the few irritations that have popped up with them since introduction that all the car rags keep reporting on, and do something interesting with it so it stands out more. Make the looks a bit more aggressive (I like removal of the non-functional intakes, though), and maybe emphasize Stinger over Kia, at least for onlookers (which I believe will play better in Europe). Not sure how the exhaust sounds (still driving an Optima for now, don't hate) but exhaust notes make a big impression on reviewers and gear-heads alike.

TimT

Digital dash, slightly updated engine and the software on the touchscreen interface needs a huge update, looks something worthy in a cheap Hyundai but not a premium Kia. Needs to aim for Mercedes / Audi levels of software quality. Bigger screen could be a thing too but I already like current size.

Kimberly Lazarski

Maine
Rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) in the AWD Stinger
UVO Link (ALL features esp. speed alert, geofencing, vehicle locating and remote lock/unlock. Remote start is a nice plus.)
WiFi hot spot (because it's just software if you have a wifi radio anyway)
Digital IP (since you have Audi's old designer... get him to design the UI. Google Earth FTW!) (blind spot cams a huge plus for safety for those of us with SO's who do not aim mirrors properly)
Widescreen infotainment screen for the Android Auto advanced UI
Android Auto + Carplay nav hinting in HUD (Waze, and Google Maps. Forget Apple Maps; no one should use Apple Maps. Ever.)
Integrated security cameras
GT3 trim with MUCH MOAR POWR and >=1.0G lateral acceleration
Did I mention UVO Link?

Last edited:

Kimberly Lazarski

Maine
Then you can filter it down through the line like GM does with the Corvette.

"Kia Forte GT w/Stinger-derived suspension tuning."

"Kia Telluride Sport w/Stinger-derived twin turbo V6 engine"
"Kia Telluride GT: Lowered luxury performance midsize SUV featuring engine from the Stinger GT3"

"Kia Optima GT w/Stinger-derived luxury sport seating and climate controls"

Learn how to capitalize on your halo car. Show you know how to make kickbutt products.
Give Audi S, Mercedes AMG, and BMW M a run for the money.

Last edited:

Flameangel

2500 Posts Club!
Geelong, Victoria
Digital Dash, bigger touchscreen and one that can go down into the dash when not needed,

Heated Rear seats for Oz Cars, ( here in Vic :thumbup: )

Self parking,

Improved paint on Cars,

Option of a factory Rear Spoiler that suits the sleek lines of the Stinger,

More interior colours for Oz Cars,

Latest Dash Cams as factory Standard.

Oh, and nearly forgot .... functional hood vents

Last edited:

SafetyPilotCal

I guess I'm the only person who DOESN'T want an all digital dash. I love analog instruments, and the Stinger might be the only car where I like the IP more than the one in my C5. I love the glow of the red glow of the needles especially. No all-digital cluster for me, please.

As for things I DO want:
  • To actually have a 2G Stinger.
  • 3.5TT V6.
  • Functional hood vents.
  • Wider infotainment screen ala the G90/Telluride.
  • Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.
  • OTA infotainment OS and navigation upgrades.
  • Factory remote start.
  • Air conditioned seats.
  • Bi-modal exhaust in the US.
  • Nice-to-have: Turn signal indicators on the HUD.
  • Nice-to-have: More autonomous self-driving mode for the interstate.
  • Nice-to-have: Infotainment-connected USB ports in the center console.
  • Stupid Nice-to-have: Control the color of the mini Stinger on the IP and 360 camera view.

MerlintheMad

Sustaining Member
West Jordan, Y00TAW
guess I'm the only person who DOESN'T want an all digital dash. I love analog instruments, and the Stinger might be the only car where I like the IP more than the one in my C5. I love the glow of the red glow of the needles especially. No all-digital cluster for me, please.
It feels that way. But I'm with you on this. And the other retro cues stay, too, or the regen will not be as much of a Stinger. Kia will make Stingers or change their plan and make something else. As long as the first item on your list happens none of this will have any impact on me.

Dan1028

Maryland
I guess I'm the only person who DOESN'T want an all digital dash. I love analog instruments, and the Stinger might be the only car where I like the IP more than the one in my C5. I love the glow of the red glow of the needles especially. No all-digital cluster for me, please.

As for things I DO want:
  • To actually have a 2G Stinger.
  • 3.5TT V6.
  • Functional hood vents.
  • Wider infotainment screen ala the G90/Telluride.
  • Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto.
  • OTA infotainment OS and navigation upgrades.
  • Factory remote start.
  • Air conditioned seats.
  • Bi-modal exhaust in the US.
  • Nice-to-have: Turn signal indicators on the HUD.
  • Nice-to-have: More autonomous self-driving mode for the interstate.
  • Nice-to-have: Infotainment-connected USB ports in the center console.
  • Stupid Nice-to-have: Control the color of the mini Stinger on the IP and 360 camera view.
You are not alone. The gauges as they are should remain analog. Digital dash is unnecessary.

My thoughts:
  • Better paint.
  • Eliminate/mitigate chassis flexure issues.
  • Eliminate brake pulsation issues.
  • Eliminate rear hatch rattle issue.
  • LSD (Limited Slip Differential) for all GT Stingers, AWD included.
  • Drift mode for all GT/1/2 AWD Stingers.
  • VSC full defeat feature.
  • Factory remote start.
  • A UVO app that works in the USA.
  • Easier to reach touchscreen.
  • Fake engine noise full defeat option.
  • Bi-modal exhaust option in the USA.
  • Delete auto speed wipers and replace with standard variable-select intermittent.
  • ISG (Idle Stop and Go) full defeat memory feature.
  • Keyless entry fob detection feature for seat, mirror, HVAC, etc. memory restore.
  • Slap shifter in addition to column paddles for all trims.
  • Separate analog boost gauge in the gauge cluster.
  • Additional HUD display options.
  • G-meter display in the HUD.
  • Stereo information in the HUD.
  • RPM information in the HUD.

Last edited:

Nasscar

1000 Posts Club!
Perth, Western Australia
All the talk about Kia and Australia is not of a second generation Stinger. We will be getting the new Stonic and Sorrento later this year. And a larger more off road based SUV is in the pipeline as well as a ute. Australia is all about SUVs and 4WD utes. It doesn't look promising for another Stinger.

Dan1028

Maryland
These upgrades would be awesome but the price will hike and will encroach into overpriced German car territory.
I'm not so sure. The things I listed they already have or offer in other markets, and other items they stock in different vehicle/model bins. I'd see it possible to effectuate those changes with minimal impact to price.