1. We're having a vote for the location of our upcoming KIA Stinger dot com StingerFest. Please CLICK HERE to cast your vote!
Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

What did you do to your Kia Stinger today?

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Richard Martinson, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Richard Martinson

Richard Martinson United States Member

With the Stinger's release right around the corner, Post pics and give updates of what you did to your Stinger. From a simple car wash to installing aftermarket items. Andddddd go!

• Like Like x 5
  2. Taimaishoo

Taimaishoo United States Active Member

I waited for my Stinger today. Yesterday, too! Probably tomorrow, as well! :p

You asked for it! LOL

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Kia Stinger

Kia Stinger United States Administrator Staff Member

Welcome aboard, @Richard Martinson! And thank you for signing up! I love these discussions on forums so I'm anxious to see this party started! Which Stinger are you planning to buy and what will it be replacing?

4. Richard Martinson

I'm up in the air on if I should go premium or GT1. Money is a little tight since I'm in the military, Lol. It will be replacing a 2011 VW CC. Had VW's all my life but the Stinger is too gorgeous to pass up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Kia Stinger

Thank you for your service, sir! Yes, I hear ya about money. It's tight here as well. I want/need the GT2 but I'm not 100% sure that's going to work. I'm a few months over a year on a brand new Accord so I'm not sure how that's going to work out. Worst case scenario I could always wait a bit. But I'm impatient over this car. I feel like I've been waiting for it since January. But I'm trying to avoid making bad purchase decisions...

In any event, the Volkswagen CC is very nice. I've owned a Jetta and two Passats in the past. And a friend just bought a new'ish Passat a few days ago. I test drove it with her and it was really impressive. Volkswagen really is strong German quality without the price tag...

• Like Like x 2
  6. ralzod

ralzod United States Active Member

In no way trying to dissuade you from the Stinger, but have you seen the VW Arteon? It's not a direct comparison, but will be VW's entry into the grown-up's hatchback market.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ballistic

ballistic United States Stinger Enthusiast Founding Member Sustaining Member

i like the arteon but i prefer the stinger's looks. is the arteon coming to the usa?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ralzod

ralzod United States Active Member

Europe always gets the first year. Will be in the US late-2018 as a '19 model.

9. Richard Martinson

I absolutely love the Arteon. I need a vehicle by March. I can't wait for the Arteon late summer release.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Skyguy

Skyguy Thailand Active Member

It’s a fantastic car. I test drove one. Pretty quick, but just not quick enough. Everything else is better than the Stinger, but more expensive too.

11. B Sharp

B Sharp United States Member

On the UK Stinger Configurator, you can select one of 6 exterior colors but they actually don’t give you any information on interior colors. Oddly, I might have felt better about random assignments of interior colors than the US mandatory option version where you can have red with black or black with red.

12. Brian Keenan

Brian Keenan United States Active Member Founding Member

What is "everything else"? Is this VW on par with what's coming from Audi and BMW?

13. Richard Martinson

It's rivals are the A5 Sportback, The Stinger, and the BMW 4 series

14. Kia Stinger

I'm curious about what he meant as well. If everything else about the Arteon is better than the Stinger, and the Stinger is being compared fairly closely to it's BMW and Audi rivals, does this mean the Arteon is on par with them - or perhaps better?

15. eljay

eljay United States Stinger Enthusiast

The Arteon is a 2.0 with maybe a little more power than the Stinger 2.0T. It was designed not to rise to the level of Audi, but to approach it and upgrade the VW image--kind of like Stinger is meant to do for Kia. Back when I was watching it, I wasn't thrilled by the reviews, as they made it sound competent but not exciting, but perhaps VW has changed things in the meantime.

16. Richard Martinson

I've followed the Arteon closely and it seems like the cosmetics of it just look amazing, and I agree. However, the performance of it is a tad disappointing. Not to the point where most buyers will be turned away, but car enthusiasts will definitely notice a difference in lets say the A5 Sportback or the Kia Stinger.

17. eljay

To bring this back to the original topic of the thread--kind of, as I'll digress--what did I do to my Stinger today? Nothing. Other than metaphorically beat my head against the hatch repeatedly.

I have spent my morning cursing a Kia rep under my breath. I got a message (from the underling the mgr. passed me on to) to come in and test drive the display model at one dealer, at any time starting today. I called back, only to find out that the red GT2 I'm willing to buy will stay in the showroom once it arrives, until they receive one or more additional GT2s--in other words, no test drive in it (not even on Tuesday, as I'd been promised earlier), no taking it home until they have more, and no timeline on when that will be. I asked about the test car, and he said it was a 4-cylinder, and I pointed out that won't exactly answer my big questions about the way the GT2 handles. (Since this retiree has never driven anything over 275 HP, I'm worried maybe it will be TOO powerful for me. That's unlikely, but hey, I need to be sure.) I soon determined that the test car is the one they've had on display for several weeks--a Korean spec. I told him I was dubious that this car was even street legal, and he got somewhat befuddled. I added that even if I could drive it, it's not like the U.S. spec cars. More befuddled.

I asked if white was coming in the next batch, and he didn't know, but only three GTs were coming to SoCal in this shipment; they are all red; and he didn't even think they had manufactured any white ones yet. I let this pass, and asked whether there was an alternate cash back offer to the 0% financing. He backed down on Wednesday's conversation and (I quote inaccurately) "um er, well, since it's a new model I can't really say if they'll do the 0%, or if there's a cash back, um, er." I told him I'd call later if I decided to do the test drive, but since it's the power and the torque I want to test, why bother? He also is supposed to let me know how long the wait will be for white.

I immediately called another, smaller dealer and was told indeed, the Korean specs cannot be taken out on the street (which we all knew anyway), and beyond that, she doesn't know when their GT2 will be in or what colors are available, but she will call me immediately when she finds out. Not helpful, but I tend to believe she's at least honest in her ignorance.

If I believe them, it appears that mostly 4-cylinders are coming in. I'm beginning to believe that, as proposed on another thread, they don't really want to sell these, at least not the GT2s, but just use them to draw folks in to gawk and then buy other models.

18. Kia Stinger

Well, all I can say is - I think you'll be very comfortable with the power in the 3.3 liter twin turbo V6. It won't be too powerful for you because the car holds the road really well and it won't feel "dangerous". So my guess is you'll be very happy with having the power there if and when you need it. It's kind of a cool novelty having all that power. But most of the time you'll just cruise along happy to know it's there... As for everything else you wrote, I'm taking a step back because I don't want to stress myself out thinking about how poorly Kia is handling this whole Stinger launch...

19. eljay

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'll love it, even not pushing it anywhere near its limits. (No one wants another "Little Old Lady from Near-Pasadena" burning up the roads! :p) And I'm vowing to talk to no one other than GMs from here on--not that they know much more, or they'd be properly training the reps they pass Stinger buyers on to. :( I'll just relax, take the GP in for a fluid check and a wash, pray I don't need to replace a tire; other than that, it happens when it happens. Maybe this was just meant to make me hold out for the snow white pearl.

20. Richard Martinson

BUMP! Lets get this going!

• Winner Winner x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted