Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

What did everyone put down on their Stinger lease?

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by Chris W, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Chris W

Chris W United States Newish Member

Looking at getting a 2019 GT2 AWD as soon as I find one in my color and options. Just curious what the average person put down on their Stinger lease?

It's been a while since I leased so I don't remember what I put down but I know it wasn't much or maybe it was nothing, no clue.

I have no plans to do the "lease then immediately buy" move, I'm sure in 3 years I'll want the next fun toy that catches my eye.

BTW, I'm in Massachusetts,

2. brancky3

brancky3 United States Active Member

Sales tax ($500) and first months payment.

3. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

My personal suggestion is to never put any money down on a lease as it gets you nothing. You have no interest in the asset. Further, you are out that cash should the car be a total loss very early on.

For example, put down 5K to lower payments, that is great. Kia covers GAP on the lease. Drive off the lot and total the car on day 2. Insurance company gonna pay off the GAP to Kia. Good luck getting your 5K back at that point.

Keep the 5K and draw it down over time to assist with monthly payments. Also keeps the money liquid for unknown items that pop up. Better yet, invest it and let it earn you money while you draw it down.

Again, just my 2 cents

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. BlaydeX15

BlaydeX15 United States Active Member

I put 1k down because that was my equity in my old car, it got me under the magic number that my Wife said I couldn't exceed, so it was well worth the potential loss. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  5. TwistedOrca

TwistedOrca United States Active Member

Too much, damn student loans kill ur credit ratio.

6. Roarbomb

Roarbomb United States Member

12k with 3.5 trade-in

7. Chris W

You put down 12k?

8. Roarbomb

Roarbomb United States Member

12k down payment yes. my trade in was 3.5k.

I am by no means rich, but i had just saved really well for a bit.

EDIT: I just read that this was for lease, mine was not leased. My bad, reading is hard when you first wake up.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Chris W

Oh, 12K down makes sense but not for a lease.. Either way you get to enjoy your baby.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  10. Chris W

Did the dealership recommend a minimum amount or did you just tell them right from the start what you were putting down? Also, when you were negotiating the price Stinger's price, did you tell them you would be leasing or waited until you got your price??

11. Mach_Tuck

Mach_Tuck United States 1000 Posts Club!

Ha ha. Nice. Well...i had not considered the "wife factor"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. StungBlueGT2

StungBlueGT2 United States Stinger Enthusiast

Its been a while but I used to sell cars here in FL. I completely second Mach_tuck’s statement and DONT put money down on a lease unless you absolutely have to. First payment only, and maybe TTT if required.

I could give a long detailed explanation but will try to keep it short. The main purpose of a lease is simply to get a more expensive car for a significantly smaller monthly payment.

This is achieved by basically paying to rent the car for the first 24-48m term instead of paying for the whole vehicle. Since you’re not building equity to own it putting any money down on a lease is essentially a waste.

You may put money down as ”capital cost reduction” to lower the monthly payments, but if the lease payment is too high with $0 down then you’re probably over budget anyway.

Here’s a tip to get a very general idea of vehicle cost vs monthly payments for basic financing. 60m@$20-25/m per $1000 financed. $50k=About $1000/m with standard interest. Leases are much more difficult to determine, but one easy way to compare is using lease calculators. Most manufacturers websites have their own and I was able to use Kia’s to get within $30/m of my actual OTD on my GT2. Here’s an example of a 2019 GT2 for 60m finance vs 48m lease both with $0 down.
    78B5F7FF-711A-4B18-B99A-54CF88A804C0.png
    Financing is typically 50% more monthly than leasing so you can get a lot more car for the money even with $0 down.

This will give you an idea of what you can budget for a lease without having to put money down on a “rental”.:thumbup:

My only out of pocket was first payment and $179 registration, but still got my 2018 GT2 for about $550m+tax!

Hope this helps and hope you join our Stinger family ASAP!:D

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dmchristie1

Dmchristie1 United States Member

Maxed out 5k on credit card to get points.
    Paid off lease ASAP and pocketed the lease cash.

14. Waynerm002

Waynerm002 United States 1000 Posts Club!

First month’s payment.

• Like Like x 1
  15. twig2121

twig2121 United States Member

I like the idea of getting credit card points for the downpayment knowing you'll payoff immediately.

I put $0 down and will buy it out within 3mos (have an appointment next week - you have to do it at a dealer in PA...). I agree with the others, you don't want to put any money down if you can help it on a lease. Only exception is if you buy it out soon after, then it's a wash

16. Brandon V

Brandon V United States Newish Member

If you planned to buyout the whole time, did you say "10,000" or annual miles when you set up lease? It looks like it would save a little in monthly payment.

17. Doel

Doel United States Active Member

absolutely use a credit card for a down payment, I think just about every dealership will take one. I put 5k on my 2% cashback card, free gas for.... 2 weeks :cry:

18. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 2500 Posts Club!

I planned to go the full 36 months. Then I joined this forum and saw @Mach_Tuck's buyout thread (it's still the longest one). Lease then Buyout - Contract Explanation And I comprehended enough to change my mind and buyout. My original annual miles was set at the max of 15K. (Heh! obviously not enough by more than a skosh, since I already have c. 13K after less than eight months in.) That raised my monthly payment from c. $550 to over $600. I made two monthly payments after the initial payment; and estimated that taking that long to buyout cost me c. $400; but I saved well over $4,000 by not paying 33 more months on the lease.

To directly answer the OP: nothing down.

19. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

if you are planning on buying out the lease then a down payment will not hurt, if not then try to go put nothing down.

20. Brandon V

Brandon V United States Newish Member

Thoughts on this lease offer? Sorry for bad quality. Should I put money down? I am planning on doing a buyout to own after 1-2 months.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted