Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

What are these spots in my engine bay

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Exterior Discussion' started by jsrob905, Dec 2, 2019 at 2:48 PM.

1. jsrob905

jsrob905 United States Member

20191202_142919.jpg found these off white specs under the hood. Any ideas??? I've tried cleaning it with no luck. I had it at the dealership a month ago and hate to admit this is the first time I've looked under the hood since my visit.

2. CKeeler

CKeeler United States Active Member

That looks like a coolant spill.

3. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

Pretty hard to tell from the picture - what did the dealership do during your last visit?

If you can't clean it off, it's either something that is extremely well adhered to that surface, or was corrosive and etched the plastic. Have a look with a magnifying glass and you should be able to tell which it is. If the former, you might be able to find a cleaning solution that will dissolve it without harming the plastic underneath.

Drop by the dealer and let them know it showed up after you last visit - see if they have an explanation.

4. Snatchell

Snatchell United States Member

WOW! That looks terrible. I'd do what SteveCo said and look at it with a magnifying glass... If it's a surface stain - I'd take the plastic part off and start with WD-40 and a toothbrush to see if you can remove the crud. If so then get it off - then wash it in your bathtub with soap and water then use a good plastic protectant like https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR-Protectant-Plastic-Fiberglass/dp/B00KN0UOEE

If it's etched in - get a new shroud...

5. jsrob905

Thanks for the advice everyone. All they did was an oil change but I dont know where else it could have come from as it's not on the paint so I have a hard time believing it came from driving.

6. Typeface

Typeface Australia Member

it's spatter, like something exploded and is moving away from the engine hence the drops are long, like a murder scene except not blood, the fact there is non on the hood latch or engine says to me the plastic wasn't on the car when it happened or surely it would of been everywhere and on the bonnet/hood lid underneath... strange.

7. Capecod

Capecod United States Active Member

Wonder if the tech spilled something last service, can you tell if the splatter would have made it as far forward if the hood was closed?
    Doesn't look to me like it could have made it this fare forward closed.

upload_2019-12-2_16-11-33.png

8. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

Did you have a look at the fan, is it clean?

9. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

and is there any splatter on the underside of the hood ??

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jsrob905

Agreed about not making it that far forward closed because there is a rubber seal just behind the hood latch. There is hardly any residue on the underside of the hood and what is there looks like a contact stain. Fan looks clean but I have not taken a flashlight to it. No magnifying glass yet either but I could scratch some of it off with my finger nail but st that rate it would take days to clea .

• Like Like x 1
  11. moinmoin

moinmoin Stinger Enthusiast

If on hand,
    I'd try a paste made from baking soda,
    or car polishing compound (the lighter version)
    or goop,
    or drive by a local body shop and ask them
    or a car finishing supply store...
    If your fingernails can take it off, there is a good chance you won't need to buy a new shroud.
    Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Rango

Rango United States Stinger Enthusiast

That shroud had to be off the car when this happened. Bet during the oil change, the shop took it off for some reason and set it on the ground. Then someone splattered something on it. I say this because all push pins are totally clean.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

The plastic rivets have a different strength and deformation requirement, and are likely made from a different plastic material than the top shroud. They may not have reacted with the substance that affected the shroud, and/or cleaned up easily when the OP tried to address it.

14. Rango

Still ... from the pics, its hard to explain why the shroud only was affected. No evidence on the engine, hood liner or anywhere else I can see. My assumption stands ... the shroud must have been off.

15. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 5000 Posts Club!

columbo.jpg ................ahhhhhhhh ! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rango

Lumbo baby !!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. niko

niko United States Stinger Enthusiast

i have the same spots on mine but mine r from goo off. when i had the hood open when i was taking off the front emblem it splatter on there. won't go away fml

18. jsrob905

I've contact the dealer and sent photos. We shall see what they say.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jsrob905

.......nothing from the dealer 1.5 days later. Now I'm getting frustrated.

20. Rango

Maybe just spray paint it gloss black. Would look better than the OEM if ya do it right. Save ya from a dealer headache.

• Like Like x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted