Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Wet Floor

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by sym, Jun 26, 2019.

1. sym

sym United States Active Member

More or less by chance, I lifted my Tuxmats only to find that the floor in the passenger and driver's side were absolutely soaked.

Not sure how long this has been happening, but it only happens when the car is exposed to water (e.g. not just running A/C). I took my car to a car wash today (and it wasn't raining) and the same thing happened.

Here's the catch - I added cables running through the firewall grommets on both the passenger and driver side. But I've double checked both of them and there wasn't any sign of water near either. And even if it is the grommets, the amount of water that got in seemed like way too much to seep through.

I'm suspecting either a sunroof or a windshield wiper drainage issue, but I haven't found any literature on either of them. I changed my cabin air filter today and found a bunch of (surprisingly intact) leaf fragments, so debris could totally be an issue.

If you have Tuxmats / Weathertech mats it might be worth checking out, because I'm not sure how long this has been going on. And if anyone knows where the drains are / how to clean them, I'd appreciate it.

2. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

smell closely for mold ..............dry it 100% , I would have an ozone treatment to make sure any possible mold is killed .................cuz mold kills people !

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly United Kingdom Member

But not penicillin

4. Callum

Callum United States Stinger Enthusiast

FWIW - I went through a touchless car wash and felt some water spray my ankle. I reached down and it was very, very little. I could not feet any on the carpet, but a few light drops on my foot

I've never had water intrusion when raining, but the water came in right as the jets passed by the fender/door gap

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

Have you checked after it rains? If normal precip doesn't admit water to your floors, but a carwash does, then I'm guessing that door seals (both sides) are somehow defective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. sym

I ended up checking out the interior door stripping. It was lifted in a few parts, but the worst offender was near the passenger side kick panel. The panel wasn't seated right and the weather stripping wasn't covering the gap between the kick panel and the glove box trim. I got everything seated correctly and I drove through some light rain today, no wetness.

I took this panel off when I installed the remote start, so that was probably my issue. I'll update this thread if it still happens.

• Like Like x 1
  7. sym

Ugh. This is frustrating.

So I've 100% confirmed it's not the grommets. Just looking at where they are positioned in the engine compartment, no water gets anywhere near them. So I can check that off the list.

It rained today and my floors are damp again. I hadn't driven today so clearly this has something to do with some seals. I can't even identify where the water is coming in so it makes it hard to isolate where to start looking. I'm going to clean all of the door weatherstripping, interior and exterior, and apply some of the Honda silicone grease.

On top of all of this, I noticed the water ingress shortly after getting the car back from the body shop after I got rear ended.

8. sym

I put it inside to dry and noticed some water pooled in the sunroof tray. I have the KGIS manuals but I can't find any information on the sunroof drain locations or cleaning procedures. If anyone has any information that would be great.

9. MIGULZZ

MIGULZZ United States Member

I believe the dealer should be able to unclog the drains, I don't have a sunroof but I refer local customers to dealer for sunroof being clogged.

Draft saved Draft deleted