Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Water inside the doors

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Interior Discussion' started by nhsjpeterson, Nov 15, 2018.

1. nhsjpeterson

nhsjpeterson United States Member

Although I bought my GT2 in July, I hardly every drove it until the past few days, and had never driven it in wet conditions or washed it.

Until now. The last two days have been very wet and I've been on the highways quite a bit. When I open the doors, there is water/mud in the 'door sills' (not sure what the correct term is).

I've can't remember ever seeing this on my other cars -- water coming up from the pavement and getting inside the door (from car washes, yes, but not from wet pavement).

Is this normal? I had my car wrapped early on -- is it possible they didn't put the doors back on correctly?

2. MerlintheMad

MerlintheMad United States 5000 Posts Club!

I just call that area the "bottom/lower doorways". Whatever gets the discussion going. :D

Mud? Really? I get lots of dried on water spots with some very light dirt mixed in.

If your doors were taken off to wrap, that is the first I've heard of that being done. And if your doors were off and put back on incorrectly, you'd have a lot of other issues: rattles, squeaks, yooge wind noise, etc.

The water from the road/car wash does not get past the door seals. That's all that matters. When I wash my car, I open the doors and wipe out the "lower doorways".

3. ShannonC

ShannonC Australia Stinger Enthusiast

I've noticed the sills become quite dusty and wet and think this is probably due to Stinger design. As long as nothing gets past the seals it's not a big issue just a pain to keep clean.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Ucinn

Ucinn United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Yes, this is normal, my Mustang is the same...as long as it's not getting in the car (past the weather stripping) you're good. I just clean it off when I clean the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. robz32

robz32 United States 1000 Posts Club! Staff Member Moderator Texas Stinger Swarm

That is normal. All cars suffer from this, some more than others but they all do.

6. washguy

washguy United States Stinger Enthusiast

My virgin red gal got hosed by a dump truck running thru water....streets were dry but there was some water standing from what I dunno...I scooted two lanes over to miss the water,but a big ol dump truck hit the water so hard it hosed the drivers side down.....so just now I go out there and use some detail spray to get the big ol yellowish muddy spots off the side...and I open the door and ill be dammned theres those big ol dirt spots in the front door jam and the rear jams on the bottoms....so this proves that water doesn't even have to be on the street to get inside the doors....it just ran in from the splash off the dump truck.....what kinda silly azz design is this? daaamn should have taken pics........Wash

7. westcoastGT

westcoastGT 2500 Posts Club!

Member Moinmoin has the solution ...........................I'm sure he'll pick this up soon !

8. CaliSting

CaliSting United States Stinger Enthusiast

Yes mine collects ton of water and mud too. Much worse than most cars have owned. Poor design. However not a big deal just a pain as I always clean it.

9. oddball

oddball United States Member

You should also know that the inside of the door is a "wet" zone. Water is *expected* to come into the door past the window sweep. That's why there's a plastic shield between the inside of the door and the door panel. The door drains out the bottom - onto the sill.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

A fairly common one, I think - I've had it on other vehicles as well. Just takes a different cleaning technique - opening the doors to clean the sills and door frame when cleaning the rest of the car.

Probably not something that is even noticed in drier climates - but with our 'full' four season weather, that area gets regular attention from me ... ;)

The primary door seal is further inboard, so the interior of the car is still very well protected against water penetration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MerlintheMad

I wipe my doors out, last thing as I wash my car: the four sills take less than three minutes if I am taking my time. Looks like a deliberate design approach to me; not some stupid oversight.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. andrew tay

andrew tay Australia Member

I mentioned that in my previous post that the door speakers could get wet because of that and since they are made of paper cones I don't think they will last very long in places that rain a lot.

13. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

I don't see how the recessed door seals used on this and many other modern cars would have anything to do with the speakers getting wet - they don't expose the interior of the door to any additional points of ingress.

14. Sime

Sime Australia Member

My 2014 Cerato has this issue also, haven’t owned the GT long enough to know if it’s got an issue.

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. NS_Stinger

NS_Stinger Canada Stinger Enthusiast

I'm guessing the functional vents behind the front wheels are a big contributor to this issue.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. MerlintheMad

??? I don't even see streaking along the side of my front doors from the brake vents. How could any moisture from there get into the door sills?

17. NS_Stinger

Oh i don't know maybe because dirt and water gets kicked from the front tires directly into that vent which just happens to exit directly in front of the panel gap that leads into the doors.

I DD my car at the moment in the winter and can tell you a ton of salt and road filth gets thrown through those vents.

18. MerlintheMad

The amount of water spotting in the front door sills is the same as the rear doors. I don't see any "dirt" in the front sills.

19. NS_Stinger

So to be clear, this exit from the front tire area which gets water and road debris kicked directly into it from the front tires and leads directly into the front door panel gap plays no part in the dirt and debris in the door panels? Can't say I agree at all with you on that.

2018-Kia-Stinger-GT-side-vent.jpg

20. MerlintheMad

I just never noticed anything like that. I've wiped out my door sills each time I wash my car. The amount of spotting in the sills is the same. In fact I haven't seen any accumulation of grit just aft of the vents either. Where the car gets really dirty really fast is the rear bumper and diffuser. It takes one drive is all, and dust and grit adheres to the rear like nowhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted