kia stinger store

Vacuum Leak? Check your catch can

ecko04

Stinger Enthusiast
I was recently having issues with a P0507 code (RPM Higher Than Expected).

My idle was around 900-1000 RPM; my only mods were an ADD W1 Dual Inlet Catch Can and Stillen Intake.

Cleared the code, it would return like clockwork. When I turned the AC on the idle would drop to 650-700 RPM but AC off idle would remain around 900-1000 RPM. Well off the typical idle of around 600-700 RPM.

I could hear a vacuum leak but couldn’t locate it anywhere. I tried spraying the vacuum hoses with WD40 hoping to identify the leak, I couldn’t find anything. I went old school and blew cigar smoke into one of the vacuum lines hoping to find something, I couldn’t find anything.

Finally at my wits end, I decided to try to rule out the catch can, so I disconnected the vacuum lines and installed the factory lines. Fired the car back up and boom, 650 RPM rock solid idle.

So the issue is the catch can, I examine it and couldn’t find any issues.

I took off the vacuum lines and low and behold, the check valves were no longer functioning. The bearings in the valves broke away.

This is with the ADD W1 Dual Inlet Catch Can v3.3. So if you’re experiencing a vacuum leak, or have a higher than normal idle, check your catch can’s check valves. I have reported the issue and ordered some stronger check valves.

Catch can was ordered on May 4, 2019 so less than a month for check valve failure.

And yes, the check valves were installed the correct way with the arrows away from the catch can as the directions state.

Attachments

• CEA491A6-C78B-4006-B7F9-D689335CB9E7.jpeg
    CEA491A6-C78B-4006-B7F9-D689335CB9E7.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 3783B64E-1A38-4409-B016-00D360632C5F.jpeg
    3783B64E-1A38-4409-B016-00D360632C5F.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 45
  • B1A7B1A2-BB9C-409D-B4F6-9BD15762D961.jpeg
    B1A7B1A2-BB9C-409D-B4F6-9BD15762D961.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 46
  • EE9546BC-08A6-41A7-803E-58B5FBF0BC06.jpeg
    EE9546BC-08A6-41A7-803E-58B5FBF0BC06.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

terrelltechsup

San Antonio, Texas
Those are the same check valves on the 3.3 version. Wow. Wonder where the bearings went.....

ecko04

Stinger Enthusiast
Those are the same check valves on the 3.3 version. Wow. Wonder where the bearings went.....

Luckily, they were caught by the can so at least it did its job in that regard. But they’re super tiny, probably wouldn’t have caused any damage if they were sucked through.

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver

My idle was around 900-1000 RPM; my only mods were an ADD W1 Dual Inlet Catch Can and Stillen Intake.

Cleared the code, it would return like clockwork. When I turned the AC on the idle would drop to 650-700 RPM but AC off idle would remain around 900-1000 RPM. Well off the typical idle of around 600-700 RPM.

I could hear a vacuum leak but couldn’t locate it anywhere. I tried spraying the vacuum hoses with WD40 hoping to identify the leak, I couldn’t find anything. I went old school and blew cigar smoke into one of the vacuum lines hoping to find something, I couldn’t find anything.

Finally at my wits end, I decided to try to rule out the catch can, so I disconnected the vacuum lines and installed the factory lines. Fired the car back up and boom, 650 RPM rock solid idle.

I took off the vacuum lines and low and behold, the check valves were no longer functioning. The bearing in the valves broke away.

This is with the ADD W1 Dual Inlet Catch Can. So if you’re experiencing a vacuum leak, or have a higher than normal idle, check your catch can’s check valves. I have reported the issue and ordered some stronger check valves.

Catch can was ordered on May 4, 2019 so less than a month for check valve failure.

And yes, the check valves were installed the correct way with the arrows away from the catch can as the directions state.
What does ADD W1 say about this?

RUFFSTUFF

Stinger Enthusiast
Jacksonville Area
Thanks for the info... Just ordered this setup. Hopefully it's not a production issue, now at least now we have something to go on.

Thanks again!

ecko04

Stinger Enthusiast
What does ADD W1 say about this?

They’re sending me new check valves. Hopefully my experience is isolated. I doubt I’ll use the replacement valves. I’ve already gotten with a company to develop lines with NPT fittings and 500 psi check valves so I’ll never have to be concerned about this issue again.

cncBilly

1000 Posts Club!
North Vancouver
They’re sending me new check valves. Hopefully my experience is isolated. I doubt I’ll use the replacement valves. I’ve already gotten with a company to develop lines with NPT fittings and 500 psi check valves so I’ll never have to be concerned about this issue again.
I installed my ADD W1 on Monday....no problems. Thanks for pointing this out, if a problem occurs I'll have a starting point to look. Cheers

Jakestinger

Newish Member
What company did you get with to get this made ?

BOSSHOG

I took off the vacuum lines and low and behold, the check valves were no longer functioning. The bearings in the valves broke away.

This is with the ADD W1 Dual Inlet Catch Can v3.3. So if you’re experiencing a vacuum leak, or have a higher than normal idle, check your catch can’s check valves. I have reported the issue and ordered some stronger check valves.

hahaha CRAZY!! I just posted the same problem on my 2019 Stinger GTS 3.3, the exact same issues (Po507 code & all). Can you please tell me where you purchased replacement check valves for my ADD W/1 Catch can. I have right now the same exact problem on my 2019 Kia Stinger GTS 3.3tt. Same exact issues as yours. driving me crazy so when Jeff Simmons identified the problem for me & pointed me to your post as was ecstatic. Thank you Jeff & thank you ecko04, I look forward to your reply. workofartlandscape@gmail.com

ecko04

Stinger Enthusiast
hahaha CRAZY!! I just posted the same problem on my 2019 Stinger GTS 3.3, the exact same issues (Po507 code & all). Can you please tell me where you purchased replacement check valves for my ADD W/1 Catch can. I have right now the same exact problem on my 2019 Kia Stinger GTS 3.3tt. Same exact issues as yours. driving me crazy so when Jeff Simmons identified the problem for me & pointed me to your post as was ecstatic. Thank you Jeff & thank you ecko04, I look forward to your reply. workofartlandscape@gmail.com
That’s crazy — they’re still using the same junk. Those check valves are a point of failure. I picked up replacements from McMaster-Carr. I went with 2 Compact Backflow-Prevention valves and a handful of 3/8 Male NPT straight to 1/2” barb fittings.

While you’re at it, those ball bearings had to go somewhere. Hopefully, yours ended up in your catch can like mine, but to be on the safe side, I suggest removing your intakes and looking at the turbine wheels. If any are damaged (e.g., bent or broken), then a dealership visit needs to be in your immediate future.

FYI, even though I fixed the problem with new valves since I didn’t trust the replacement valves from ADD and because I was told they were shipped, but I never received them, I ended up ditching that catch can setup altogether and bought a Mishimoto.

FYI, even though I fixed the problem with new valves since I didn’t trust the replacement valves from ADD and because I was told they were shipped, but I never received them, I ended up ditching that catch can setup altogether and bought a Mishimoto.

Jakestinger

Newish Member
B93B0B90-A32C-489D-A4F4-559DAF66EB7E.jpeg
The ADDW1 check valves don’t use ball bearings, just this tiny rubber flap which will pass through your intake manifold and also pass through the turbocharger. 4 of them failed on me, don’t trust these valves . I prefer the bms occ it’s worry free

Attachments

• 8953594A-8ED4-4664-9C08-1E79A39FCE07.jpeg
    8953594A-8ED4-4664-9C08-1E79A39FCE07.jpeg
    157.5 KB · Views: 5

ecko04

Stinger Enthusiast
The ADDW1 check valves don’t use ball bearings, just this tiny rubber flap which will pass through your intake manifold and also pass through the turbocharger. 4 of them failed on me, don’t trust these valves . I prefer the bms occ it’s worry free
The initial ADDw1 v3.3 did use ball bearings—cheap ones, but ball bearings nonetheless.
Based on your pictures, they have changed the design to use those rubber flaps, which don't seem to hold up any better.
I have no opinion on the BMS OCC.

Jakestinger

Newish Member
This is what the company told me back in March so I guess their working on new revised check valves that won’t fail so easily

Attachments

• E43CA18F-E929-4B47-A0E4-B90FDC073250.png
    E43CA18F-E929-4B47-A0E4-B90FDC073250.png
    597 KB · Views: 12

robz32

Texas Stinger Swarm
Houston, TX
I've no issues with my SXTH Element catch cans after 2 years and 25k miles
That’s crazy — they’re still using the same junk. Those check valves are a point of failure. I picked up replacements from McMaster-Carr. I went with 2 Compact Backflow-Prevention valves and a handful of 3/8 Male NPT straight to 1/2” barb fittings.

While you’re at it, those ball bearings had to go somewhere. Hopefully, yours ended up in your catch can like mine, but to be on the safe side, I suggest removing your intakes and looking at the turbine wheels. If any are damaged (e.g., bent or broken), then a dealership visit needs to be in your immediate future.

ecko04

Stinger Enthusiast
Mine failed at stock boost levels.
They can't seem to get it right, and it's terrible that a $100 preventative maintenance device can potentially cause thousands of dollars in damage. The risk/reward is not there for the v3.3 ADD catch can.