Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

Used Stinger GT Market Info

Discussion in 'How to Buy a Kia Stinger' started by Sabs, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Sabs

Sabs United States Member

This thread is to discuss used Stinger GT's and track pricing. The idea is to 1) help existing owners get an idea of their resale value, and 2) aid future buyers in determining market prices.

If you've traded in your Stinger or purchased a used one, please post here with pricing details, trim level, and color.

I'll regularly update the chart below with pricing info. Note that these numbers are only estimates based on list prices (not final sale prices) from U.S. consumer platforms like Autotrader and Cars.com. I'll do my best to exclude cars with accident histories or unusual wear from the prices.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. eflyguy

eflyguy United States 2500 Posts Club!

Please add your location to your member profile.

3. Logic717

Logic717 United States Member

Watching this thread. I'm one of those that hopes to buy an off lease in a little over a year. Goal would be 19GT1 or 18GT2

4. Buzz

Buzz United States Member

This is interesting and kind of what I suspected when I got a GT-Null.

The cherry-on-top features of the GT1 and GT2 will depreciate quickly, but the 6 Cyl TT will drive the value. That said they are all going to be really-really compelling sub 30k cars. The performance you get for that + the GT2 level features you will be able to get for 3-5k extra will be insane. I look forward to what happens in the tuner market at that point.

5. Dave E

Dave E United States Member

I am going to be in the market for a 2018 GT in about a year. What confuses me most about the used prices is people are buying a brand new GT using the lease trick for like 34k. How are the used prices the same or higher? So far the lowest GT i found was 33k, sometimes asking price as high as 38k. I wonder if they will drop significantly right before 2020

6. Sabs

I believe only a small portion of Stinger shoppers know of the lease trick. Those of us on this forum don’t necessarily represent the majority of Stinger buyers - we’re more likely to do online research by being the type to register for a discussion forum.

Plenty of car buyers stroll into a dealership knowing little or nothing about they’ll end up buying. Most that do have a car in mind at most watched a couple YouTube videos and read an article or two that came up at the top of the google search results.

So, I think that dealerships list their used GT’s for 15-20% off MSRP and the average shopper assumes that’s a nice deal. The cars end up selling at that price, and prices don’t need to be dropped any lower to move cars off the lots.

I personally don’t think there will be good value in buying used Stingers until the lease returns begin at the 2 year, and more so the 3 year mark. That is, as long as the lease deals keep up, which seems likely. Either a lot of lease cash or a great MF is needed to keep lease rates from being less competitive than they already are. Kia seems to prefer lease cash over a low MF.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dave E

Very good points, what price point do you think we would be able to pick up a 2 yr old GT for? 25k? It will be interesting to see what happens

8. Doel

Doel United States 1000 Posts Club!

I bought my GT1 in October for 37k, guess it's worth about the same still? Works for me.

9. Sabs

This will be a long post – I decided to dig into the numbers and make some predictions.

First, looking at the residuals for Stinger GT leases, the value is estimated at 51-55% MSRP after 3 years. In other words, GT2’s have been estimated by Kia to be worth around $26.5k; GT’s around $21k.

Personally, I think the residuals will be way off.

I can see where Kia came up with the numbers – for many Kia models like the Optima, they would be accurate. Same goes for some competing luxury cars.

For example, the Hyundai Genesis/G80 get recommended as a great used car value. The 2015 Genesis V6 fully loaded topped out around $50k, similar to the Stinger GT2. At the 3 year mark, many were for sale under 60% of their original value. Now we’re past the 4 year mark and there are plenty available below 50% of original MSRP.

As good as the Genesis/G80 is, the demand isn’t high for it. Unlike the Stinger, it sold as many as 3,200 in a month. They were offered as luxury class rentals from Avis and the like, which brought a lot of used supply to the market.

Perhaps Kia used cars such as the Genesis along with their own lineup to come up with the residual numbers. What I don’t think they accounted for is enthusiasts.

We’ve seen what popularity with enthusiasts can do to the value of performance cars. It’s not even necessary to look back to the NSX and Supra of the 90’s.

The 1M is a special case, but an interesting one. The 1M has been seen selling for more than its original MSRP at 8 years of age. Of course, BMW has motorsports heritage and the 1M was only produced for the 2011 model year. Still, it’s interesting to see what supply and demand can do to the values of even recently produced cars.

Another discontinued model popular with enthusiasts, the Chevy SS, certainly bucked the trend of poor sedan resale value for a GM. The Chevy SS kept around 80% of its value after 2 years, and 70% after 3 years.

More relevantly, I’ll look to some cars still in production. The Audi S3 and BMW M2 are popular with enthusiasts and continue to be available new. The S3 has kept about 78% of its value after 2 years; 70% after 3 years. The M2 is a recent addition which has kept about 79% after 2 years.

Lets look at another example from Dodge. Kia’s cars, on average, are more reliable than the general public thinks – perhaps the opposite of Dodge's cars. Still, enough people know about the track record and dealer discounts of Dodge that resale values are below average on much of their lineup.

However, that isn’t the case with the Charger SRT 392. Like the Chevy SS, it’s one of the few spacious and powerful sedans recently produced. It’s a relatively low-volume car and its popularity with enthusiasts has held up its resale. As with my other examples, the 2015 Charger SRT 392 was worth about 70% of MRSP after 3 years.

We’re at the point where Kia’s cars are at least as reliable, but in many cases more so, than the average car. Much of the typical Kia depreciation in the past was due to poor brand perception.

At this point, I think there are plenty of enthusiasts out there that realize the Stinger is both reliable and a good performance car, and thus a good value. For that reason, I personally don’t believe typical Kia depreciation will set in on the Stinger GT. Rather, I think the resale values will be closer to performance cars from other brands.

Now, there are a few factors that might make the Stinger’s resale value fall a bit short of my previous examples:

· Kia’s dealership promos are better than what you’ll find for the other cars I gave as an example. Even for shoppers that don’t do a lease buyout, there are some pretty good discounts off MSRP along with conquest/loyalty rebates. This impacts the “driven off the lot” value.

· The Stinger isn’t available with a manual transmission, while all of my examples are. Automatic versions of those cars sell pretty closely in price, but aren’t as sought after.

· This is the first car of its type from Kia, which may affect the price dealers are willing to pay at auction.

· If the market value of the Stinger is far above the residual at lease turn-in, owners will be more likely to do an end of lease buyout. They'll pocket a good amount of cash even if they price their cars below market value. Enough people do this, and it'll bring down the average a bit.

· New models like the G70 and Supra could prove to be more popular, taking away some interest on the resale market.

All that said, here’s what I’m thinking about future resale values:

Stinger GT at 2 years/end of 2019: $31k average. Cars in certain locations, those with higher mileage, or poorly kept cars may been seen in the high $20k range.

Stinger GT at 3 years/end of 2020: $28k average. The 2020 model will be on dealership lots, but I expect changes to be minimal. If this seems high, note that 3 year old STI’s have sold around $30k on an MSRP of $40k.

Stinger GT2 at 2 years/end of 2019: $37.5k average. There are already a couple used GT2’s available near this price, but as an average this is where I think we’ll be. Keep in mind some ’18 leftovers will only have been driven 1 year at this point.

Stinger GT2 at 3 years/end of 2020: $34k average. A bold claim to be making. This is about $7k or 15% above the residual. With what I’ve found, though, I just don’t think we’ll see the average price drop to $30k at this point - barring huge gas price increases and/or a recession.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sabs

Here's a listing for a GT2 RWD in Ceramic Silver for $36,500 with two sets of wheels and tires. Lowest price I've seen, though it's from a private seller. Lower tax in Illinois where the seller resides, but the powertrain warranty would be reduced. H

11. Buzz

Buzz United States Member

Yeah I have a feeling that the GT2 - GT (with tech package) price gap will close quick in the first two years, I don't think the GT2 will maintain anything like a 7k spread... probably more like a 1-5k spread, the V6TT is going to drive the pricing, not the fairly modest features found in the GT2 considering how comprehensive and near standard the tech package was (Which I could see maintaining most of the value). Sunroofs rarely sell well on the used market (They often become a liability with age), nor 16 way lumbar... In the end I don't think people are going to be paying thousands premium in the used market for a HUD and electronic OEM suspension.

For this specific car I feel the divisive red seats (extra lumbar support or no) arent going to drive pricing up much either at this price point, but boy is that ceramic a great color.

12. Logic717

Logic717 United States Member

I've been watching this pretty closely the past few months and I agree with the post above. GT pricing has been pretty close especially the GT and GT1 but I think the GT2 will dictate overall pricing of all 3. GT1 still remains the best value based on what I'm seeing but for me it's either the 2019 GT1 or 18 GT2 in that order. I do agree that the stinger will not depreciate at the same rate as typical Kias

13. Sabs

We can already see in the graphs how the gap between a GT and GT2 is closing fast for the lowest priced cars, but for average sale prices the difference is still large. No doubt, the older the cars get the smaller the gap will be... however, I do think on average the GT2 will command a pretty good premium for at least another year or so. There's quite a list of differences between a non-drivewise GT and a GT2. For buyers mainly interested in performance, the GT will be the best choice. For those who appreciate creature comforts, only the GT1 or GT2 will be in consideration. Personally I put a lot of value in the upgraded stereo, cooled seats, and drivewise among other features and it seems like many others do too. I believe a fair number of buyers on the used market will be willing to spend an extra $4-7k on 2-3 year old GT2's over the GT.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JVsGT

JVsGT United States Active Member

I leased my first RWD GT2 (Snow White/Black int.) back in February of 2018. I traded in November for a 2019 RWD GT2 (Ceramic Silver/Red int). Trade allowance was $39k, my payoff (lease buyout) was $37,995.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Dave E

In the market for a used GT AWD with advanced driver package in the 24-25k range. When do you guys think that will be possible? I am assuming early 2020 probably. Curious to hear everyones thoughts.

16. MisterMac

MisterMac United States Stinger Enthusiast

Here are the current auction and trade values for a 2018 GT2 with 16,000 miles. Screenshot_20190331-141659_Firefox.jpg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  17. MisterMac

Here is a GT2 RWD 16,000 miles Screenshot_20190331-142059_Firefox.jpg

18. MisterMac

Here is for a GT AWD with 16,000 miles Screenshot_20190331-142323_Firefox.jpg

19. Devo9er

Devo9er United States Member

It depends on total build numbers too. I think the stinger is a widely respected performance sedan for the younger generation of in-the-know enthusiasts but it's well above their price range. There will be a line forming for the off lease and used ones. The Chevy SS was mentioned above and I agree but it was really the Pontiac G8 that was first. GM killed Pontiac but in hindsight realized how great the G8 was and that it had a strong cult. They tried to reboot with the SS but missed the mark..too little too late. The G8s were snatched up like hot cakes by tuners and hot rod kids once they hit the used market and held their value really well because the V8 trims were potent. Of course they're all totaled or beat to shit now. I hardly ever see them anymore now that I think about it...

20. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Stinger Enthusiast Sustaining Member

Sabs - I'm sure you know already, but the SRT392 isn't available with a manual. And it's one I was looking at compared to a Stinger, but I'm not a huge fan of RWD - test drove a scat pack and it was chirping tires in a very mild turn off a stop light. Can't imagine putting any of that power down on bumpy roads.

OTOH, might want to also keep in mind the Q50S/RS. They are neck-and-neck in terms of power/speed with or without a tune (well, ok, the Q50S needs a tune). And Infiniti also discounts heavily. And can be had RWD and AWD. In fact, if it wasn't for their narrow sports seats, I was *THIS* close to buying a 2017 Q50S AWD for around $27K. Add a tune (several good options available) and maybe a few bolt-ons, and you're faster than any Stinger. Not saying the Q50 is miles ahead of a Stinger, but definitely a close competitor, IMHO, and also seeing major deprecitation.

Draft saved Draft deleted