Hey! I see you! Please take two seconds to sign up! We'd love to have you as a member of our Kia Stinger club. You have nothing to lose and so much to gain... :)

USB Port

Discussion in 'Kia Stinger Talk' started by Fred5150, Jul 10, 2019 at 2:47 PM.

1. Fred5150

Fred5150 Canada Newish Member

Good day all,

I was wondering if anyone has found a way or device to use to be able to listen to a USB drive (that has music on it) and still have my USB Android auto plugged in at the same time.

I tried using a USB splitter and that did not work.

Regards,

2. Menissalt

Menissalt United States Active Member

There's only one port. Maybe there's a hub out there that could work where only one usb port works at a time. Now I have to look for one..

3. Fred5150

Thank you for your reply. I have tried a couple different brands of dual USB splitters. One from Logiix's and the other was just a generic cable 2 port dual splitter, neither worked to have both devices working at the same time.

I know I could just load the music from the USB key onto my phone and just use Android Auto, but... /shrugs :)

4. SteveCo

SteveCo Canada 1000 Posts Club!

No - you can't have the car connected to two USB source devices at the same time. It won't accept a hub or splitter.

I have the music loaded on my phone and play from either the car's native music app or via Android Auto - normally the latter. My phone takes an add-in MicroSD card that I use for music, so I'm not worried about space.

I also have the same music loaded on a USB stick, which I briefly used before just deciding to use my phone as I always had it with me anyway.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Fred5150

Thank you for your reply and comments.

Regards,

6. Kazz

Kazz United States 1000 Posts Club! STL Stinger Club Texas Stinger Swarm

Personally, I gave up on Android Auto long ago simply because the phone had to be plugged in. I use Spotify at highest download quality, store their files locally, and listen via bluetooth.

I also gave up on the OEM USB ports charging anything well. I use an accessory (lighter) port charger to get a decent charge.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. turboAWD

turboAWD United States Active Member Sustaining Member

Ah, good to know..

8. turboAWD

I suppose the "update" SD-card slot can't be used for music? That would just be too easy, now wouldn't it, Kia?

9. Berzerker

Berzerker United States Active Member

The USB port is a standard 5V2.1A port that should charge your devices at a fairly quick speed. Make sure you're using the charge-only port (if you've still got that in your car). The data port is 5V.5A.

The SDCard slot is for the Infotainment file storage, can't use it for anything other than that. Not about easy or hard.

10. Legendsk

Legendsk United States Member

I also gave up on Android Auto; 1) It didn't seem to do anything at all that I wanted, 2) It requires the phone be connected with a USB cable - and when it is, the Infotainment system refuses to recognize that the phone is connected. Tried roughly two dozen different cables to make sure it wasn't a cable problem. My USB memory stick with my music on it works just fine.

BTW my Kia Soul was mostly the same way. In the case of the Soul, if I connected the phone with a USB cable, it would give me the message: "Your phone is wet. Please dry the phone and try again." Really! And of course there wasn't anything wrong with the phone and it was just fine plugged into anything else.

11. Thrashmetl

Thrashmetl United States Active Member

Yeah, I highly doubt there’s anyway to do it.

Although I’m on an iPhone, I never even considered Apple Carplay once I learned it had to be plugged in. I too just use the native music player with Bluetooth and Apple Music. Charging isn’t really much of a concern since my phone has a ton of battery life.

Also, if you have Spotify you don’t even have to download your music so you don’t even need a large hard drive on your phone. But if you like your music in high quality audio files on your phone, your best option with an Android is to buy a higher capacity micro-SD card for more storage space if you have a micro-SD port. This would obviously eliminate the need for the separate USB drive.

12. turboAWD

I guess it's for NAV files? But, it's 32 GB. 256 GB sd cards exist, probably even bigger.. At first, I thought it was only for NAV / infotainment UPDATES, not live storage..

13. RUFFSTUFF

RUFFSTUFF United States Active Member

The solution that works for me:

128GB microSD card in my phone for music. Put music on SD card.
    Install Samsung Music on your phone if not already installed.
    Install AnyAutoAudio on your phone. AnyAutoAudio works just like Pandora, Amazon Music, etc. in Android Auto. Just select Samsung Music as the player when running AAA. Now your music library is available on Android Auto and a separate USB drive is not required.

BTW, the USB port obviously doesn't charge as fast as a QC 3.0 charger, but I can pull over 1000mA charge if necessary, and that's still pretty good.

14. RUFFSTUFF

RUFFSTUFF United States Active Member

It's always harder to identify the problem when you choose to ignore the obvious.

• Funny Funny x 1
Draft saved Draft deleted